History of UK Aggregate Dredgers

Weyport
27th June 2008, 09:19
Calling all UK aggregate dredging personnel who worked ashore or afloat.. I'm currently researching the history of the UK aggregate dredging industry and am looking for information / tales about the industry with which to bring the story of this little known but important trade alive. Thus far I've identified over 200 names of UK aggregate dredgers (some of which, as you will know, are the same ship re-named several times) and nearly 50 companies which owned or operated them. I already have a goodly number of "Did you know....?" facts including; Did you know that the first purpose built UK aggregate dredger came into service in 1924,was a suction dredger with a pump ashore discharge system? Arguably, collecting such facts is the easy part, it being the detail of the day-to-day workings of the ships and their crews which is fundamental to any history of the industry. I was afloat in the trade myself for a few years in the late 1960's and again ashore in mangement for several years before my retiremet a couple of years ago. I and I'm sure many other sand men who log into this site, look forward reading of your experiences and those you know of from previous generations. Thanks in anticipation. Take care out there.
Paul Whittle. Please contact by PM initially.

Treboat
26th August 2008, 00:21
Hi Weyport, I was with Civil & Marine from 1973 to '78 on Cambrae and Cambrook - interesting times - will log back in soon but let me know contact details for more info. Treboat.

Weyport
26th August 2008, 13:26
Thanks for responding Treboat..I have very little on the detail of Civil & Marine's history although I was ashore with Hanson when the company was taken over (never a happy time).... whilst I have the basic details of the ships it will be anecdotal stories about how & where the ships operated together with publishable accounts of "events" which will bring the history of the industry alive...find me by PM
Regards Paul.

bjg
21st October 2008, 22:29
Calling all UK aggregate dredging personnel who worked ashore or afloat.. I'm currently researching the history of the UK aggregate dredging industry and am looking for information / tales about the industry with which to bring the story of this little known but important trade alive.

Just checking: have you information about the dredging on Lough Neagh in Northern Ireland? For anyone who doesn't know, this is the largest lake in the British Isles (big enough to have a horizon) and there are still several firms active in dredging there. For an outline, see http://iwn.iwai.ie/v31i2/neagh.pdf.

bjg

uk083590
1st March 2009, 13:55
i was in the sand serin for 14 years, and in other ships of the south coast fleet as well if thats any help?

Degzie
6th March 2009, 23:04
Hi Weyport, for your info the CAMBROOK having been sold by Civil & Marine arrived in Bahrain in 1984. The Chief Engineer on her arrival was Ronnie Lewis (ex Westminster Dredging.) (At this time I was working on the WD Enterprise and Mark 2 for RBKW Middle east). He informed me that when she arrived she spent a number of months having problems with her generators. they eventually replaced them. I know Ronnie didn;t stay long as he then worked for NMDC in Abu Dhabi. Cheers Degzie

Weyport
22nd March 2009, 10:35
Thanks for that uk083590...not sure which years you were with South Coast but I'm pretty well clewed up on the basics of the more recent fleet ( circa 1970 onwards) but would like to have photos or accounts about any of the following:- Pen Dart /Sand Dart, Sand Diver, Sand Finch /Ronwoolaway, Sand Martin/ Rockwood, Sand Runner / Empire Runner, Sand Skipper / Empire Skipper, Sand Star/Prinses Margriet ...I'm also interesed to hear about any of the "odd jobs" thge shipos were engaged in such as beach replenisment and the carriage of non-aggregate cargoes. Take care. Paul.

Weyport
22nd March 2009, 11:29
Thanks for that Degzie, I remember her "ladder" discharge system as being another source of problems..as she was not an aggregate dredger at best she will probably only get a passing mention in the history....take care. Paul

Weyport
28th March 2009, 19:00
Apologies Degzie, disregard my last..you're talking about the 1967 built C & M dredger Cambrook which was sold in 1984 whilst I'm referring to the mini bulk carrier ex Lena Wessels which was purchased by C & M in 1987 and re-named Cambrook and sold in 2002...for the record, of course the dredger will figure in the history of the industry. Regards Paul

peavey54
17th May 2009, 20:09
Hi Weyport, I've worked on a lot of aggegate dredgers since '78 including some of the 'Solent specials'. Those were the days of 'Fill 'er up' Let me know if you want any stories

hobgoblin
5th July 2009, 15:37
Hi cival marine was started by i believe a guy John Hobbins not sure of date 3vessels i recall was wall brook beverly brook & peterna,running sand ballast from brightlingsea, rowhedge, & martins farm to london river in early 60s i was on wallbrook for a time with a paul wicks, he then went onto serve in Cambrae & i believe Cambrook.(Pint)