ELEETS
21st June 2008, 18:40
Hi all. Heard about the site on Thursday when attending Elder Dempster's annual pensioners lunch in Liverpool.
After an apprenticeship at Harland & Wolff in the 1950's (no derogitory remarks, please, the ship was afloat when handed over to the navigators!) I joined ED'S in 1956 after hearing about the beauty of Lagos Lagoon and the Creeks from an old draughtsman who had sailed in the missionary ships. "David Livingstone" and "Mary ****** come to mind. In 1966 with a Chief's ticket, I got married and came ashore to join a local firm of Consultant Engineers and Surveyors and stayed there until six years ago when various little health problems suggested I should call it a day. At least I have got six years out of my annuity. Those who advocate working on till you are 75 by saying that you get a larger annuity, seem to forget that if you fall off your perch at 76, you have not got much of a return for donkeys years of premiums. Four years ago I took up golf for the exercise and play Tuesdays and Thursdays, come rain, hail or shine with three others who have reached their three score and ten. It certainly beats sitting on a bicycle pedalling and going nowhere. I think thats enough waffle for now, I really look forward to exploring this site.
Sorry for the stars after Mary, I'm blessed if I can recall the second name. It's called getting old. For sure, as soon as I post this I will remember.
Henry Steele (Paddy) Belfast.

K urgess
21st June 2008, 20:55
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Paddy.
A nice introduction to the crew.
Find your way around the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

Steve Woodward
21st June 2008, 21:02
Henry,
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us
Steve

benjidog
21st June 2008, 22:00
Welcome from Lancashire.

We have a number of members who worked at H&W and I am sure you will come across them before long.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
21st June 2008, 23:29
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

J Smith
22nd June 2008, 15:43
Welcome ELEETS from James Smith in Aberdeen.
I served with E.D. 1954 - 1970 which would coincide with your
years with the Company.
There were two ships in the Explorer Class whose names began
with Mary. Their names were Mary Slessor and Mary Kingsley.
Regards - J.Smith.

Bruce Carson
22nd June 2008, 16:01
A warm welcome from Michigan to Ships Nostalgia, Paddy.
Make yourself at home and join in our friendly discussions at any time.
David Livingstone's wife, I believe, was named Mary Moffat, but I'm not sure if there was a missionary ship named after her.

Bruce

gdynia
23rd June 2008, 07:49
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
23rd June 2008, 08:39
Greetings Henry and a warm welcome to SN. Nice introduction you gave. Plenty of us engineers on board from examiners to juniors. Bon voyage

Binnacle
23rd June 2008, 08:52
Hi all. I joined ED'S in 1956 after hearing about the beauty of Lagos Lagoon and the Creeks from an old draughtsman who had sailed in the missionary ships. "David Livingstone" and "Mary ****** come to mind. Sorry for the stars after Mary, I'm blessed if I can recall the second name. It's called getting old. For sure, as soon as I post this I will remember.
Henry Steele (Paddy) Belfast.

This is probably the missionary lady Paddy. Well respected in Scotland And Nigeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Slessor