DEALMOUTH and DEALBROOK

Capt. Bruno
17th July 2008, 01:59
Looking for people who sailed on those two vessel under those names.
Dealship was a subsidiary of Federal Commerce and Navigation. Interested in knowing the trading patterns of these vessels as well as the reason for the "early" demise of DEALBROOK compared to DEALMOUTH.

gdynia
17th July 2008, 04:00
Did the Dealmouth not get converted into a Bulk Carrier from a tanker and the Dealbrook remained a Tanker carrying Mollases

ARRANMAN35
17th July 2008, 10:34
She was built in 1949 for A P Moller as the Elenora Maersk and converted to a Bulk Carrier in 1960, broken up in 1982 in Turkey.

Capt. Bruno
17th July 2008, 15:58
Dealbrook made one trip to the Canadian Arctic in the Summer of 1963, most likely with a cargo of Arctic Diesel and Aviation Fuel. Was she stricktly a molass tanker the rest of the time?

randcmackenzie
19th July 2008, 00:01
Hello Capt Bruno.

I was in the final stages of an extensive post when I was dumped.

Briefly Dealmouth traded steel coils Europe to the Lakes, Grain Lakes to Europe, Grain Thunder Bay to Halifax, Gypsum Little Narrows to Montreal, then Thunder Bay to Halifax an round and round you go.

After the Lakes closed it was more general grain trading.

If you want a more detailed itinerary I will do my best, I was 3rd Mate on Dealmouth April 65 to May 66.

I think Dealbrook was just clapped out - tankers in these days were pushing it to last 15 years due to the corrosion in unprotected tanks.

Best Regards.

Capt. Bruno
21st July 2008, 16:27
Thank You randcmackenzie for your reply, it is interesting to see that the vessel did some coasting within Canada as well. From what I was able to make out, the owners DEALSHIP Ltd. of London was a subsidiary of Montreal based Federal Commerce and Navigation, can you confirm this?

They had previously owned the vessel under the name of SEAWAY STAR since her conversion from a tanker in 1960.

randcmackenzie
21st July 2008, 23:43
Hello Captain Bruno.

Yes, the beneficial owners were Federal Commerce, and they were also the time charterers.

During the season we did nearly all coasting, and had a license to cross the lakes without pilots.

We did several trips Thunder Bay/Halifax, Little Narrows/Montreal, and even one from Seven Islands to Halifax with iron ore in between times.

I had forgotten she had been named Seaway Star, but now my memory is jogged I believe you are right.

I think the season I did (1965) was her second with denholms, or maybe third.

Denholm also had another Fedcom owned ship under management at that time, the Inverewe, and managed 2 cargo liners they bought in the later sixties.

One was bought from Royal Mail and became Federal Hudson, the other from Brostroms, but she retained her name 'Thuleland'.

I don't think the Federal Hudson ever went on any Canadian coasting run, but the Thuleland did at least one season loading from the St Lawrence to the Arctic.

Fedcom were good to work for as charterers, and one of our perks was to have a television installed in both crew and officer's messes from the time we first reached Montreal until we loaded our last cargo of the season out.

Given the run we were on, it was sometimes difficult to get time to watch it!

Best Regards.