Thomas Ward shipbreakers Grays, Essex

Roger Jordan
4th July 2008, 19:32
I propose setting up a website that includes the histories of the Thomas Ward Ltd shipbreaking yard at Grays, Essex, and also the history of the nearby-based coaster and sailing barge owner EJ & W Goldsmith.
When moving from Grays to Ireland in early 2007, some disks that had images of various vessels broken up at Wards (1919-1984) "went missing in transit". I am now rebuilding the collection of images (a slow process), but it did occur to me that there might be some members of SN who might be able to help me in this endeavour.
I am particularly looking for images of vessels while at the breaking up berth and any images that depict the stretch of river between what is now Tilbury Grain Terminal and the Procter & Gamble jetty, before 1970.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Roger

KEN WILLIAMS
28th August 2009, 10:18
RODGER I LIVED IN GRAYS ON THE BELMONT . I HAVE A BOOK CALLED THERE LAST RESTING PLACE IT IS ABOUT WARDS OF GRAYS IT IS NOT THE FULL STORY OF ALL THE SHIPS THAT WERE BROKEN UP .THEY LOST A LOT OF THERE RECKORDS IN A FIRE AT THE YARD BUT IF I CAN HELP YOU IN YOUR TASK I WILL .I LEFT GRAYS TO COME TO NEW ZEALAND IN 1966

KEN WILLIAMS gerry.w@sliingshot.co.nz

stan mayes
28th August 2009, 11:20
Hello Roger,
It is a great idea.I missed your posting from last year and I thank Ken Williams for reviving it now and bringing it to my notice.
Did you set up the website Roger?
I was born in Argent Street in 1921 and lived in Grays until 1954.
I was in Goldsmith's sailing barges from 1936 to June 1941 and then went 'deep sea' until 1956.
If I can help you in any way I will.
Best regards
Stan

OLD STRAWBERRY
28th August 2009, 14:23
The old british comedy "Up The Creek" (Peter sellars) was shot there.