Bay Driller

ALAN TYLER
3rd July 2008, 11:55
I was on the Bay Driller from its departure on the Clyde 1983 to when I finished with houlder offshore in 1986. wondering if theres anyone out there who was on the Bay Driller at this time. I was the Camp boss (CH/STWD) the chef was Don Graham, Toolpusher Greg Mclaren.

BOB.WHITTAKER
31st December 2008, 03:02
Alan, I was on Oregis/Uncle John/Bay Driller at same time as you.Now retired living near Clitheroe. Contact If you want Regards Bob Whittaker

marinero
31st December 2008, 19:49
Alan, I was on Oregis/Uncle John/Bay Driller at same time as you.Now retired living near Clitheroe. Contact If you want Regards Bob Whittaker

Welcome Bob.
Have sent you a PM.
Regards
Leo (Thumb) (Thumb) (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
1st January 2009, 15:06

Hello Bob, Great to hear from you, I,m not so far away just outside Garstang ( Catterall). I,ll send you a p/m in the near future maybe we could meet up for a beer and have a natter about days gone by.
All the very Best 2009 Alan

ALAN TYLER
17th February 2009, 18:06
Hi Bob, Just wondering if you got my pm. I,m not really up to speed with this modern technology!!! Would be great to get in touch. Alan.

ALAN TYLER
10th August 2009, 13:53
Anyone know where the B/Driller is now, still working or broken-up? Also the Morecambe Flame?

ALAN TYLER
15th August 2009, 13:24
Anyone know where the B/Driller is now, still working or broken-up? Also the Morecambe Flame?

Hi Bob, Thanks for the info on the BD/MF, I was cycling down Southport way this week and I could see a Jack-up rig in the Liverpool bay area and wondered if it was one of our old rigs. Alan.

timeout
16th August 2009, 02:42
I believe, but I stand to be corrected, that the rig you can almost touch, whilst standing on Southport beach, is the Morecambe Flame, converted to a production unit for the Lennox Field.

Having spent a lot of time on both the Bay Driller and Morecambe Flame, these 2 rigs stand out as unrecognised icons in the development of slant drilling techniques, they were world leaders, and as is so often the case with British technology, there achievments were substantially undervalued.

ALAN TYLER
17th September 2009, 16:23
I believe, but I stand to be corrected, that the rig you can almost touch, whilst standing on Southport beach, is the Morecambe Flame, converted to a production unit for the Lennox Field.

Having spent a lot of time on both the Bay Driller and Morecambe Flame, these 2 rigs stand out as unrecognised icons in the development of slant drilling techniques, they were world leaders, and as is so often the case with British technology, there achievments were substantially undervalued.
This is a bit late in coming but why did the rigs have to drill in this fashion? The reason I heard the the sea-bed was to "hard", any anwers gratefully received
Alan T.

BOB.WHITTAKER
27th September 2009, 23:48
ALAN Regards SLANT DRILLING,the vertical depth of the field on Morecambe Bay was relatively shallow and SLANT drilling techniques allowed the field to produce from a greater area or radius out from the platform than would have been possible if vertical drilling and current ,at that time,directional techniques had been used. All the best,Bob Whittaker.

ALAN TYLER
29th September 2009, 14:02
Thanks for that Bob, hows the pub coming on?

BOB.WHITTAKER
4th October 2009, 20:30
ALAN, the local pub situation is looking very promising, a couple have bought it and are totally refurbing it from top to bottom .It must be costing a fortune ,they hope to be open for Christmas .Once its up and running you must have alook over here,I will keep you posted on progress . Cheers, BOB.

Bill Halliday
8th October 2009, 13:05
Hi Alan,

I'm not good with names but do remember faces.

I took the Flame out of Browns in 83 and was on there until she went in to
Holyhead in 87. I was hardly ever on the Bay Driller. Pete Newman and Paul Bolton were the Techs on there.

As an added bit to Bob's on Slant Drilling, I think it was also the case that
although the pay zone was quite high pressure, it was not very 'thick'. Measured in 10s of meters if even that. Slant drilling allowed them to go along the pay zone rather than through it. This allowed them to produce from more than one section of the well. A huge success, demonstrated by the reduction in the number of required production satellites and wells after the first wells were tested. I can't remember how many wells the Bay Driller did, but the Flame's count in Phase 1 was in the low 30s.

I only happened over this site when looking up Jack Up types for something else. On seeing Bob's comments about Slant Drilling it made me realise the only difference between these rigs and the hundreds of other barges of that design was in fact the Drill Packages. I remember speaking to someone in the 90's who was 'standing by' the two Rigs in Gourock. I'm almost certain he said the packages were being taken off them. Both packages were actually owned by the 'Gas Board'. I wonder what happened to them.

Best regards,
Bill Halliday

ALAN TYLER
10th October 2009, 12:12
Hi Bill
I don,t know about the drill packages being taken off the BD/MF, but the information I have received is the MD is now a Production/Maintenance platform in the Lennox field in the Liverpool bay area. The BD was renamed Glomar Adriatic X1 and has been working worldwide for several years. Regards Alan.

ChandlerBird
26th March 2010, 19:54
Trying to track down photos of the Bay Driller and High Seas Driller, have searched under "photos" without luck. Can anyone help.

Regards
Mark

non descript
26th March 2010, 21:39
Mark
This is far from ideal, but until someone can do better...

ChandlerBird
28th March 2010, 15:42
Thank for log photo. Used to have video of the High Seas Drill being transported and delivered when new, sadly long gone.

ALAN TYLER
31st March 2010, 16:18
Hi Mark, This was taken when I was on the Bay Driller in Morecambe Bay. Alan

non descript
31st March 2010, 17:36
Hi Mark, This was taken when I was on the Bay Driller in Morecambe Bay. Alan

That's a lot better... well done Alan (Thumb)

ChandlerBird
31st March 2010, 18:56
Thanks Alan, great picture.
I'm sure we must of meet, as I was on her, for about 6 weeks, in 83 whilst she was being finished and again for about 6 months whilst the High Seas Driller was in Ireland 86 Dave, chap with a beard from London, was the cook.

ALAN TYLER
1st April 2010, 17:38
Thanks Alan, great picture.
I'm sure we must of meet, as I was on her, for about 6 weeks, in 83 whilst she was being finished and again for about 6 months whilst the High Seas Driller was in Ireland 86 Dave, chap with a beard from London, was the cook.

Mark, We must have met at sometime as I was on the B.D. from the time she was on the Clyde to when I came ashore in 1986. The cook with me was Don Graham from Aberdeen. The Dave you mention could have been Dave Dunnet. Alan.