Automedon and Gorgon *photos*

zolapower
22nd June 2005, 19:50
My father John Rowley died recently and whilst sorting out effects etc we have come across a couple of his merchant navy diaries and some old photo's. the 2nd diary refers to a voyage on MV Glenartney leaving 21/3/58. The first one refers to a voyage on "gorgon" leaving 23/11/55.
I also have some old photos of ships, possibly Shanghai and the Yangstee. Does anybody recognise location etc
many thanks
andrew

Ps Thu 16.31
I've added another one, anybody recognise the ship. I am in the process of getting all the files small enough to put in the gallery.

More info from mum, he was 3rd engineer moving upto 2nd. Started in 1953 probably on a South American run, on a refridgeration boat. no name i'm afraid
regards

stevecz
22nd June 2005, 23:04
Welcome to the site.
If you scan and post the pictures onto the site I am sure you will get an answer. It could start a good debate.

robbo
23rd June 2005, 02:47
Andrew
Picture on right looks like Hong Kong.
Robbo

R651400
23rd June 2005, 09:22
Right Is defo HK. Centre is a puzzler. With the amount of industrial activity going on in the background I would have opted for Japan but the junk says otherwise. Left looks like a shot of Fujiyama, nearest port for Glen Line would have been Yokohama.
Andrew, why don't you put together a complete portfolio of your father's piccies for the gallery?

zolapower
23rd June 2005, 09:25
my mum can recollect dad telling her about a trip into china, where all camera's were confiscated. He kept his and took some photos apparently

Doug Rogers
23rd June 2005, 09:39
Could the centre picture be Taiwan??, did Glen call there occasionally?, I know we did but it was pretty rare.

stevecz
23rd June 2005, 10:28
Left hand side looks like Mount Fugi, the photo would have been taken on the approach to Yokohama or Tokyo.
Centre, difficult but could it also be Hong Kong.?
Right, right Hong Kong.

Trident
27th November 2005, 02:12
Hi ( my first post) I would say the photo with the Junk in is Definatly Shanghai, I first went there in 1960 on the M.V. Breconshire I think (Glen line). Some of those large Junks looked spectacular towards dusk and were a must for anyone with an interest in photography. As Zolapower has said cameras were forbidden but many of the crew would be tempted. I was hounded by one of the Chinese guards that were posted onboard because he suspected I was about to take photos, about the only way to take pictures would be through your porthole, thatís if your cabin was on that side of the ship

R58484956
27th November 2005, 12:38
Welcome Trident to SN enjoy the site and the photos together with the banter.

cheddarnibbles
28th November 2005, 12:13
my mum can recollect dad telling her about a trip into china, where all camera's were confiscated. He kept his and took some photos apparently

She's right.....they even wired and padlocked the radar scanner.....but I'm convinced your Dad had has camera secreted away and that middle snap is definitely Shanghai.

Trident
29th November 2005, 02:33
Chedernibles, Do you remember the only place we were allowed ashore was to the seamanís mission , all the money had pictures of machinery on it , the smallest denomination had a bicycle and higher up the chain was a rocket.
I am getting away from the thread, I also sailed on the Gorgon between Singapore and W.A as Electrician,1992-1993.

cheddarnibbles
29th November 2005, 16:39
Trident.....Never had the inclination to go ashore in Shanghai...we only stayed overnight to load a few tons of hops, on the old Radnorshire.
I do remember the regimented gangs of Mao workers marching to work and looking over the side to see the women prepare meals of rice and cabbage on their sampans (for breakfast,dinner and tea !!!!)
Then the Chinese crew going down the gangway with their Hercules bicycles and Singer sewing machines to give to their wives (who they saw for six hours about every five years. What a life eh ??????
Thankfully,on a recent private visit to Hong Kong, there was evidence of a complete transformation, with tourists from mainland China spending money in Mongkok like water !!!!!

R58484956
29th November 2005, 16:58
Recently returned from Shanghai, a truly remarkable city, the expansion is something to see, skyscrapers by the dozens, shipyards flat out building by the dozen. The neon scene on a river cruise at night is unblievable. The trip to the airport on the maglev at 432 kph (268mph) is a new experience, when more money is available it will go to Beijing.

cheddarnibbles
29th November 2005, 17:15
Recently returned from Shanghai, a truly remarkable city, the expansion is something to see, skyscrapers by the dozens, shipyards flat out building by the dozen. The neon scene on a river cruise at night is unblievable. The trip to the airport on the maglev at 432 kph (268mph) is a new experience, when more money is available it will go to Beijing.

My financial adviser is always telling me to invest there......best advice I ever had. The profits will pay for next year's trip. !!!!
Hong Kong Airport and connections was a joy to use, so guess one must go back to Shanghai to compare.