Cailach, sail trainer Hull Nautical College

southerncross
5th July 2008, 18:04
I am researching the history of the Southern Cross, which was built at Alexander Robertson's Yard at Sandbank, Scotland, and later re-named Cailach.

51', 40 ton, Twin Screw Auxiliary Ketch built for D Guthrie Dunn, Knock Castle, Largs. Classic yacht designed by G L Watson & Co. Launched in August 1930, she set sail on a round the world trip, and arrived in Brisbane in October 1931?? Owned by J R Richmond of Greenock in 1960 and the Hull Fishing Vessel Owners Assoc Ltd in 1969. I believe the Cailach was leased out to the Hull Nautical College?

Does anybody know what happened to the Cailach (ex Southern Cross)?

non descript
5th July 2008, 18:21
Southerncross, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

K urgess
5th July 2008, 18:37
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, southerncross.
Plenty of crew who attended Hull Nautical College so you may get some results.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

benjidog
5th July 2008, 23:48
Welcome from Lancashire.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

R58484956
6th July 2008, 12:01
Welcome SC to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

gdynia
7th July 2008, 00:31
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

doric
8th July 2008, 15:15
Welcome southerncross from Australia, I suggest you try the website :-www.shawsavillships.co.uk who had the new Southern Cross, they might have the history of the ship you are looking for. Regards, Terence Williams.R538301.

southerncross
16th May 2013, 16:24
Cailach (Southern Cross), based on the south coast, was deleted from the Greenock Lloyd's Register Book on 16 Jan 1992, and presumed to have been de-commissioned.

However, it appears she was sold on to a German owner and now, fully restored, is up for sale in Mallorca for the sum of EUR 275,000. See the advert on page 45 of the June issue of Classic Boat magazine.

I hope to finally finish off the history of this yacht, so if anybody has information about her time at the sailing college, please contact me at robyardsb@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks,

Dave Hutchison

southerncross
16th May 2013, 23:13
Website with photos of Cailach (Southern Cross)
http://www.classic-yachts.de/sales/details/148/

Samsette
29th May 2013, 05:05
What a beauty. I love gaff-rigged boats, even if only on the main.

We have some rich ex-Brocklebanks and Bank Line members down in Oz, so you may soon be getting a bite or two. Good luck.

Farmer John
29th May 2013, 16:55
Website with photos of Cailach (Southern Cross)
http://www.classic-yachts.de/sales/details/148/

If I sold everything I have, and I got a good price for the Missus, I could afford about half of it. Perhaps I could start a raffle for the rest, what a splendid sight!

Orbitaman
29th May 2013, 17:43
Interesting to note that the boat has not been returned to her original configuration on deck, with the chartroom/lookout house forward of the foremast.
An aft wheel house in the style of an old fishing boat with room for three if you wanted to be cosy was fitted while in the care of Hull Nautical College and stood higher than the wheelhouse now fitted. The profile is not in keeping with the original layout with after wheelhouse and no forward chartroom with access to the accommodation from there. The only access into the hull from aft was to the engine space.
The original chart table and many fittings were still intact in 1977.

southerncross
10th June 2013, 16:30
Just returned from a trip to Mallorca to see Cailach (Southern Cross) at Port Soller. Have attached a few photos. Hope they bring back fond memories of the training days at the college in Hull.

In the process of tracking down a set of plans.

Any info about her time in Hull would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David