Eagle Oil

C.Watt
27th June 2008, 02:28
Good Day
I am the grand daugher of a ex crew member on the San ships. My father was an engineer with Esso and my husband a Captain with chemical tankers. My son is an engineer with BP. When going through my G/fathers discharge book I noticed he had spent a lot of his time on the following ships: San Zeferino, San Melito, San Patricio, San Leonardo, San Dunstano, San Tirso, San Valerio, San Eduardo, San Salvador, San Alberto, San Silvestre, San Amado, san Quirino and the San Conrado. I also found two photographs in the discharge were taken by him (Capt. Mastin) one was taken from the bridge of the San Fabian looking to the stern. The other ship is also showing the company colours on the funnel but is taken from the sea looking at the ship but not sure which ship it is or where it was taken. I do not know which ships he served on in WWII as the ships were not entered in the D/B.

treeve
27th June 2008, 02:56
Hello and welcome to Ships Nostalgia and her merry crew. There are a number of members with an interest in the Eagle ships and I am sure there will be someone along very soon to help you. Best Wishes, Raymond

billyboy
27th June 2008, 04:25
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
27th June 2008, 10:55
Good day to you C Watt and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

K urgess
27th June 2008, 11:05
Welcome aboard.
I'm sure the crew will be able to help with your research.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

ian d.cameron
27th June 2008, 12:17
Hello C.Watt
Could you post some more info, date and place of birth, Discharge Book R Number and what was his first ship after the war? You might be able to back track from crew agreements.
There are one or two Mastin’s at Kew that could fit.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=Mastin&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=bt&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=0&image1.y=0
Also see some medal listings
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?CatID=12&searchType=quicksearch&pagenumber=1&query=mastin&first_date=&last_date=&queryType=1&sortSpec=Score+desc&pagetitle

C.Watt
27th June 2008, 19:50
Thank you ian d.cameron I have checked these sites and my grandfather was Albert Terence Mastin, born in Plastow on the 31/08/1905. I knew that he was awarded the Lloyds Medal, it seems to have gone astray! I did see it about 10 years ago. I know that up until July 1931 he was very happy with Eagle Oil and there was talk with the company about he, his wife and child intended to work in S.America. Not long afterwards his wife died leaving him with a seven week old child. At the time of his death he was serving onboard the San Eduardo with the intension of that being his last voyage. He didn't leave the company then but asked both sets of grandparents to take turns looking after his daughter until she was seven years old. Albert married a crew members sister, believe his name was Stanley Miller not sure if at that time he was 1st mate or Master.

benjidog
27th June 2008, 20:50
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
28th June 2008, 02:29
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Bill Forster
5th August 2008, 23:33
My father, William Redvers Forster (1900-75), was with Eagle Oil from 1921 -9 and was 3rd Engineer on the San Melito in 1926.

The San Melito survived two torpedo attacks in the World War I but escaped World War II unscathed and was only scrapped in 1954.

Bill Forster

Bruce Carson
6th August 2008, 00:03
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
Chances are there will be more responses to your questions--good luck in your endeavors.

Bruce

bert thompson
6th August 2008, 09:49
Welcome
Am sure you will get lots of help on this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

Bill Forster
6th August 2008, 12:06
Can you give us some dates for the years your grandfather was on the "san boats" of Eagle Oil?

I have written a chapter about my father's time on these tankers (1921-9) in an account of his life with the working title "Forty Years at Sea: a voyage with my father".

The tankers circled the South American continent and the round trip of a hundred days was known within the company as going “round and round the mulberry bush”. I remember how puzzled I was as a young boy when Dad told me that he went “round and round the mulberry bush”, despite the ‘East End’ rhyme being so familiar:

Round and round the mulberry bush
In and out the Eagle,
That’s the way the money goes,
Pop! goes the weasel.

Half a pound of tuppenny rice
Half a pound of treacle
Mix it up and make it nice
Pop – goes the weasel!

The Eagle is a pub on the corner of Shepherdess Walk and City Road in Hackney but for the seamen circling the South American continent it was Eagle Oil. The ships in which they sailed had eagles on their flags and funnels and the peaked caps of the officers and the buttons on their uniforms also displayed the eagle of Eagle Oil.

Bill Forster
son of
William Redvers Forster (1900-75)

Bill Forster
20th September 2008, 13:03
Good Day
I am the grand daugher of a ex crew member on the San ships. My father was an engineer with Esso and my husband a Captain with chemical tankers. My son is an engineer with BP. When going through my G/fathers discharge book I noticed he had spent a lot of his time on the following ships: San Zeferino, San Melito, San Patricio, San Leonardo, San Dunstano, San Tirso, San Valerio, San Eduardo, San Salvador, San Alberto, San Silvestre, San Amado, san Quirino and the San Conrado. I also found two photographs in the discharge were taken by him (Capt. Mastin) one was taken from the bridge of the San Fabian looking to the stern. The other ship is also showing the company colours on the funnel but is taken from the sea looking at the ship but not sure which ship it is or where it was taken. I do not know which ships he served on in WWII as the ships were not entered in the D/B.

My father, William Redvers Forster (1900-75) was on the SAN MELITO in 1925 and I give he following brief details in the account of his life I plan to publish:-

-------- snip
He left the San Gerado at Tilbury on the 1 September 1925 and ten weeks later joined the 16,280 dwt San Melito (on left below) at Falmouth as 3rd Engineer. From now on he was appointed as 3rd Engineer on all his subsequent Eagle Oil ships.

He left the San Melito one year later in November 1926. The San Melito survived two torpedo attacks in the World War I but escaped World War II unscathed and was only scrapped in 1954.
---------- end

Was your grandfather aboard at this time? And what was his position?

Unfortunately the CREW LIST is in Newfoundland so I have no further details of his time on this ship.

Bill