"D Class"

geoff smith 1932
29th June 2008, 19:31
I am seeking information on the cargo winches fitted to "D Class" ships.In particular I am looking for details of winches used with "The Jumbo".
Regards Geoff.

seeanji
2nd March 2011, 18:29
In common with all the "A" boats and "D" boats all 24 winches were identical W.H. Allen, D.C. motors dirct drive with shaft mounted disc brakes. 4 pole with interpoles and 6 notch controllers with field weakening on the last 2.
The jumbo used 2 rigged for lifting and one each for luffing.

Pat Kennedy
2nd March 2011, 19:51
To the best of my recollection, the winches on all 'D' class were manufactured by Laurence Scott and Electromotors of Norwich and Manchester. In fact this company supplied the cargo winches for every Blue Funnel ship I ever sailed on.
Again, to the best of my recollection winches for the jumbo were as follows;
One for the hoist, one for the topping lift and one for each of the 'steam' guys. a total of four, which would normally be the four winches clustered at the base of the mast.
regards,
Pat

Jardine
25th November 2011, 15:39
The only thing I can remember about the 'D' boats was that they had an inherent stability problem due to the siting of certain machinery high up in the casing deck. Oh yes, we had washing machines in the washrooms and linoleum tiles in the inside alleyways throughout.

Pat Kennedy
25th November 2011, 19:07
The only thing I can remember about the 'D' boats was that they had an inherent stability problem due to the siting of certain machinery high up in the casing deck. Oh yes, we had washing machines in the washrooms and linoleum tiles in the inside alleyways throughout.

That Achilles didn't have a washing machine in the sailor's accommodation when I was in her in 1958.
She did however have the linoleum tiles you mention. I scrubbed them every single day for three and half months.
Pat(Jester)

Jardine
30th November 2011, 17:09
I could never understand what was wrong with the 'A Class' that necessitated a change. In addition to the stability anomaly, operationally they were difficult. Space on top of the sailors house was limited due the siting of the Bosuns house.
Did the reduction in ship dimensions give extra speed? If so, it was at the expense of comfort onboard.

Pat Kennedy
30th November 2011, 17:36
Those six ships we call 'D' class were in fact classed by Holts as Mark A5(the first three) and mark A6, (the second three)
The ships were;
Demodocus, Diomed and Dolius; A5
Antenor, Achilles and Ajax; A6
All six were around 300gt heavier than their 'A' class predecessors, and were officially half a knot slower than the earlier ships, 15kt as opposed to 15.5.
As well as putting the P O's accomodation on top of the sailor's house, they also carried the two after lifeboats up there as well, making it very difficult to work on the winches etc.
Regards,
Pat