Fo,csle explosions

d.r.wing
26th June 2008, 14:29
I seem to remember a BTC tanker that had a dry cargo explosion in the 1950's, and was told by someone who experienced it that a deck plate was tossed over the bridge and landed on the after main deck. Is this a true story or just another sailors tale?

Topherjohn
26th June 2008, 15:29
I seem to remember a BTC tanker that had a dry cargo explosion in the 1950's, and was told by someone who experienced it that a deck plate was tossed over the bridge and landed on the after main deck. Is this a true story or just another sailors tale?

Very interested to hear about in the deck plate flying over the bridge however ............ never mind a teeny weeny deck plate - what about the whole of the midships accommodation of a 3 island tanker blown off the hull into the sea with one survivor? Read all about it at http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=16807 and adjacent photos. Must be other similar stories too I suppose.

d.r.wing
26th June 2008, 16:46
I remember the tragic Stanvac Japan, I was about to start my 1st trip with BTC at the time. Funny how these things didn,t seem to put us off our work on tankers.