Jackson Marine Corporation tugs/supply ship's

gde
15th July 2008, 23:01
Way back in the early 70s I was the assistant manager of North Sea Marine Rig Services which was part of the BOC group at it's Peterhead base.
At this time the BP Fortie's field as well as the Frigg field was being built up.
During this time we supplied anything from a simple sewing needle to an anchor and chain,24 hour's a day,7 day's a week.I was also the base manager for Buchan and Johnston/MP Galloway of Leith (they were the main deck/engine/galley ship's stores merchant's for the Ben Line.)We were a very small staff who looked after the daily need's of Brown and Root,Saipem,ETPM,
as well as all the tug/supply boat companies such as Gulf tug's,Theriot,Jackson Marine Corp,as well as many other's.One company who stood out was Jackson Marine,with the Moon supply boats and the tugs such as the Godfather,Mr John H,Mr John H etc.Those ship's were booze free,no drink allowed and were in fact the best maintained fleet in the North sea.With some of the best British,German and American crew's I have ever worked with,they were magic.

Have any member any photo's of either a Moon boat or perhap's my favourite The Godfather (named after the famous film of that name) I would also like to push my luck and perhap's maybe someone has a photo of the B&R lay barge Hercules or maybe a J. Ray McDermott lay barge or my gigantor lay barge the Saipem lay barge Castoro.

The North Sea oil story started from the port of Peterhead and I still have good memories of the first pipe supply boat's to enter Peterhead harbour coming in stern first !!!! The Pecos and the Cimarron both from Texas USA.O' the happy memorie's.

Perhap's you may let me know.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD.

DCMARINE
16th July 2008, 00:56
Have a look at:
www.images-of-ships.me.uk
Look under Tugs or Supply vessels.
Donald Campbell

gde
16th July 2008, 18:06
Donald,

Many thank's,magic.

My most humble apologies,I now remember,you purchased my old engineering magazines for a Calmac Captain friend of yours.
Hope you are keeping well,by the way I sold the tug-boat,it was too much work.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD

Thamesphil
17th July 2008, 10:23
Gavin,

I have a couple of photos of the Jackson Marine tugs at www.shipspotting.com. I think one of them is the "Godfather".

Phil

gde
17th July 2008, 19:05
Hello Thamesphil,
Thank you,I have at long last found some of the tug's which I was involved with during the early day's of The North Sea platform building.The Godfather which was named after the famous film was a very powerfull tug and came alongside in Peterhead on very rare ocassions.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD

Bob cheeseman
18th July 2008, 07:34
Hi there Gavin,try and search the Maui Gas Rig fleet in New Zealand when it was installed,i was a crew member on the Mister Marshall D which was Jackson Marine,the last tug (as we were the smallest in the fleet) to hold the rig in place as thay sunk her .Mister Fred was the other tug.There were a couple of tenders (Moon boats). A lot of photos was taken of this event as it was a first for NZ .They stayed around to also work the Atlas pile barge and the Cocane Pioneer pipe laying barge .Bob c

gde
18th July 2008, 20:04
Many thanks Bob I shall go and have a look now.

Gavn

port captain d murrell
6th April 2009, 00:50
hi gavin,its dennis could you service the zodiac !!!!give me a ring for a chat,regards den (07740090836)

Capt Cliff Roberts
13th May 2009, 12:39
hi gavin,its dennis could you service the zodiac !!!!give me a ring for a chat,regards den (07740090836)

Good morning Dennis,
I believe we know each other? from many years ago.
I worked on the Godfather for a long while in the NS working opposite to J.D. Nunnery.
Regards Cliff.

Nick Balls
13th May 2009, 13:22
I Remember the Moon boats very well in Great Yarmouth .
somewhere at home we still have a set of "Jackson Marine" playing cards !!!
I worked for Star Offshore and some of our Portuguese crews started out in Jackson Marine having become unemployed when the Grand-banks cod fishing finished ( Dory boat fishemen) I know some of these guys would be very interested in this Thread. Many now retired and coming from the Vila Do Conde and Povora de Varsim.
I was working with these guys in 2005 out of Peterhead and always thought it strange that there was this massive connection of Seafaring, fishing and even some of the Gallic traditions between the two places.

Footitt's Folly
11th June 2009, 06:41
Nick - I was the engineer on the tug Godfather. I remember on joining and putting to see in the face of a gale to stabalise a barge that was in danger of breaking free of its tow.

I also worked for Jackson Marine and a pipe vessel called the Hustler.

todd
20th June 2009, 13:45
I have found this old photo I took in the early 1970s.

The "Midnight Moon" at a well-head. Arabian Gulf.
Jim

Donnie Gardin
23rd June 2009, 17:14
Good morning Dennis,
I believe we know each other? from many years ago.
I worked on the Godfather for a long while in the NS working opposite to J.D. Nunnery.
Regards Cliff.Hello Captain Roberts. I remeber you as I also worked on the Godfather as an oiler. Before that I was a deckhand on the Victory Moon with Captain Leo and Mate Mickey. I hope to here from ya soon. Take care. Donnie Gardin

Footitt's Folly
4th July 2009, 08:56
Nick - I have a super 8 movie of moving up the river due to bad weather christmas 1974 where the Hustler and Vagabond as well as the Artic Moon and others were moored due to bad weather in the North Sea. If I can work it out I will try and see if I can put this on the site.

Chiron
30th July 2009, 14:28
Hi everyone, found reference to the supply ship "Vagabond" in this thread whilst doing a search.
I now live in the British Virgin Islands and there's a lot of these older oil rig supply/anchor handling boats running cargo between the islands. There is one that was running interisland cargo named "Vagabond" and it appeared to be the original name in the platework. Unfortunately she came a cropper on Fallen Jerusalem, the wrong side of the Round Rock Passage and now lies with her bow and bridge proudly atop the rocks, whilst the stern is in around 40ft of water.
I am pretty sure she worked the North Sea, as I have all the charts from her wheelhouse, which covers the UK coastline, Norway, Denmark etc and as far south as Gibraltar. There's actually a passage still marked on the northern North Sea chart from the Ecofisk field to Great Yarmouth, perhaps her last North Sea trip? Charts date from 1975.
I have photos if they will help, she is approximately 170ft long and built in the US style before they were properly adapted/designed for North Sea work.
Just would like to know if I'm right, a little bit of history, plus I'm Scottish and have sailed/raced the North Sea numerous times in the Banff/Stavanger Race, latterly the Haliburton North Sea Race. Also have a lot of friends on the rigs and in the Merchant Navy.
Thanks for any help.

steveknudtsen
1st September 2009, 06:46
Hi there Gavin,try and search the Maui Gas Rig fleet in New Zealand when it was installed,i was a crew member on the Mister Marshall D which was Jackson Marine,the last tug (as we were the smallest in the fleet) to hold the rig in place as thay sunk her .Mister Fred was the other tug.There were a couple of tenders (Moon boats). A lot of photos was taken of this event as it was a first for NZ .They stayed around to also work the Atlas pile barge and the Cocane Pioneer pipe laying barge .Bob c

Bob, This is Steve Knudtsen - I was the relief captain that worked on the Mister Fred and the M/V Betty - the two larger tugs assigned to the Kokan Pioneer in the Maui Gas Project days. Its fascinating to find people who remember back that far. Have a good day, Steve

steveknudtsen
1st September 2009, 06:50
I have found this old photo I took in the early 1970s.

The "Midnight Moon" at a well-head. Arabian Gulf.
Jim

Jim, this is Steve Knudtsen I worked for Jackson Marine in the 70s. I was in the middle east working on tugs and supply boats. I also was on a job to New Zealand towards the the end of my time with them. What is your last name?

Steve

steveknudtsen
1st September 2009, 08:42
Way back in the early 70s I was the assistant manager of North Sea Marine Rig Services which was part of the BOC group at it's Peterhead base.
At this time the BP Fortie's field as well as the Frigg field was being built up.
During this time we supplied anything from a simple sewing needle to an anchor and chain,24 hour's a day,7 day's a week.I was also the base manager for Buchan and Johnston/MP Galloway of Leith (they were the main deck/engine/galley ship's stores merchant's for the Ben Line.)We were a very small staff who looked after the daily need's of Brown and Root,Saipem,ETPM,
as well as all the tug/supply boat companies such as Gulf tug's,Theriot,Jackson Marine Corp,as well as many other's.One company who stood out was Jackson Marine,with the Moon supply boats and the tugs such as the Godfather,Mr John H,Mr John H etc.Those ship's were booze free,no drink allowed and were in fact the best maintained fleet in the North sea.With some of the best British,German and American crew's I have ever worked with,they were magic.

Have any member any photo's of either a Moon boat or perhap's my favourite The Godfather (named after the famous film of that name) I would also like to push my luck and perhap's maybe someone has a photo of the B&R lay barge Hercules or maybe a J. Ray McDermott lay barge or my gigantor lay barge the Saipem lay barge Castoro.

The North Sea oil story started from the port of Peterhead and I still have good memories of the first pipe supply boat's to enter Peterhead harbour coming in stern first !!!! The Pecos and the Cimarron both from Texas USA.O' the happy memorie's.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD.

Gavin, I worked in the North Sea on the Eastern Moon and Arctic Moon in 1971 then later worked in the mid-east, far East and New Zealand for Jackson Marine. The attached picture is of the Mister Fred, Mister Marshall and Asian Moon all on the Maui Gas project in New Zealand. The construction barge in the picture is the Kokan Pioneer, a joint venture with Brown & Root and a Japanese firm. I was surprised to see that there were still folks around who remembered the JMC Tugs and Moon supply boats.

Capt. Steve Knudtsen

Burned Toast
1st September 2009, 13:07
Just imagine them comming into Aberdeen today alongside some of the big Maersk boats(Thumb)

todd
1st September 2009, 21:00
Jim, this is Steve Knudtsen I worked for Jackson Marine in the 70s. I was in the middle east working on tugs and supply boats. I also was on a job to New Zealand towards the the end of my time with them. What is your last name?

Steve

Hi Steve, my surname is Todd, and I was working for Gray Macs at the time I took the photo working out of Abu Ali.

Jim

Ron Stringer
1st September 2009, 22:08
...perhap's maybe someone has a photo of the B&R lay barge Hercules or maybe a J. Ray McDermott lay barge or my gigantor lay barge the Saipem lay barge Castoro.

Gavin,

As you well know, there were/still are a number of Saipem Castoro laybarges and you don't say which one you are interested in. If you do a Google Images search on Saipem Castoro, it throws up a lot of photos of the different vessels.

I was on the Saipem Castoro Due sorting out their first ARQ radiotelex installation when she was anchored off Peterhead in the bay below the prison. There are a couple of photos of her at

http://www.saipem.it/flotta/images/castoroII.jpg

and

http://lacasadikikko.enricorotelli.it/gallerie/blog/d/1360-2/saipem_castoro_II.jpg

Capt Cliff Roberts
3rd September 2009, 10:47
Hi everyone, found reference to the supply ship "Vagabond" in this thread whilst doing a search.
I now live in the British Virgin Islands and there's a lot of these older oil rig supply/anchor handling boats running cargo between the islands. There is one that was running interisland cargo named "Vagabond" and it appeared to be the original name in the platework. Unfortunately she came a cropper on Fallen Jerusalem, the wrong side of the Round Rock Passage and now lies with her bow and bridge proudly atop the rocks, whilst the stern is in around 40ft of water.
I am pretty sure she worked the North Sea, as I have all the charts from her wheelhouse, which covers the UK coastline, Norway, Denmark etc and as far south as Gibraltar. There's actually a passage still marked on the northern North Sea chart from the Ecofisk field to Great Yarmouth, perhaps her last North Sea trip? Charts date from 1975.
I have photos if they will help, she is approximately 170ft long and built in the US style before they were properly adapted/designed for North Sea work.
Just would like to know if I'm right, a little bit of history, plus I'm Scottish and have sailed/raced the North Sea numerous times in the Banff/Stavanger Race, latterly the Haliburton North Sea Race. Also have a lot of friends on the rigs and in the Merchant Navy.
Thanks for any help.

Hi I was Master of the "Vagabond" during the 70's hauling pipe from Immingham and Nigg Bay I have a folio of all J.M.C vessels vessels I served on during many years with Jackson's inc, Forties Moon,Mr Robert,Mr Richard, True Grit, Capt Jac,Ruby,Godfather,to name just a few I can't remember the dates but will have a look through old photo's books etc (my excuse is age) to see what I can come up with.
Regards Capt Cliff Roberts.

Capt Cliff Roberts
3rd September 2009, 11:03
Hello Thamesphil,
Thank you,I have at long last found some of the tug's which I was involved with during the early day's of The North Sea platform building.The Godfather which was named after the famous film was a very powerfull tug and came alongside in Peterhead on very rare ocassions.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD

Hi Gavin,
I worked on the Godfather for a long while working opposite J.D.Nunnery and Ray Griffen I will see what I can dig up in the way of photo's etc Steve Knudtsen might also be able to help as he has told me he is still in touch with Miles Rice one of our Port Captain's.She was a wonderful anchor handling Tug and one of the best handling tugs I've ever had the pleasure of running and a very good sea ship,I could tell you of some very hairy moments with her in the North Sea but she allways came out on top.
Capt Cliff Roberts.

Carl ASHPOLE
31st January 2010, 18:44
Hi Folks, my father worked with JMC on suffolk road in the 70's as purchasing manager. I recognise a few of your names and have been on all the JMC boats that came into Yarmouth. If you know of me, feel free to respond. My partner is Jayne Gray who also use to work for JMC at Yarmouth, her name may also ring a bell. Take care and hope to hear from some one from the past soon.

agallaher
7th June 2010, 17:15
Captain Cliff from the Godfather and Donnie Gardin from Mister Pete. Well I will be blown over by a feather. Never thought I would track you two down in a Million years. I too worked with you also on these tugs. Regards, Bert Gallaher

billyboy
7th June 2010, 23:46
Anyone ever come across a guy called Ken beverley on these tugs. Trying to get in touch with him for some years now. he's an old buddy of mine.

Capt Cliff Roberts
10th July 2010, 13:35
Captain Cliff from the Godfather and Donnie Gardin from Mister Pete. Well I will be blown over by a feather. Never thought I would track you two down in a Million years. I too worked with you also on these tugs. Regards, Bert Gallaher

Hi Bert,
I don't open the site very much these days,so surprise,I recall your name but at the moment I can't put a face to it(age is my excuse)I am still in touch with Donnie but havn't heard from him in awhile. I am still in touch with Gene and Pete Domasck and have spoken to Pete on the phone awhile ago.Have tried to trace others with the help of Steve Knutson again.I hear from Miles Rice off and on but many others not a word.Dennis Murrel is still around sent him a message but he didn't reply,Little Brian Jordon has gone to the final anchorage he passed away while in India.
my private mail is cliff.roberts@intamail.com if you feel like dropping me a line or two.
I kept going in a job I loved for many years,but finally had to pack it in through health reasons,(long story) and not all good.
Leaving made a large void in my life as you never get the salt out of your blood. I made many friends throughout my career,but due to circumstances beyond our control you loose touch over the years which is a shame.
Like I say, drop me a line Bert if you have the time.
Kind Regards.
Capt Cliff Roberts.

ddraigmor
12th July 2010, 19:12
Cliff,

Good to see you active again - your posts are very welcome. I never got round to writing that book on the northsea days......but I valued your correspondence nonetheless.

You're right though. You never get the salt out of your blood!

Jonty

vincent simmonds
12th July 2010, 21:05
try drinking MILK

Capt Cliff Roberts
14th July 2010, 13:28
Cliff,

Good to see you active again - your posts are very welcome. I never got round to writing that book on the northsea days......but I valued your correspondence nonetheless.

You're right though. You never get the salt out of your blood!

Jonty Thanks Jonty,things not so good at present!! have to go to Papworth on 23rd of August for quadruple by-pass etc,after having had heart attack earlier in year.You would have thought some of the things we did with vessels in the early days would have given most sane Master's a bloody heart attack then.I shudder to think what the health and safety brigade would have made of it then?? Like I have said before to you its a shame the book never got written,it would have opened the eyes of many,many people who where of the opinion that the North Sea was a pond,remember jonty more chucked it in than stayed,couldn't stand the pace and the long relentless work load running anchors 24/7 six or twelve hour watches etc,etc,7 days a week,to get the job done,Bo Driggers was a master at getting the best out of those that worked with him or for him.You will not see the likes of him again and a few more of that caliber,he was unique in every way.
kind regards mate.
Cliff.

Capt Cliff Roberts
14th July 2010, 13:38
Hi Folks, my father worked with JMC on suffolk road in the 70's as purchasing manager. I recognise a few of your names and have been on all the JMC boats that came into Yarmouth. If you know of me, feel free to respond. My partner is Jayne Gray who also use to work for JMC at Yarmouth, her name may also ring a bell. Take care and hope to hear from some one from the past soon.

Hi, I remember your father well I think his first name was Eddie? also a vague picture in my head of your partner Jane,ask if she remembers the two Julie's that worked in JMC's Office I think one worked for you father in purchasing.
Regards
Capt Cliff Roberts.

Billieboy
15th July 2010, 15:11
Thanks Jonty,things not so good at present!! have to go to Papworth on 23rd of August for quadruple by-pass etc,after having had heart attack earlier in year.You would have thought some of the things we did with vessels in the early days would have given most sane Master's a bloody heart attack then.Cliff.

Good Luck with the surgery Cliff, I had three fitted in '97, best thing that's ever happened. It usually adds at least twelve years to your life, some I know are still going after more than twenty, they were sixty plus when they had the op.

A set of bypasses, is safer than an appendix operation!

ddraigmor
15th July 2010, 19:25
Keep us posted on events, Cliff - we're all of the same ilk on here and I am sure many more members would wish you well for the upcoming op.

Yes - how many guys have thrown semi sub anchors over Peterhead Breakwater in the sort of sea you get close inshore and a full gale blowing? Only ever did it the once but found I preferred to do it out at sea!

Chin up mate!

Jonty

Carl ASHPOLE
30th August 2010, 17:27
Hi Cliff, yep his name was Eddie and Jayne does remember the Julies. She is still in touch with one who is now married to Barry Symonds (Personel manager JMC), and also remembers BIG Julie very well :-)
Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Regards
Carl

timeout
30th August 2010, 21:33
I think the Vagabonds last North Sea trip was to the Frigg Field, and I was a passenger out to CDP01. It would have been about August 1976.
I am certain she was bound for the Gulf straight after finishing at the Frigg Field
If I recall correctly, she didnt have passenger accomodation, and I spent most of the trip reading in the mess.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/95833/title/off-to-the-frigg-field/cat/500

cptpugwash
27th September 2010, 15:54
hi i also sailed on the moon boats out of peterhead and yarmouth took the first moon boat to bombay via the gulf then on to the raliegh anne as oiler i also sailed as ass.eng on a cementcarrier that they had bremen to the gulf

ray witkowski

Bladder
23rd November 2010, 17:20
Hi Gavin,
I was a Load-out Superviser with Total Oil Marine at the BOC Base back in the Seventies along with Bill Fowler.
Wasn,t there a Scots Skipper on one of the Pipe haul vessels.
I think it was the Hustler or True Grit but for the life of me,I cant remember his name.
Maybe someone will remember.

arnie18k
7th December 2010, 02:42
Just want to give a shout-out to any JacMac personnel that may remember me. My name is Arnie Kelso and I was in the North Sea operation from November 1974 to November 1978. I spent most of my time in the Ekofisk field on the Mister Robert (my first command) I still can't believe they would turn an almost 24 year old kid loose on a tug in the North Sea. I worked with Graham Provis(best boathand I've ever seen), Charlie Downs, Ivan Harper, Stan Shelby, Dewey Aaron, Levy McKinney, Phil Hunt(best Chief Engineer ever), Amerigo Barbosa, Roy Davis, Joe Harper, and many others. We served the Brown and Root Barge 279 most of the time, but occasionaly helped the Bar 297 when they were having trouble retrieving anchors. I also worked in the Persian Gulf prior to the North Sea (Hello Steve) and in the Bay of Campeche after the North Sea...then on to Singapore/Brunei. My entire career was with Jackson (in one form or another) from 1972 until 1987. Cheers to all

steveknudtsen
16th December 2010, 00:58
Hello Captain Roberts. I remeber you as I also worked on the Godfather as an oiler. Before that I was a deckhand on the Victory Moon with Captain Leo and Mate Mickey. I hope to here from ya soon. Take care. Donnie Gardin

Donnie,

This is Steve Knudtsen - I sailed with your brother Tom on the maiden voyage of one of the moon boats (Arctic). All the best, Steve

steveknudtsen
16th December 2010, 01:01
Just want to give a shout-out to any JacMac personnel that may remember me. My name is Arnie Kelso and I was in the North Sea operation from November 1974 to November 1978. I spent most of my time in the Ekofisk field on the Mister Robert (my first command) I still can't believe they would turn an almost 24 year old kid loose on a tug in the North Sea. I worked with Graham Provis(best boathand I've ever seen), Charlie Downs, Ivan Harper, Stan Shelby, Dewey Aaron, Levy McKinney, Phil Hunt(best Chief Engineer ever), Amerigo Barbosa, Roy Davis, Joe Harper, and many others. We served the Brown and Root Barge 279 most of the time, but occasionaly helped the Bar 297 when they were having trouble retrieving anchors. I also worked in the Persian Gulf prior to the North Sea (Hello Steve) and in the Bay of Campeche after the North Sea...then on to Singapore/Brunei. My entire career was with Jackson (in one form or another) from 1972 until 1987. Cheers to all

Hey Arnie, greetings. Believe it or not I'm back in school again. Graduate school in Chicago. Send me your email address - mine is steveknudtsen@yahoo.com I'm still in touch with Miles Rice and Pete Domaschk. Steve

Capt Cliff Roberts
7th February 2011, 17:24
Hi Cliff, yep his name was Eddie and Jayne does remember the Julies. She is still in touch with one who is now married to Barry Symonds (Personel manager JMC), and also remembers BIG Julie very well :-)
Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Regards
Carl

Hi Carl sorry about length of time replying to you.Have had a quadruple by-pass at Papworth which didn't go as planned.
I see Barry and Julie now and then as I have done work with Barry over the years on a few projects.BIG!!!!!! Julie I haven't seen or spoke to her for years I have no idea where she is now or where she lives now? I have been trying to place your wife Jayne's face but at present I am at a loss,did she know me when I was with JMC ??
Take Care hope to hear from you soon.My Mail is cliff.roberts@intamail .com
Regards Cliff.

Capt Cliff Roberts
10th February 2011, 12:56

Arnie nice to know you are still around,I keep in touch with steve,Donnie,Pete & Gene Domasck,plus afew others,my mail is cliff.roberts@intamail.com drop me aline if you get the time.
Best Regards.Capt Cliff Roberts

jerome morris
13th February 2011, 15:37
Gentlemen, If I may ask a favor. I have a model of the Mr Darby that I would like to detail the wheelhouse.
Do any of you happen to have a layout or pictures to help me in this search?
Thank you for all your time.

Montydog13
29th August 2011, 18:13
Anyone out there remember (Richard) Paul Ferris - late 70s/early 80s? I've been told he went to work on tugs for Jackson Marine in mid-late 70s then became Master and worked on rig re-supply in Gulf. I am writing a biography about him as he was a most extraordinary man, who sadly died in 1995 and destroyed all his papers before he died so I am really working in the dark here. No idea of exact dates or locations at the moment, but am hping to interview his widow in October. Any memories of him, anyone out there happy to talk to me please reply or PM me. This is a crucial chunk of his life and I am posting all over the place to find someone who knew him/served with him. All replies (warts and all!) will be considered!
Many thanks
F

Paulo Marques
14th October 2011, 01:23
I Remember the Moon boats very well in Great Yarmouth .
somewhere at home we still have a set of "Jackson Marine" playing cards !!!
I worked for Star Offshore and some of our Portuguese crews started out in Jackson Marine having become unemployed when the Grand-banks cod fishing finished ( Dory boat fishemen) I know some of these guys would be very interested in this Thread. Many now retired and coming from the Vila Do Conde and Povora de Varsim.
I was working with these guys in 2005 out of Peterhead and always thought it strange that there was this massive connection of Seafaring, fishing and even some of the Gallic traditions between the two places.

Hello there, my name is Paulo Marques, im from Portugal and son of Manuel Agonia Fernandes Marques, worked on Oceanic Moon with Salvador and Manolo...in 1975 in think, anyone remember??

Phil Hunt
8th December 2011, 15:50
For tugboats see tugboatinfomation.com

Phil Hunt
8th December 2011, 15:58
My self and Cpt Arnie Kelso are seeking information and or whereabouts of are good buddy Charlie Downs. We sailed together with JMC in the North Sea,

GALTRA
9th December 2011, 23:31
Taken on board the DB ATLAS 1 in Singapore Roads. Can't remember who the guys either side of me are, but they were on a Jackson tug we had. Is the man on my right Arnie ? The other was a UK Navigator/Mate I think. Charley

Phil Hunt
10th December 2011, 12:08
GALTRA,thanks for your feed back,unfortunately neither of the two guys are reconisable to me and that includes your good self. I am in regular contact with a number of ex JMC shipmates via Skype so if there are any more of you out there give me a shout! Once again thanks for contacting me, Phil Hunt.

Phil Hunt
10th December 2011, 13:28
Can any one remember a JMC supply boat Capt Gus De-Blok? he was I think, from Lowestoft.The late Ivan Harper and I were passengers on his boat from (sheltering during bad weather)Helegoland to Gt Yarmouth, I think the date could be around December 1976, the boat could well have been the Forties Moon. It was with out doubt the best passage on a supply boat I have ever experienced. Ivan managed to obtain some get you home quickly juice from Gus's private stash,happy days. Info please! Phil Hunt.

dkullman
6th January 2012, 15:19
Just discovered this thread. What a trip down memory lane. There are a lot of very capable mariners (and great people) identified herein! best wishes to all for the New Year. Regards, Darce Kullman

Phil Hunt
6th January 2012, 23:00
Hi Darce, never thought I'd see you on this great web site. Have just been on skype for the past 45 minutes talking to Capt Arnie Kelso,he will,no doubt be giving you a shout in the very near future.We keep in touch on a regular basis and still keep an ear open for news of ex employees of JMC.Surprisingly there are a few of us still out there as are the boats we sailed on. Using various web sites, I have managed to trace most of the boats I'd worked on and the companies who now own them.You can, if you wish,can catch me on skype or Email me at huntlancelot@btinternet.com. Take care,regards Phil Hunt. Happy New Year.

geowellsjunior
30th January 2012, 17:47

hallo Capt Kelso.In late 1973 or early 1974 you came aboard MV Margaret Root,where I was mate at the time. You had just graduated from a naval training college in USA, I believe.we were based in Bahrain JMC for a time, and my wife Anne was on holiday there.I still have a foto of you on the bridge of *Margaret Root. All the best and congratulations on your career so far.

Eric Purser
14th February 2012, 11:51
I first came to the North Sea in the deliveries of MR. CHARLIE, MR. JIM, and MR. PETE. in '76 or so. I stayed on and worked on the supply boats VAGABOND, LIBERTY MOON and NORTHERN MOON. Then I went to the tugs and worked the GODFATHER and MR. DARBY and DR. JACK.

I went to Mexico and worked there for four years. Became Port Captain and later Marine Superintendant for Jackson Marine down there for four years.

Went through the Gulf Fleet aquisition and later the Tidewater aquisition while we were in California, Hawaii and Alaska, and then left after fifteen years or so with them.

Don't know where the old crews are, though I speak to Mr. Ray Ivie from time to time. I'm quite pleased to see posts on here about those boats.

Captian Dag
9th April 2012, 18:10
Here is photo of Crosby Enterprise ex: Godfather. she is still working in the Gulf of Mexico along with many of her sisters.
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1391809

And thanks to Crosby Tugs,Inc. many of these old girls have been refurbished and are still working the oilfield.
http://www.crosbytugs.com/overview.htm

warren.karlsson
1st June 2012, 23:12
I was a shift Electrician on the Kokan Pioneer One [KP1] for the entire duration it was in New Zealand, Maui A, sailing with it to Singapore, via Labuan, for dry dock, then on to the Bombay High Project.
Photograph taken in Golden Bay, just after the jacket arrived from Japan, and suffering some damage in a typhoon on the tow, which we had to go up and repair.
What happened to the KP1, I heard it capsized at Walvis Bay?
I have the KP1 general arrangment drawing and chart for the New Plymouth - Singapore tow, plus many photographs.
Remember 'Mister Fred', 'Marshall D', 'Asian Moon' and Tide Marine supply boats
Marshall D towed KPI to Singapore, and repaired her Generator Electrics on the way.
KP1 lost her Japanese Electric Crane in drydock and replaced by another from a Brown & Root Barge -
KP1 suffered a main switchboard fire off Bombay with pipe on board, being laid, calm weather however and 3 days later we were back at work, with power, water and galley restored.

gde
15th January 2013, 16:25
[QUOTE=Eric Purser;575839]I first came to the North Sea in the deliveries of MR. CHARLIE, MR. JIM, and MR. PETE. in '76 or so. I stayed on and worked on the supply boats VAGABOND, LIBERTY MOON and NORTHERN MOON. Then I went to the tugs and worked the GODFATHER and MR. DARBY and DR. JACK.

I went to Mexico and worked there for four years. Became Port Captain and later Marine Superintendant for Jackson Marine down there for four years.

Went through the Gulf Fleet aquisition and later the Tidewater aquisition while we were in California, Hawaii and Alaska, and then left after fifteen years or so with them.

Don't know where the old crews are, though I speak to Mr. Ray Ivie from time to time. I'm quite pleased to see posts on here about those boats.[/QUOTE

Eric,

Is Ray Ivie still alive ? last time I met Ray was in his office in Rotterdam,a long long time ago.I did know that he had a supply boat/tug of his own.

Kindest regards

Gavin D Elder(retired) Port Of Peterhead,Scotland

Donnie Gardin
13th April 2013, 05:49
It is with a sad heart that I post this. A fine person and a great mariner Eric Purser passed away on April 11, 2013.

mybighonda
5th July 2013, 20:15

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD.
Hi Gavin, my father was a skipper for Jackson Marine in the 1970's. His name was Malcolm Breach. He worked out of Great Yarmouth. I know he skippered the Forties Moon, Ekofisk Moon, Mr Richard and probably others. He worked with a friend of his called Mickey Peak from Lowestoft. Do you recall him?

Regards Steve

mybighonda
5th July 2013, 20:17
It is with a sad heart that I post this. A fine person and a great mariner Eric Purser passed away on April 11, 2013.
Where did Eric come from? My dad worked with an American named Eric in the 70's. I can't recall Eric's surname back then as I wa sonly 10 and he was probably mid 20's. He had a wife called Louise back then.

Regards Steve

Donnie Gardin
6th July 2013, 06:12
Eric was from California.

gde
6th July 2013, 13:47
Hi Gavin, my father was a skipper for Jackson Marine in the 1970's. His name was Malcolm Breach. He worked out of Great Yarmouth. I know he skippered the Forties Moon, Ekofisk Moon, Mr Richard and probably others. He worked with a friend of his called Mickey Peak from Lowestoft. Do you recall him?

Regards Steve

Hi Steve,

Iam quite sure that if your dad was sailing out of Peterhead back in the 70s I would have met him,sadly I suffered a stroke which left me with poor memory.What I can remember is that the guys who sailed with Jackson Marine on board the supply boats or tugs were very experienced and kept their boats spik and span and no booze.The guys from Gt Yarmouth etc had a good knowledge of the North Sea.I spent many happy times with the Jackson Marine guys,just wish I could see a Moon boat again,cheers and all the best Steve.

Gavin

Phil Hunt
7th July 2013, 09:53
Hi, I sailed out of Peterhead for quite awhile in the mid 70s, at times when I was chief engineer with Theriot, to join the Martha Theriot. In fact we had to bring her in for mods to the steering gear hydraulics, the Captain at the time was Raligh Sherbert (a coon ass) a great guy and one of the best tug boat captains I have ever sailed with, I digress.
Most other times it was when I had switched companies, I joined Jackson Marine as chief Engineer of the Mister Andre, had to bring her to the dock once for major repairs to the towing winch. When crew changes took place off shore, prior to shipping out on a supply boat, yes one of the moons, we used to stay over at a guest house called the Deralach? the landlady was very strict, the doo was locked at 22.00 hrs precisely. On one occasion the supply boat bringing in 10 persons was late arriving at the dock, needless to say we were locked out of our digs. The police wouldn't put us up so we had to spend the night on the floor of Arunta( BOC) office. Had the best breakfast ever at mission to fishermen Peterhead. Happy times. Phil Hunt.

gde
7th July 2013, 18:33
Hi, I sailed out of Peterhead for quite awhile in the mid 70s, at times when I was chief engineer with Theriot, to join the Martha Theriot. In fact we had to bring her in for mods to the steering gear hydraulics, the Captain at the time was Raligh Sherbert (a coon ass) a great guy and one of the best tug boat captains I have ever sailed with, I digress.
Most other times it was when I had switched companies, I joined Jackson Marine as chief Engineer of the Mister Andre, had to bring her to the dock once for major repairs to the towing winch. When crew changes took place off shore, prior to shipping out on a supply boat, yes one of the moons, we used to stay over at a guest house called the Deralach? the landlady was very strict, the doo was locked at 22.00 hrs precisely. On one occasion the supply boat bringing in 10 persons was late arriving at the dock, needless to say we were locked out of our digs. The police wouldn't put us up so we had to spend the night on the floor of Arunta( BOC) office. Had the best breakfast ever at mission to fishermen Peterhead. Happy times. Phil Hunt.

Phil,

Was the hotel you were locked out of on the main street called Queen Street ? I can give you more info as I think I knew the owners.Also I remember Theriot very well.The port captain was a proper gentleman,but I cannot remember his name.I also remember the Arunta building (now a cold store/pelagic factory).Yes happy days at the start of the North Sea oil.

Phil Hunt
7th July 2013, 19:26
gde, hi, checking my 1974 diary, I arrived P'Head 1st June sailed aboard the Pacos to join the tug Chippy T (Theriot) we were working with the Harema crane barge puitting down the Forties bravo platform. At that time the port Capt was a certain Keith Brentano. all this is 39 yrs ago, so my facts may be a little off the mark. I Think the guest house was on Queen St, I do know fo afact that the interior was full of antiques and that the landlady would no serve us
steak(too expensive)which really miffed the American skippers.
I worked out of P'Head for some time, and will always remember the imposing site of the Jail when coming in by road from Aberdeen, it was usually raining.
I also remember an hotel run by a guy called Mr Ferrari who was able to extend his opening times to suit the coming and goings of the offshore crews.

gde
8th July 2013, 10:31
gde, hi, checking my 1974 diary, I arrived P'Head 1st June sailed aboard the Pacos to join the tug Chippy T (Theriot) we were working with the Harema crane barge puitting down the Forties bravo platform. At that time the port Capt was a certain Keith Brentano. all this is 39 yrs ago, so my facts may be a little off the mark. I Think the guest house was on Queen St, I do know fo afact that the interior was full of antiques and that the landlady would no serve us
steak(too expensive)which really miffed the American skippers.
I worked out of P'Head for some time, and will always remember the imposing site of the Jail when coming in by road from Aberdeen, it was usually raining.
I also remember an hotel run by a guy called Mr Ferrari who was able to extend his opening times to suit the coming and goings of the offshore crews.

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your reply.The guest house you stayed in was the Dalericht which was owned by the late Mr and Mrs Albert Reid,they were my late brother Jimmy's father and mother in law.She was a tough nut at first but as the years went by she became a wee bit more people friendly.My brother Jimmy ran the Bayview Hotel round the corner which is still owned by his family but sadly is now closed.
Ronnie Ferrrari owned the Caledonian Hotel he also co owned Peterhead Engineering now closed.He is still living but is confined to a wheelchair and lives in Aberdee.Thanks

Colin Hutton
26th September 2013, 22:05
Hello, recently found forum. Brings back some great memories.
My name is Colin Hutton. I was on the Forties Moon and Northern Moon in 1977/78. Captain on the forties moon was Herbert Patz, I think that is the right spelling, great man. I came from Dartford, everyone used to call me a londoner! When I joined forties moon, it was a survey boat. Went to India first year then America in the second. My mate was on the Viking Moon, Oliver Neilson from Woolongong, Australia if I remember rightly. Does anyone remember me, I have photos of forties and northern moon, and some of the pipe lay barges we accompanied to Bombay.

jerome morris
12th October 2013, 14:11
Would any of you gentlemen be kind enough to draw up a cabin layout for me.
I have a Mr Darby tug model and like to know what the cabin layout was like.