blue funnel

chrisreeves
8th July 2008, 23:10
Hello
I just wondered if anyone can remember a Derek Quail, I know he served on blue funnel ships, he was telling me about the pilgrim ships ? and that he went to H.M.S. Conway, I don' know when or what ships he was on, I hope to find out more from him in the next week or so, just thought it would be nice when i see him to say do you remember so and so .
thank you for any help in advance.
Chris reeves

oceangoer
8th July 2008, 23:58
Hello
I just wondered if anyone can remember a Derek Quail, I know he served on blue funnel ships, he was telling me about the pilgrim ships ?

It's likely he served on "Gunung Djati", look her up in Google or search the Blue Funnel thread on this site.

Trevorw
9th July 2008, 23:48
Could also have been "Tyndareus", she was a hadji boat with Blue Funnel far longer than "Gunung Djati"

DURANGO
10th July 2008, 17:04
Could also have been "Tyndareus", she was a hadji boat with Blue Funnel far longer than "Gunung Djati"
Wasn,t the Gunung Djati better know as the old jam butty i think i saw her in the ealy 60,s could it have been in colombo or trincomalee

oceangoer
10th July 2008, 23:46

You're quite right. Tyndareus survived until 9/9/60 when she was broken up in Hong Kong. He could have served in the last years of Tyndareus or first runs of Gunung Djati ..... earlest age =16 (as Middy) + 48 = 64 today.

R651400
14th July 2008, 10:58
In terms of longevity of service I doubt there has been a ship like Tyndareus/GMKX who provided unofficial records of being one of the largest break bulk cargo ships afloat with the highest passenger certificate...