Blue Funnel Hotel

jimmys
20th July 2008, 16:26
Has anyone heard about a change of use of the old Blue Funnel office at India buildings into a swish up market hotel.I think called the Alexandra Hotel.

regards
jimmys

Bill Davies
20th July 2008, 16:42
The is a new one in Liverpool called ' A Hard Day's Night' which might be the one you are referring to and rather appropriate considering my 6 years in AH.

Just a small aside. Journeyed up to Liverpool yesterday from deepest Shropshire to take a look at the 'Tall Ships' . Did not deviate to look at India Buildings or Odyssey Works. Some memories are to sacred to be tarnished.

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2008, 19:01
Well, I was in India Buildings in March, and there is a medical company occupying most of the floor where Holts were. it is much the same as it always was, and the lifts are the grandest I've ever seen anywhere.
Pat

Bill Davies
20th July 2008, 19:20
Pat,

I doubt that they are still manned.

Bill

Pat Kennedy
20th July 2008, 21:52
No Bill, You have to push the button yourself these days.
Odyssey Works is now called "The Odyssey Centre", and it is a sort of cut price industrial estate with lots of small companies occupying one or two rooms in there. It is noticeable that a lot of nearby premises are painted in Blue Funnel Blue, and my theory is that someone unloaded a lot of paint locally when Ocean Transport and Trading finally pulled the plug.
Pat

eldersuk
20th July 2008, 23:22
I walked through India Buildings with an old ED colleague a couple of weeks ago and we both remarked that the wonderful arcade was starting to look a bit shabby. I don't know who owns the place now but the last Ocean department was Nestor Pensions which occupied one room on the first floor until they switched off their lights on 20th December last.

Derek

makko
22nd July 2008, 04:51
Pat,
Has Atlantic Engineering gone under? They were ex BF, the old fella helped them out occasionally and I did about 7 years ago when they "dropped" a tailshaft!
Rgds.
Dave

Pat Kennedy
22nd July 2008, 08:24
Pat,
Has Atlantic Engineering gone under? They were ex BF, the old fella helped them out occasionally and I did about 7 years ago when they "dropped" a tailshaft!
Rgds.
Dave

Dave,
As far as I know, they are still in Odyssey works. I saw one of their wagons yesterday by Bidston drydock, so maybe they have some work on the Gold Rover which is currently undergoing a refit there.
My brother Jimmy worked for them a few years ago, he was chargehand fitter,
Maybe you bumped into him somewhere along the way.
Pat

R651400
22nd July 2008, 09:45
I walked through India Buildings with an old ED colleague a couple of weeks ago and we both remarked that the wonderful arcade was starting to look a bit shabby. I don't know who owns the place now but the last Ocean department was Nestor Pensions which occupied one room on the first floor until they switched off their lights on 20th December last.
DerekTo walk down the pristine India Buildings arcade March 1956 and see the pride of the Blue Funnel fleet in glass cases all the way down, would bring a glint of pride to anyone's eye. To hear it is looking a tad tawdry brings a tear.
On a more sound note, until recently I was in touch with an ex BF colleague benefitting handsomely from Nestor pensions. I wonder how many now defunct British shipping companies or MNOPF have a similar pension record?

Peter Martin
7th January 2009, 16:49
Talking of which.... Passed by on Boxing Day and leaned out of the car for this one!

Peter Martin
7th January 2009, 16:50
And anybody remember this place?

Tai Pan
8th January 2009, 16:25
And anybody remember this place?

looks like somebody didnt pay their bar bill[=P]

eldersuk
8th January 2009, 23:21
Liverpool Echo reported on Dec.3rd that India Buildings had been without lifts for 11 days, washrooms are unserviced and they are struggling to keep the lights on. All due to the present owners apparent failure to pay their bill!!

Time for a whipround?

Derek

Graham McMorine
9th January 2009, 23:04
Liverpool Echo reported on Dec.3rd that India Buildings had been without lifts for 11 days, washrooms are unserviced and they are struggling to keep the lights on. All due to the present owners apparent failure to pay their bill!!

Time for a whipround?

Derek

Now this really does bring a tear to the eye. A real shame. (Cloud)