M.v. Diomed

Ian
8th April 2004, 00:06
Blue Funnel's cadet training ship DIOMED (V) (1956/7,980 grt) berthed at Vittoria Dock, Birkenhead

CHRIS LITTLEHALES
20th February 2005, 20:53
Diomed
I Sailed On The Above 1968 Two Coastal & Two Deep Sea To Far East It Was Not A Training In Them Days

Trevorw
26th October 2006, 23:07
Just found a brilliant new site for us Ex-Blueflu guys. Go to Rhiw.com, it really is very good!

R651400
29th October 2006, 08:18
Blue Funnel's cadet training ship DIOMED (V) (1956/7,980 grt) berthed at Vittoria Dock, Birkenhead

Midshipmen not cadets.
Diomed took over from Bellerphon as the "middy" training ship in the '50's.

Trader
29th October 2006, 17:07
Midshipmen not cadets.
Diomed took over from Bellerphon as the "middy" training ship in the '50's.

I was on the "Bellerophon" from 1952 until 1954 and did 6 Far Eastern trips plus coasting voyages in that time. She was not a training ship then. The training ship that I remember in those days was the "Calchas".

I believe the "Diomed" took over from the "Calchas".

Trader

Trader
29th October 2006, 17:30
Just found a brilliant new site for us Ex-Blueflu guys. Go to Rhiw.com, it really is very good!

Thanks for that link Trevorw. I clicked on last night and spent a couple of hours on there. Some great Blue Flue photos and articles. I am not an Engineer but the article about coal burners was fascinating. I thought that you just shovelled coal into a furnace and that was it. Not with Blue Funnel though.
I am also interested in the local coasters so I will be going back there later on for another look.

Trader.

Trevorw
29th October 2006, 21:32
Thanks for that link Trevorw. I clicked on last night and spent a couple of hours on there. Some great Blue Flue photos and articles. I am not an Engineer but the article about coal burners was fascinating. I thought that you just shovelled coal into a furnace and that was it. Not with Blue Funnel though.
I am also interested in the local coasters so I will be going back there later on for another look.

Trader.

Glad to be of service!

R651400
30th October 2006, 07:00
I believe the "Diomed" took over from the "Calchas".
Trader

Thanks Trader. It was Calchas until 1956.

Another Blue Funnel and Glen Line site that SN members may not be aware of....

http://www.lairig.co.uk/

Hague
26th February 2007, 21:47
Understand the 'Diomed' ceased to be a cadet ship due to a certain incident in Hong Kong around 1959 when the middies painted 'Cocoa' on the half round.
McDavid was the Master so one can work it out. McDavid was Master of the 'Peleus' (the Xmas ship) after this incident and stayed there until 1964 when he retired and was relieved by Albert Lane. Brother to Sir Herbert, MD of the Glen Line. Tough but fair....... Hughie Davies (recently deceased was the Mate)

John Briggs
26th February 2007, 21:59
A very good site giving the history of most British company training ships is at http://www.rakaia.co.uk/index.html

Trader
28th February 2007, 18:37
Understand the 'Diomed' ceased to be a cadet ship due to a certain incident in Hong Kong around 1959 when the middies painted 'Cocoa' on the half round.
McDavid was the Master so one can work it out. McDavid was Master of the 'Peleus' (the Xmas ship) after this incident and stayed there until 1964 when he retired and was relieved by Albert Lane. Brother to Sir Herbert, MD of the Glen Line. Tough but fair....... Hughie Davies (recently deceased was the Mate)

I sailed on the "Bellerophon" 1952/1954 and Capt.McDavid was master on a couple of the six trips that I made. He was a nice man. The incident that you mentioned in 1959 is probably just a rumour because I heard the same story in 1954.
Just looked in my discharge book and see that A. Lane was "old man" on the "Bellerophon" on a coasting trip. Can't say that I remember him.

Trader.

Hague
28th February 2007, 18:49
Trader,
Re Albert Lane. Sailed with him on the Pyrrhus in 67. Called into Pusan homeward bound only to be advised there was no cargo for us. Unusual for a China Boat. Managed to wrap a stern line around the propeller. Only time I ever saw old Albert get excited.
Hague