To any shipmates I sailed with in Houlder Bros

Dennis Larder
29th June 2008, 13:44
Hi there, My name is Dennis Larder and I sailed in various Houlder Brother ships and also Offshore on the Uncle John, Oregis and Orelia I served Deep Sea on the Hardwicke Grange (5 times) Ocean Transport (4 times) Star Pinewood ( when we ran aground off Vancouver and suffered an engine room fire off the Aluetions and had to limp back to Japan for repairs) Clerk Maxwell, Banbury (2times), Westbury (twice) Oswestry Grange, Upway Grange and the went Offshore with Houlders. I would welcome any news from any one I sailed with.

K urgess
29th June 2008, 14:16
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Dennis.
Plenty of Houlders lads in the crew to swap memories with.
Explore the ship, join in and enjoy the trip.

R58484956
29th June 2008, 14:51
Greetings Dennis and welcome to SN from the south of England. As already stated plenty of ex Houlder lads on board. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

benjidog
29th June 2008, 22:55
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
29th June 2008, 23:05
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

non descript
29th June 2008, 23:22
Dennis, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

gdynia
30th June 2008, 00:51
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

chadders
30th June 2008, 09:14
Hi there, My name is Dennis Larder and I sailed in various Houlder Brother ships and also Offshore on the Uncle John, Oregis and Orelia I served Deep Sea on the Hardwicke Grange (5 times) Ocean Transport (4 times) Star Pinewood ( when we ran aground off Vancouver and suffered an engine room fire off the Aluetions and had to limp back to Japan for repairs) Clerk Maxwell, Banbury (2times), Westbury (twice) Oswestry Grange, Upway Grange and the went Offshore with Houlders. I would welcome any news from any one I sailed with.

Hi Dennis, Your name is familiar and I'm certain we sailed together but can't remember where/when, old age!!! I was 2/0 on the Hardwicke Grange 76/77, Apprentice on the OT 68/69 and 2/0 in 75 and C/O on the Max in '79. So where was it I think probably to OT in 75.

Derek Chadburn

Cuddles
13th August 2008, 19:11

Hi Dennis
What a nice surprise to find that, like me, you had recently joined SN.
Your mention of the "Star Pinewood" brought back many happy memories and it was on that vessel that we first sailed together.
I joined as Bosun in Tilbury and you later Joined on the Canadian west coast.
The time spent on the "Star Pinewood" was one of the happiest trips I've experienced. Usually there is someone on most ships that causes trouble of some sort or another but not on that voyage. Everyone from the Captain down got on with one another. I've mislaid my Discharge Book so I can't recall the Captain's name. Kevin Campbell was Chief Officer and a great fellow to work for and he was'nt afraid to muck in himself. I will never forget the AB
Ivy White, what a character.
The fire you refer to broke out a few days after leaving Osaka for British Columbia. A fuel line broke in the engine room and the resultant fire was very
serious and we were very lucky to get it out. I remember that as we were
getting the Lifeboats ready to abandon ship if necessary, someone was throwing cases of lager into them from the crew bar.
Eventually the Engineers and Electrician managed to get one engine started
and we limped back to Yokohama for repairs.
Whilst in the Shipyard they launched a ship which shot down the slipway
hit our stern. Which resulted in further repairs to us.
There was a Welsh Cook who paid off in Yokahama (name escapes me) and
I heard a year or so later that he drowned in North Shields. He fell into the Tyne when returning to his ship after a night out.
To anyone reading this Dennis and I again sailed together a few years later
on the SSV "Uncle John". Kevin Campbell was also to join that vessel.
Last June I was to meet up with Dennis, whom I had not seen for nearly 20
years at the " Uncle John" reunion. Kevin Campbell was also there and a good time was had by all.
Best Wishes
Alan Smith(==D)

bert thompson
13th August 2008, 20:12
Welcome Dennis to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

NINJA
13th August 2008, 20:26
Hello Dennis,

Dai Davies (Lecky) asked me to pass on his best regards to you.

Ninja.

Dennis Larder
1st September 2008, 20:42
Hi Alan, it was a pleasure to see you and the rest of the boys at the UJ reunion in June. I did notice that every body had grey hair, it must be the fashion. Those that attended included Don Higham and Moira, John Mac, Robbie Burgess, Kevin Campbell, Ben Blyth, Bob Whittaker, Colin Maynard, Willie Jackson, Alex McKenzie, Ken West, Willie Brown, Mike Boland, Jerry Puckett, Malcolm Whitcher, Shaun Roach, Sam Angay, Kenny Saunders, Dave Williams, Jim Nicholson, Joe Sharkey who provided the Entertainment and serenaded my wife Ruby. John Houlder attended for one night after flying himself up from London. He is 93years old now and is now working on a new project, what an amazing man. A few of us spoke to Dai Davies who really wanted to come but was advised not to by his Doctor. He was very upset and tearful. Robbie Burgess and myself are going up to Wrexham to see him in the New Year and hopefully more of you will come. Back to the Star Pinewood Alan, I remember Ivy White Well, Captain Woolf was the Old Man and Peter Chalmers relieved him. A great crew and a good time was had by all. Remember Charlie Miller, what a character. Will be in touch and will also get the photos to you from the reunion. All the best Alan, regards Dennis

saltyswamp
2nd September 2008, 22:14

Welcome to SN Can't remember wether I sailed with you or not would have been either oswestry or upwey
regards
stuart

robbie13
4th September 2008, 20:42
Hi Dennis i remember you from the Uncle John.Seeing all these old names is fantastic.

George Simpson
12th June 2009, 18:37
Hi Dennis it's good to see your alive and kicking, maybe hear from you sometime to catch up on life.

Peter Silk
4th August 2009, 13:41
Dennis

Hi mate. long time, no see. I think the last time I saw you swas when we were paid off somewhere (possibly Avonmouth) and you hired a car to take us both home.

Peter

David Williams
27th August 2009, 22:01

Hi Dennis.
Did sail with Houlders,just the one trip on the
Orelia,way back in 1957.I thought that she was
a great little ship.We went to Bone in North Africa
and Narvik in Norway and Irlam in manchester a few
times.

Dave Williams(R583900)

kmurphy
6th October 2009, 21:36

Hi Dennis, I sailed with you on my first trip to sea as a deck boy on the Star Pinewood, I joined in Seattle, (there will never be another ship like that one) and sailed with you again on the Hardwicke grange, I also sailed on the Cumbria, Humbolt, Cavendish, Joya Mccance, Kayeson, Westbury, Hornby grange, Uncle John and Orelia, Not sure if you would remember me (Kevin Murphy) but you sold me a cassette recorder on that first trip on the Star Pinewood,!! have'nt forgotten, I do remenber Ivy White and Charlie Miller well, Hope you are well, really good to hear from you.
Kevin Murphy.

leigh ashton
5th April 2011, 21:13

Hi Dennis
we had a few good runs ashore down in BA Santos ,Rio im sure you must remember ,last time i saw you i think it was the Uncle John.Hope your keeping well,as i am,takecare,
Leigh Ashton.

Nick Batstone
5th April 2011, 21:35
I had the pleasure of sailing with Ivy on the Estree Grange. Does anyone know if he/she is still alive?

solwayshipping
6th April 2011, 22:19
hi Dennis, it was interesting to read your post especially finding out you have sailed on the Oregis. I used to work on the local tug in Workington when Oregis was a regular visitor with ore along with several others of the Houlder fleet in the late sixties/ early seventies. I was working on the tug (Solway) when Oregis ran aground entering the port, luckily i had my camera with me! the photo appeared on the front page of the local paper at the time. Coincidentally i have just put that photo on my website a couple of weeks ago if your interested. You can find it at ....solwayshipping.webs.com click on the "ore carriers" tab. Danny