CQ any ex-inmates of Colwyn Bay Wireless College

Don Armour
10th July 2008, 17:29
Did you know that they have their own website and forums?

It's at http://www.wirelesscollege.co.uk/

I only stumbled across it by accident, so there are probably others who haven't heard of it either.

If you were ever there, pop in and say hello, register if you want to or just browse, however, two areas require registration (it's free of course)

lambral
11th August 2008, 19:06
worked ashore with a guy in Saudi name of John Lawrence said he went to Colwyn Bay college?.

bert thompson
11th August 2008, 20:27
Welcome. Must check the Colwyn site and see if one of my lady R/Os Carol Heaps is there
Best wishes
Bert

bert thompson
12th August 2008, 08:36
Got the wrong college. The one I was looking for is/was somewhere in the Lake District. Can't remember the name
Bert

hawkey01
12th August 2008, 10:18
Bert,

think you want Wray Castle.

Hawkey01

Peter Eccleson
13th August 2008, 10:04
Went to Colwyn Bay..... the final course in 1969 - then transferred to Riversdale in Liverpool when Colwyn bay closed.
Wray Castle was the college in the Lake District.

bert thompson
13th August 2008, 10:19
Thanks for putting me on the correct course
Bert.

Moulder
13th August 2008, 11:05
Went to Colwyn Bay..... the final course in 1969 - then transferred to Riversdale in Liverpool when Colwyn bay closed.
Wray Castle was the college in the Lake District.

Hi Peter,
Did you know a chap called 'Tim' - can't remember his last name - he came from Hertfordshire. He joined us at the London Electronics College (Earls Court) to finish the course when Colwyn Bay closed.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Des Thompson
30th January 2012, 14:25
Hi,

Name: Des Thompson
Home town: Berwick upon Tweed
Inmate from: Jan 1968 - April 1969
Ticket gained: 2nd Class PMG
Radio Company: Marconi
Sea going: Ben Line, Kuwait Shipping Company, Souters,
Palm Line, -
Coastal on a few colliers - Corys, Steve Clarks.

Other Radio
Colleges: Briefly Riversdale - (they didn't like long hair then!)
South Shields Marine & Tech.

Ticket gained: MRGC

Shore side: Post Office - Portishead Radio (GKA)
morphed into BT.
BT Radio Surveyor

Currently: Admirlaty List of Radio Signals Editor at the UKHO

My career in a page and I'm still lucky enough to be involved in GMDSS and Maritime Search and Rescue - I attend IMO and other International conferences as the ALRS GMDSS Volume 5 Editor.

As a footnote: My brother Murray Thompson was also at Colwyn Bay in the dying days and moved on to Riversdale and then South Shields.
Murray spent 28 years with the RFA and now enjoys a healthy and happy retirement back in Berwick.

All the best to anyone who may remember me.

King Ratt
30th January 2012, 16:45
Sailed with Murray on a couple of occasions. Last saw him two years ago in Eyemouth at the funeral of another RFA R/O. If you see Murray give him my best regards.
Rab Thomson

Varley
30th January 2012, 16:54
Des, don't remember you as a surveyor, Must remember Murray from CB/Riversdale - there is thriving ex CB 'club' with reunion coming up. David V

Des Thompson
26th April 2012, 16:32
Hi Dave,
Remember you from Riversdale.
Never came across you during my surveying days but I was mainly Scotland and South Wales ( working out of GKA ). I have been to a CB WC reunion, 2006 where I met up with Dave (Baker) and Keith (Davis) and John (Mottram) from my time at the college.
My fondest memory of Riversdale and I wasn't there that long was
Mr. Teasdale with whom I didn't have a great rapport - until he regaled us with the story of his relief coastal voyage on a Russian built ship ( still fitted with Russian kit ) and the excellent hand over notes he had recevied from the leaving R/O - once I told him I was the R/O who left him the notes and the ship was the Al Shamiah (9KCJ) he mellowed somewhat!
Happy times.
Cheers

Des

Des Thompson
26th April 2012, 16:38
Hi Rab,

Very sad when Howden passed away. I relayed your regards to Murray, he sends his.

Cheers

Des

Sailed with Murray on a couple of occasions. Last saw him two years ago in Eyemouth at the funeral of another RFA R/O. If you see Murray give him my best regards.
Rab Thomson

King Ratt
27th April 2012, 20:38
Hello Des.

Thanks.

Rab T