Brian O'brian

John Ringrose
19th June 2008, 14:59
I'm sure I found a picture of Brian but cannot find it again now. Was Brian Old Man on the ACL Causeway / Conveyor ever ?

I'm sure I sailed with him but cannot remember when it was.

Philthechill
19th June 2008, 15:24
John! Salaams! I've just looked in my Discharge Book and Brian's signature is there for the voyage dated above.
I don't know if you know, or not, but he was lost at sea during some horrific weather in the Bay when he was (presumably) delivering a ship.
If you put Brian O'Brian in the search facility you will see two entries one is yours and the other is under a heading about the container ships. Sparkie2182 put some gen about Brian's loss on there. Cheers, Phil(Hippy)

Nova Scotian
19th June 2008, 17:37
I'm sure I found a picture of Brian but cannot find it again now. Was Brian Old Man on the ACL Causeway / Conveyor ever ?

I'm sure I sailed with him but cannot remember when it was.

Hi:

I sailed, as 2/0, under Captain Brian O'Brien on the Atlantic Conveyor a number of times. I believe he was bagman master between the Conveyor and the Causeway for quite a while. I have a discharge signed by him dated September 26, 1972. He was also master when I left the Conveyor in August, 1973.

Brian was a colourful character and his arrival for the second part of my hitch called for a different approach as to how the job was done. John "Coops" Cooper was the C/O and I often wondered what became of him.

Cheers

John Ringrose
24th June 2008, 17:27
Isn't it surprising how we never hear these things. No I didn't know he was lost at sea. Will have read up on it.

Need to check my discharge book on when I ssailed with him but think it must have been Causeway or Conveyor.

John Ringrose
26th June 2008, 15:59
Phil - can't find the info re Brian that Sparkie put on - for some reason when I search I only get mine. Sure I saw a pic on here somehwere too.

sparkie2182
27th June 2008, 01:10
john...........

captain brian o'brian was lost at sea on New years eve in the late 1970s/early 80s in biscay as master of a ship called the "mark" sailing from the fal to italy loaded with china clay, as i remember.
he was from freckleton, near blackpool, and his death was announced by Stuart Hall (of "its a knockout" fame) on the local n.w. regional news service of the b.b.c

a sad loss.........

hope this brings you up to speed............

best regards.............

John Ringrose
27th June 2008, 11:13
Thanks for that info. Good guy - was it an accident did they find out?

I knew there was a photo of him somewhere even though when you put his name in it doesn't register it. I finally found it under Maihar - pic of him with Derek Roger.

sparkie2182
27th June 2008, 15:17
sorry john.........

i should have made it clear that the ship was lost in a particularly bad blow..............

my apologies.

John Ringrose
3rd July 2008, 14:23
Thanks for the clarification - such a gent - so preumably he had left Cunard then then or was it under charter to Cunard.

What a terrible way to end. I asked the previous question as you never know what happens to people - as I recounted about Ben Lyon on the Mahout so pleased that was cleared up Thanks.

John Ringrose
3rd July 2008, 14:33
Thanks for the clarification - such a gent - so presumably he had left Cunard then or was it under charter to Cunard.

What a terrible way to end. I asked the previous question as you never know what happens to people - as I recounted about Ben Lyon on the Mahout so pleased that was cleared up Thanks.

Derek Roger
5th July 2008, 21:17
Deeply sadened to hear of Brians loss at sea . I sailed on Brocklebanks Mahsud with him when we were on charter to Mitsui .
There is a photo of Brian and I in my pictures for those who may wish to view .

Regards Derek