Hamish Mackintosh
8th July 2008, 01:44
Can Someone explain to me what is the use of the little box"Remember me"on the log in line? I seem to have to "Log In" everytime I want to "Get into SN" even if my last visit was only an hour ago??

dom
8th July 2008, 02:04
tick it Hamish, saves you logging in all the time

K urgess
8th July 2008, 10:52
It keeps you logged in until you decide to log out, Hamish.
Unticked it can time out if you don't keep pressing keys or your connection resets.

Hamish Mackintosh
9th July 2008, 16:17
Maybe I was not too clear in my last query, I DO tick it, that is my point, then it forgets me, and I have to log in again even if I am only gone for a couple of hours!

non descript
9th July 2008, 16:31
Hamish, I rather feared that was your query, but whilst I understand the question, sadly I have to admit to not knowing the cure. - Hopefully some of our more IT savvy members will come up with an explanation and even a cure. My interim suggestion is to power down and then re-start, it does seems to cure a multitude of ailments, and might work. My apologies if you have already tried that. (Thumb)

Robinj
10th July 2008, 23:15
I've got the same problem tick the box but still have to do full log in everytime.:confused:

tell
16th July 2008, 01:17
don't log out just close the program, put the url in your favourites

unsteadyken
16th July 2008, 04:46
When you click the box it should then store a "cookie" ( a small text file containing your SN user name and login details) on your computer. The next time you visit SN the website reads the info in the cookie and "remembers" you.
You may be blocking cookies. Go to the menu in your browser and follow the path:
Tools/
Internet Options/ in FireFox labelled Options
Privacy/
You will then see the settings which control whether cookies are accepted on your machine. I'm using IE set on medium and SN remembers me OK
Cookies can also be blocked by your AntiVirus, Anti Spyware or Ad Blocking programs.
If you are using FireFox then you may have the "Clear my private data on exit" ticked which will delete the cookie when you close Firefox

If you post which browser and antispyware program you are using then we can help you further.

A handy little free utility for viewing cookies on your system is
Karens Cookie Viewer v3.6 which you can download from:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptcookie.asp

I'm going to smell the sea today, We're going on a day trip to Skeggy, should be fun.
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
I left my vest and socks there. I wonder if they're dry.

Hamish Mackintosh
16th July 2008, 17:48
Thanks fir the Info ken ! never thought of my cookie options, will try that