benarty- lykes boat collision in the elbe

binliner
5th July 2008, 16:50
does anybody out there have any pictures of the above collision (early 70s)?
On standby in engineroom at time remember Colin Menzies (ch.eng.)shouting at everyone to get on deck to the portside as it struck us forward port and pushed us over a good bit.
spend an exspensive six weeks in dry dock in Hamburg.

motorvision
21st September 2014, 15:39
Just joined, so as I can post this reply, found it whilst perusing the site.
I was 2nd electrician down engine room on the plates, logging "movements" when we were hit, And yes I have a number of photographs/slides of the damage. This had been my first trip after getting married. Need I say my last, as she wasn't to happy about me being stuck in Hamburg. I do remember playing football in drydock, I think it was against a bunch of Polish lads, and we took them for a bottle of Polish Vodka. Anybody that requires photos of the Benarty damage let me know.
Peter Cunningham
(==D)

binliner
28th September 2014, 15:01
hello Motorvision. My recollections through the mists of time was the name of the firewater they gave us was Peter Pomenkin? still shudder when I think of the hangover. Is it possible for you to post your pictures online on the site or send me a private message as to how I could get copies.

A.D.FROST
28th September 2014, 15:27
Just joined, so as I can post this reply, found it whilst perusing the site.
I was 2nd electrician down engine room on the plates, logging "movements" when we were hit, And yes I have a number of photographs/slides of the damage. This had been my first trip after getting married. Need I say my last, as she wasn't to happy about me being stuck in Hamburg. I do remember playing football in drydock, I think it was against a bunch of Polish lads, and we took them for a bottle of Polish Vodka. Anybody that requires photos of the Benarty damage let me know.
Peter Cunningham
(==D)

Why not uploading to the site so we all can see,what was the Lykes boat and who came off the worst?(Thumb)

binliner
28th September 2014, 16:34
Cannot remember the name of the Lykes boat but we definitely came of worst as she struck us with her bow just forward or aft of the heavy lift derrick (memory failing) just as we were in the middle of manoeuvring with an Elbe pilot on board after being at anchor for the night and very thick fog. Rumour had it that we actually sunk in the drydock and they used a Caterpillar to shove the cargo out through the gash in the side.

motorvision
29th September 2014, 09:26
Searched out the slides yesterday. Got nearly a 36 spool full. Will have to borrow a slide scanner from my mate to get them on computer. One or two of the slides are of the ships bar with some of the lads I sailed with

motorvision
6th October 2014, 11:52
Was about to post photos, but still to big. for forum, will have another go. I'll be back later, or I can possibly email some.

motorvision
11th October 2014, 18:04
posted a few photos in gallery. Got over 20 photos including some crew members. shall I keep posting them ?

John Briggs
11th October 2014, 18:09
Yep! Keep posting them please they are very interesting.

motorvision
14th October 2014, 16:02
Posted more photos in "Maritime Casualties"