Maid of Glencoul, etc

archie29uk
19th July 2008, 17:34
Hi, does anyone know anything about the Kylsku ferry boats?

Peter4447
19th July 2008, 17:54
There are 3 photos of the said vessel in the Gallery.
Peter4447

vitalspark
19th July 2008, 18:53
Maid of Glencoul is currently relief ferry on the Corran crossing from Onich to Ardgour. Here she is photographed in June 2008.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

archie29uk
21st July 2008, 00:34
Thanks Dave & Peter, for the pics and the info. I was trying to find somemore about it when it worked at Kylsku as my father used to work on it there, and he has just retired. I shall show him the June photo, already showed him the one of her getting built. I'm also looking into the Maid of Kylsku, The Queen of Kylsku & the Glenachulish. Thanks again for your help!

vitalspark
21st July 2008, 01:18
Thanks Dave & Peter, for the pics and the info. I was trying to find somemore about it when it worked at Kylsku as my father used to work on it there, and he has just retired. I shall show him the June photo, already showed him the one of her getting built. I'm also looking into the Maid of Kylsku, The Queen of Kylsku & the Glenachulish. Thanks again for your help!

Archie,
I have two photos of Glenachulish in the Gallery, under Ferries, posted Monday 7th July 2008.
Dave

archie29uk
21st July 2008, 23:19
Thanks again Dave! Could help me one last time, the Queen of Kylesku came after the Maid of Kylesku but before the Maid of Glencoul. I have obtained pictures of both the 2 Maids, & even an audio clip of the MOK's last crossing.
However the Queen has me stumped, can't find any info or pic's on the net of her. Since you've had an answer to my last 2 questions? Any ideas? Thanks again Archie!

vitalspark
22nd July 2008, 00:39
Thanks again Dave! Could help me one last time, the Queen of Kylesku came after the Maid of Kylesku but before the Maid of Glencoul. I have obtained pictures of both the 2 Maids, & even an audio clip of the MOK's last crossing.
However the Queen has me stumped, can't find any info or pic's on the net of her. Since you've had an answer to my last 2 questions? Any ideas? Thanks again Archie!

Sorry, Archie, can't help you with 'Queen of Kylesku'. If I find any info I'll pass it on.
Best wishes,
Dave

vitalspark
22nd July 2008, 19:01

Success, Archie!

I've found a picture of Queen of Kylesku in the following publication:

FERRIES OF SCOTLAND
Second edition: October 1993
ISBN 0 951 3093 4 X
Ferry Publications

Here is the website for the publishers. I suggest you contact them and see if they can help you.
http://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/

Best wishes,
Dave

jimmys
22nd July 2008, 20:18
I used to survey these ferries. They were known as the Corran/ Ardgour ferries. Car and passenger ferries. There was the on duty boat and the standby boat. They were council run ferries.
They were at that time surveyed on the Clyde, mainly Armaleish.
Hard working little boats it could be a bit poor on the weather at that crossing.

regards
jimmys

archie29uk
24th July 2008, 23:39
Thanks once again Dave, you have been very helpful! I shall let you know how I get on, there,s no email address on there site so it'll have to wait until I get a chance to phone them. Great help thanks!

Archie

archie29uk
24th July 2008, 23:48
Thanks for your reply Jimmy, don't know much about the Corran ferry, just that The Maid of Glencoe is the back up there. I did know that The Maid was a council ferry and was free of charge at Kylesku. From what I've been told she seems to be a hard working boat.

Many thanks Archie

archie29uk
6th August 2008, 23:35
FERRIES OF SCOTLAND, Vol 2 arrived yesterday, the Maid of Glencoul & the Glenachulish are in it but the Queen of Kylesku isn't. I'll need to check the ISBN no, but I was assured when I ordered it that, vol 2 just meant the 2nd edition. It says it has been updated, maybe I just missed it somewhere?

vitalspark
7th August 2008, 10:50
FERRIES OF SCOTLAND, Vol 2 arrived yesterday, the Maid of Glencoul & the Glenachulish are in it but the Queen of Kylesku isn't. I'll need to check the ISBN no, but I was assured when I ordered it that, vol 2 just meant the 2nd edition. It says it has been updated, maybe I just missed it somewhere?

Sadly, Archie, you have received the wrong volume. You should have received the original publication, Ferries of Scotland, Second Edition 1993, ISBN 0 951 3093 4 X

Ferries of Scotland Vol.2 is quite different - my copy carries the ISBN number 1 871947 48 0

I suggest you contact the supplier and either try to exchange Vol. 2 for the Ferries of Scotland ISBN 0 951 3093 4 X, or if you wish to keep Vol. 2, ask them to send you the correct book.

The details I have given you are correct - I have both books on the desk beside me as I write. Perhaps, even if they have no more copies of the correct book available, the publishers might still have Queen of Kylesku's picture on file.

Best wishes,
Dave

archie29uk
8th August 2008, 10:40
Thanks again Dave, you been a wealth of knowledge! I'm just going to keep vol 2, well dad's already off with it. He's delighted anyway. I shall try again!

Many Thank, Archie

Cattach
8th October 2008, 11:00
Hi the Marine Harvest Fish Farming company bought a ferry boat for transporting fish food and transporting fish harvests around on Loch Sunart, I am 99% sure that she was the Queen of Kylesku, I used to work for them as a lorry driver up to 1992- 93 and she was still going strong then, hope this might be of some help to you.

neilking
8th October 2008, 17:32
Hi there, some pics of the QoK at these links:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24718842@N04/2922117271/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24718842@N04/2893148073/in/set-72157606265603955/

archie29uk
18th October 2008, 00:21
Thanks to Cattach and neilking, information most useful, Thanks Again!

gaelsail
19th October 2008, 14:05
Another pix of Queen of Kylesku:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertbeale/2946358679/

jimmys
19th October 2008, 14:23
I seem to remember one of these ferries mentioned had Caterpillar engines. Not the usual ferry engine on the Scottish coast.

Does anybody recall which one. I am not 100% certain. A passenger launch used to run from beneath the bridge at Kylescue as well on excursion sails.

regards
jimmy

archie29uk
25th October 2008, 01:04
Thanks,Gaelsail!

Jimmys, I shall see what I can find out about that Caterpillar engine.

Archie

archie29uk
27th October 2008, 01:12
The Maid of Glencoul that 2 Caterpillar engines side by side in the middle which was unusual right enough. She was also fitted with Aqua Masters as well, which I have been told was unusual then as well.

Hope that helps,
Archie

johnnycrofter
13th January 2012, 20:44
Some nice home-movie footage of QUEEN OF KYLESCU in action is now on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psTDteqZbJg

The vessel recalled in fishfarm service at Loch Sunart wasn't the QUEEN OF KYLESCU, but the LOCHABER, built in 1974 for the Corran ferry crossing and indeed the last and largest turntable ferry ever built; she could carry nine cars in three rows of three. Ironically, she was made indirectly redundant by the Kylescu Bridge, for the MAID OF GLENCOUL superceded her at Corran. LOCHABER was bought by Marine Harvest for Loch Sunart operations, but was destroyed in a storm around 1995- a sad end to an interesting craft.

uisdean mor
14th January 2012, 00:28
Hello guys

Also previously mentioned was the Glenahuilish. Still going at Kyle Rhea. Under ownership of Isle of Skye Ferry Company (community owned) she is a treasure to them and makes the summer season for the villages of Glenelg and Arnisdale.

See http://www.skyeferry.co.uk (http://www.skyeferry.co.uk/) for more info
I also witnessed the end of the Lochaber - not a fitting end.
Happy viewing
Rgds
Uisdean

johnnycrofter
15th January 2012, 23:23
That is interesting; could you give a clear date? As far as I can ascertain - from the son of her skipper, and the lad was then a very small boy - it was around the mid1990s.

I have an album on the Corran ferry on my Facebook page - most from old postcards and guddled off the Internet; I should acknowledge particular debt to Neil King and others on Flickr. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150492403957800.385642.544997799&type=1

There are persistent reports that QUEEN OF KYLESCU survives somewhere on the West Highland coast in fishfarm operations but, bearing in mind her age, I'd be very sceptical.

On a happier note, I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that the GLENACHULISH is due tomorrow to revive the Strome ferry service on Loch Carron, following the closure of the A890 road since 22nd December, following serious landslips and rockfall. The service, funded by Highland Council and with the regular Kylerhea crew, will run from 9 am to 5 pm. Given her limited 6-car capacity, priority will be given to emergency vehicles, service vehicles and Lochcarron residents - in that order; but (on a brighter note) passage will be free.

This will, remarkably, be the sixth passenger service run by GLENACHULISH; after six years' service on the Ballachulish crossing, for which she was built, she passed into Highland Regional Council ownership and relieved variously at Corran, Kylescu and Kessock. She was bought for the Kylerhea service in 1983, by then-operator Murdo MacKenzie.

Successful trials at Strome were done on Friday 13th January; good pictures can be seen here - http://www.lochcarron.tv/picoftheday.asp

The full and rather officious Highland Council statement on this revived Strome ferry service - for the first time since 1970! - is here: http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2012/January/2012-01-13-03.htm

archie29uk
21st January 2012, 16:29
Father should me the picture of her in the Press & Journel the other day, on the article about the Strome ferry service. Dad worked on her as well I belive. I've yet to show him how she was in a Hollywood film, Maid of Honour (If I remember the right title).

It would be intresting to find out what happened to the QoK.

kdmac
28th August 2012, 18:36
Some nice home-movie footage of QUEEN OF KYLESCU in action is now on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psTDteqZbJg

The vessel recalled in fishfarm service at Loch Sunart wasn't the QUEEN OF KYLESCU, but the LOCHABER, built in 1974 for the Corran ferry crossing and indeed the last and largest turntable ferry ever built; she could carry nine cars in three rows of three. Ironically, she was made indirectly redundant by the Kylescu Bridge, for the MAID OF GLENCOUL superceded her at Corran. LOCHABER was bought by Marine Harvest for Loch Sunart operations, but was destroyed in a storm around 1995- a sad end to an interesting craft.

the queen of kylesku went to tanera mhor fish farm(summer isles salmon),, was renamed queen of tanera,, has been stripped to a bare shell,, i was skipper for a few years