OBSS-garibaldi

CaptJim
11th July 2008, 17:16
came across this photo of the garibaldi aug.49 for any one interested

Davyth
20th October 2011, 01:56
Great to see that. I thought it was the "Warspite" when I was at OBSS in 1952.

Trader
20th October 2011, 17:28
Hi Davyth, I was also at Aberdovey in 1952, course 114, Feb./March. The "Warspite" was the training ship but the "Garibaldi" was laid up there, we used to go aboard her every day to pump the bilges out.

Alec.

Davyth
20th October 2011, 17:47
Right! I'd forgotten that. Remember Warspite for the excitement - forgot Garibaldi for the drudgery!

JIMWILL47
22nd July 2016, 12:36
:sweat:Right! I'd forgotten that. Remember Warspite for the excitement - forgot Garibaldi for the drudgery!

Hi, Davyth, I was at Aberdovey summer 1950 & it was the Warspite i sailed on what an experience that course was i was only 15 & in with grown up men, keeping up was hard, the early morning dip in the river dovey & get dressed before the train came along the beach haha

Tonykshaw
22nd July 2016, 17:30
Before I was married we used to spend a fortnight on holiday in Aberdovey every year. What a lovely lace that is. We boarded above the dress shop opposite a big wooden building. Every morning the old steam engine plus a couple of trucks paid us a visit and you outward bound fellers would come marching down the road prior to going canoeing (if my memory serves me correctly all the canoes were named after red indian tribes) or swimming. Remember both the vessels mentioned and have a photograph of myself and some Arab regaled gentleman on the "Warspite", though I can't remember the occasion. I think these holidays and watching you lads going through your paces made me want to go to sea. However, not with Blue Funnel but Stricks.

Hugh Ferguson
23rd July 2016, 17:25
I remember her in 1943 & 1944 but I think she had gone when I had a spell there in 1953 as an instructor.
Thanks for the picture-super!

JIMWILL47
23rd July 2016, 21:56
Hi I was there in 1950 & Garibaldi had gone then & Warspite was there , but when they changed over i don't know, if anyone has a photo of the Warspite i would love a copy, I have some photo's of my course i will dig them out & put them on, I was the youngest there at only 15 & i am now 82 so i am not sure how many are still around
jimwill47

Hugh Ferguson
26th July 2016, 15:55
Hi I was there in 1950 & Garibaldi had gone then & Warspite was there , but when they changed over i don't know, if anyone has a photo of the Warspite i would love a copy, I have some photo's of my course i will dig them out & put them on, I was the youngest there at only 15 & i am now 82 so i am not sure how many are still around
jimwill47
Not the one you wanted but but another