First ben line ship

DURANGO
29th June 2008, 16:41
I would like to know the name of the very first ben line ship i would imagine she was a sailing vessel and her name may not have started with the famous Ben , and if at all possible i would like imformation as to how i can obtain a photo of her , it is my intention to build her in a bottle i never sailed in this company which i beleive ranks way up high in the great merchant fleets of the world , i saw them on numerous occasions around the world in those golden days many thanks for any help

john fraser
29th June 2008, 16:52
I would like to know the name of the very first ben line ship i would imagine she was a sailing vessel and her name may not have started with the famous Ben , and if at all possible i would like imformation as to how i can obtain a photo of her , it is my intention to build her in a bottle i never sailed in this company which i beleive ranks way up high in the great merchant fleets of the world , i saw them on numerous occasions around the world in those golden days many thanks for any help
From my memory I think the first ship was the" Carrera".She carried marble from Italy.I have the history at home but am guessing at this.Guessing again I think another was the "Araby Maid"

binliner
29th June 2008, 16:58
according to the book" Ben Line by Michael Strachan" the first ship owned by the Thomsons was the Araby Maid around 1850s. No doubt someone will correct me on this.

Peter4447
29th June 2008, 17:45
George Blake's history of the Ben Line comes up with the 218 ton barqe 'Carrara' built at Limekilns, Fife in 1839 as being the first unit of an independent Thomson fleet. The next was the 'Australia' purchased in 1840.
Peter(Smoke)

DURANGO
30th June 2008, 08:59
George Blake's history of the Ben Line comes up with the 218 ton barqe 'Carrara' built at Limekilns, Fife in 1839 as being the first unit of an independent Thomson fleet. The next was the 'Australia' purchased in 1840.
Peter(Smoke) Many thanks for the answers now i can investigate further all the best mates .

ian d.cameron
30th June 2008, 21:32
Some more info
http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/benline.html

DURANGO
1st July 2008, 11:13
Some more info
http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/benline.html
Ian many thanks for that imformation and the photos are great best wishes .