Distress Call!

krobertson
26th June 2008, 23:52
Hi everyone

Have joined ships Nostalgia to try and find the missing link in my quest to complete my family history which I've been researching. I've discovered that my great, great Grandad was a Tugboat Master on the Clyde in Scotland in 1901. I know he was master of the SS Flying Phantom at this time but have been unable to obtain information as to when or where the tug was built. I have searched everywhere for at least a picture of this tug but have been unsuccessful. He was also known to have been on the Flying Linnet when he died. If anyone can help or knows where I can get this info, it would be a great help.

Many thanks

KR

benjidog
27th June 2008, 00:04
Hi and welcome to the site from Lancashire.

There are some details of the Flying Phantom here: http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/272505

And Flying Linnet here: http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/296209

Can't help with photos though.

I hope you will enjoy the site and good luck with your research.

Regards,

Brian

K urgess
27th June 2008, 00:12
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, KR.
Helpful crew have struck already I see.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

tridentport
27th June 2008, 00:41
KR, Welcome to SN.
The Flying Phantom was built in 1893 by J. P. Rennoldson and Sons, South Shields. She was sold in August 1931 to Douglas and Ramsey, Glasgow and demolished by the Ayrshire Dockyard Company, Irvine.
The Flying Linnet was built in 1904 by Ferguson Bros., Glasgow. In 1932 she was renamed Maycock, and Kingforth in 1948. Sold in 1960 to Haulbowline Industries Ltd., Passage West, Cork, for demolition.
Above was obtained from The Clyde Shipping Company Glasgow by W. J. Harvey and P. J. Telford. The book contains photos of both tugs.
Regards, Alan.

billyboy
27th June 2008, 01:52
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
27th June 2008, 01:52
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
27th June 2008, 10:57
Greetings KR and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.