King Neptune on board

Glyndwr
13th July 2008, 10:08
I was just wondering whether it is still used to celebrate crossing the equator. We even used to do some sort of ceremony on the cargo ships in Clan Line.

The photo was taken in 1974 on board Edinburgh Castle. I am the one with the foam in my face. To my left is Graham Parker (Junior Pursar) and to my right.......forgot her name so apologies Ms.

Any more photos of such events

Glyn

RGascoyne
28th August 2008, 14:26
Some ships still do the ceremony - a few years ago, 2001 on QE2 in the Pacific, they trotted out the usual parade but not as good as we ran on UCL.

stein
28th August 2008, 15:52
I don't think the old style ceremony, giving the fresh ones a real going over, would be allowed anywhere today. I still feel like butting "the barber" and company for the baptism I got, - mind you, that wasn't a passenger vessel, and it wasn't foam in the face that was used but fast setting glue in the other end. I think the meanness often displayed was revenge for what the veterans themselves had been through.
Tougher countries had tougher ceremonies I guess. I remenber a Spanish AB, elevated to bosun, who the first thing he did with his new status was to kick the deckboy several times, with a load laugh. It took us some time to get him to understand that giving the youngest his kicks was not his duty. Wouldn't want a baptism where he had been deckboy! Regards, Stein.

pete cossey
28th August 2008, 15:55
last done that in 1999 on board the sir ernest shackleton (british antartic survey)but it was quite lame but still a good piss up.

andysk
28th August 2008, 16:33
I was just wondering whether it is still used to celebrate crossing the equator. We even used to do some sort of ceremony on the cargo ships in Clan Line.

The photo was taken in 1974 on board Edinburgh Castle. I am the one with the foam in my face. To my left is Graham Parker (Junior Pursar) and to my right.......forgot her name so apologies Ms.

Any more photos of such events

Glyn

Glyn, this brings back some memories - though I would not recognise Graham at this distance ! I'm sure I've some pics from my time on EC at about the same time - if (and it's a very big if!) I can find them, I'll get them on here.

I just did a round trip on the Hurtigruten vessel NORDLYS - King Neptune came aboard after we crossed the Arctic Circle, I have to say it was a bit cooler than the UC days ! He was on his own, no Policemen, no attendants, no Judge etc, the victim who'd guessed the correct time we crossed the Arctic Circle still got ice down the back of his neck.

andysk
1st September 2008, 14:56
I found my pics and have posted them in the 'Life on Board' gallery - is there anybody you recognise there ?

Someone mentioned Jack McNeil, he appears in one of them as The Stooge !

Anyway, enjoy !

price
1st September 2008, 21:32
I remember, on the 'Rhexenor' crossing the line, probably 1954, we, the deck crew spent all the forenoon watch rigging substantial rigid staging over the starboard bow, complete with a short wooden ladder and incorporating many safety features. The Idea was that after lunch the Ch/Off. (King Neptune) would clamber on board over the bow in full view of the passengers and crew. He chickened out and instead hid for'd of the windlass until the given time and clambered over the windlass. What a let down.

Bruce.

LucyKnight
17th June 2013, 19:48
fm Lucy Knight

How many people were put throught the works twice because they didn't have their certificate with them? I was. I crossed the line several times on my first ship at sea and was put throught the first time along with some cadets. Pretty tame afternoon l realized a few years later ( in comparison)

I changed to a new company and not long after joining my first ship with them, the lads decided if I couldn't produce a certificate it had to be repeated. Good thing l hadn't left my radio ticket at home!

This tanker had no swimming pool but never mind it had plenty of fire hoses instead. They went to an awful lot of trouble (bless their cotton socks) and that was just for me since there weren't any other candidates (how considerate of them). They left meat etc stewing in the sun so it went putrid, flour and water dough all sorts, sausages ginger beer in a chamber pot. I locked the radio room but put on a broiler suit just in case. One engineer had had a few tinnies too many and got a bit carried away. I managed to repel one climbing in the hatch from the bridge, then they started attacking the door and the frame was giving. I had no option in the end but to let them it or I would have ended up with an unlockable radio room at the next port. Mayhem took over. There was water cascading down all the decks from the monkey island people slipping over on the flour water etc including myself. Ginger beer and sausages in a bed pan tipped over my head along with putrid meat mixture. I had very long hair then. Then the rugby tackles started amongst all this gunk on the deck (something akin to mud wrestling. This resulted in large bruises down both sides of my body. I was pretty skinny then, unlike now and even worse my eyes stinging so much I couldn't open them and needed anaesthetic eye drops in them to do the evening watch. One senior officer (no names) ended up with his arm in plaster and the next port because he had sliipped over. Consequently going over the line ceremonies were banned on that ship for the rest of the trip.

I took pity on the senior deck cadet (Simon) by the end of his watch on the bridge (He had been King Neptune and used emerald green felt tip pen as eye shadow). Very becoming it was with his uniform. So when l finished l fetched some make up remover and it luckily He couldn't find a way to remove it. the make up remover luckilyworked because he had asked me if l had any nail varnish remover to try. I think he would have need eye drops as well if he'd used that.

Any other females at sea they tried this on with?

Bleurk
19th November 2013, 14:35
Hahaha I remember the ceremony aboard Cape Town Castle 50 years ago on way to Cape town when I was 4 - Family moved to Cape Town when Dad was assigned to HMS Afrikander for two years. we must have crossed the line on about 7 Dec 1963 - I still have my certificate. I have only the vaguest recollection of the details - victim newby, Neptune, a surgeon?, an 'operation' and victim being dumped into the pool.