mv Britannic

Bruce Carson
17th June 2005, 00:35
The last of a line.
The Cunard motorship 'Britannic' as issued on a company postcard in the mid fifties.
Built by H & W at Belfast for White Star, launched in August, 1929 and broken up in 1960-1, she measured 26,943GT and her twin screws gave her a cruising speed of about 18 knots.

The Captain must have been very happy to finally see this farewell dinner menu printed. The ship had left the Huskisson Dock almost two weeks late and omitted the Irish call because of a Liverpool tug strike.
With plonk at five shillings a bottle, life was was not all bad.

Santos
17th June 2005, 20:09
BRITTANIC the last of the White Star Line. I saw her many times in the Mersey and at the Liverpool Landing State. A wonderful old ship.

I also saw her sister the Georgic, however she didnt last long after being repaired and disappeared. Brittanic however continued and I remember seeing her leave Liverpool for the last time it was very sad.

Chris.

James_C
17th June 2005, 21:50
As well as being the last White Star ship, she retained her White Star colours to the very end, despite the merger in the early 30s with Cunard.

vix
7th January 2006, 05:38
When I joined the Devon - Liverpool - December 1957 - there was a hulk of a passenger ship being towed away for scrap. It was the first time I saw grown men crying...and all of the docks were silent as she glided by. I was told...and always believed...it was the Britannic...because a scouser said it was and it was the end of an era...the last of the White Star Line...now I read that the Britannic wasn't scrapped until 1960's! I wasn't in Liverpool in 1960 so...what old liner was being scrapped sometime between 14 December 1957 and 06 January 1958? I thought it might be the Largs Bay...but I believe she went in June 1957?

danube4
7th January 2006, 09:45
Hi Vix. I think it was the Empress of Canada you saw. She was taken to Italy for scrap about that time. Pictures of her capsized in my gallery. She caught fire in Gladston dock. All the best Barney.

danube4
7th January 2006, 11:15
Hi Vix. Could you have the wrong date. Just been told the Canada wass towed away in 1954. do'nt know of any other. Barney.

leggoaft
7th January 2006, 15:24
I sailed on the maiden voyage to New York aboard "Britannic" I was a very young passenger travelling with my Mother to visit my Father who was a Master in Ellermans on the India-U.S.A service, and had not been home for over 2 Years.

Baltic Wal
7th January 2006, 16:43
Must be wrong Date, December 1960 the EMPRESS OF FRANCE went to the breakers, she would have been the end of an Era as the newer Empress' were modern motor. EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND was sold in January 1958 but was rebuilt and became the HANSEATIC. I have no record of major British ships goingto the breakers in Dec 1957 on my Database.

Bruce Carson
7th January 2006, 17:21
The 'Georgic' left Liverpool for a short layup period and then scrapping towards the end of 1955.
The final farewell of the last White Star passenger liner built from her home port.

Bruce C.

cavey
7th January 2006, 21:00
I had the privalige to sail in the Britannic (mediteranean crouse 1953) she was one of the happyst ships I ever sailed in, I was a winger on her, last of the White Star liners. When we came back to Liverpool the Ascania was along side the landing stage, the crew had gone on strike over wages and conditions (which beleave me at that time were bad) most of the Britannics crew joined the lads from the Ascania (fodly known as the Ashcan) except for a few of the usual scabs. A lot of the lads got there national service papers while on strike and did there two years national service. You always signed White Star articles on the Britannic, I dont suppose there can be many White Star men left now. Gerry Usher.

vix
7th January 2006, 21:27
Thanks for all the info, I don't think I've got the dates wrong but it could always have been a ship going to lay-up or something similar? I seem to remember the colour of the upper superstructure was a reddish/brown - twin funnels - I think the funnel colours were buff topped off with black? It looked like she had been stripped of everything and was just a shell of a ship. My memory could be playing tricks...but...that's one of the penalties of growing older...??!! Vix

austlar
13th December 2007, 04:45
I was a young passenger on the July 8th or 9th 1959 eastbound sailing of the Brittanic. It was my first passage to Europe, and I was travelling with my parents and my sister. We were in 1st Class in 2 connecting cabins on Main deck. In port in NYC the ship seemed dated and musty, but as soon as we cleared the Narrows, the Brittanic came into her own as a lovely lady of the seas. The cabins were really huge and luxurious with lots of wood paneling and satin bed coverings. Even the bathrooms were huge. The public rooms in first class were elegant yet cozy and made a big impression on me because they were so comfortable. I had previously sailed to South America on a small Delta Line vessel, and the Brittanic seemed vast in comparision. I was in love with ships and quite happy to be on board this pre-WWII beauty. At the time I knew little of her history. I did not know that furniture in the bar and the dining room came off the Aquitania. I know nothing of her history as a trooper. I just knew she was from another era and still putting on a good show. It took 8 or 9 days to complete the voyage. After a brief call in Cobh, the Brittanic landed on my 12th birthday at the Prince's Landing Stage in Liverpool. This was pre-Beatles, but I thought Liverpool looked just dandy from the ship. The boat train down to London was powered by a steam locomotive. That was another treat for me. It was a trip I will never forget. We were slated to return home on the Vulcania (my parents had a thing about smaller ships I guess), but there was a seaman's strike in Italy that upset all the schedules. We ended up returning on the Cristoforo Colombo, which was slick and new and famous as the sister ship of the ill-fated Andrea Doria. It also plied a sunny southern route and had outdoor swimming pools, etc. Everybody in my family was nostalgic for the Brittanic. The C. Colombo seemed cold and antiseptic in comparison to the slow and sturdy old Brittanic.

One last footnote to this recollection. Upon arrival in Liverpool a large contingent of press came on board. Nobody was quite sure why, but upon returning to the States it was amusing to read in TIME Magazine that our voyage was the the last one for the Brittanic'[s captain. On the previous crossing he had had a dalliance with a female passenger that caused quite a scandal. It was enough to finish off his career with Cunard. He had been slated to take the helm of the Queen Mary, but that was not to be.

gdynia
13th December 2007, 05:01
Barney

Empress of Canada as follows

fire Gladstone Dock, Liverpool 25.1.53 & Broken up in Spezia 10.10.54

gdynia
13th December 2007, 05:03
The 'Georgic' left Liverpool for a short layup period and then scrapping towards the end of 1955.
The final farewell of the last White Star passenger liner built from her home port.

Bruce C.

Bruce

She was broken up Faslane 1.2.56(Thumb)

Jeff Taylor
13th December 2007, 14:45
I couldn't help notice that the menu posted a the head of this thread was a far cry from a typical period menu from the Queens. Asssuming it was a first class menu they certainly slimmed down the offerings and skipped the luxury stuff. I sailed first class on QE in the mid '60's, and the menu was endless!

Bruce Carson
13th December 2007, 15:37
Jeff, that was a tourist class menu.
Tasted fine to me and I probably gained a couple of pounds on the way over.

Bruce

Jeff Taylor
13th December 2007, 16:59
That makes sense, Bruce. Thanks for the clarification. Back in those days I would guess that John Bainbridge was Supervisory Chef, and the menus probably tracked pretty closely class by class. Great experience!