Capturing pics from a slideshow

Mick Spear
27th July 2008, 10:09
I have a slideshow from a my recent voyage with some excellent photos on it. There is music in the background. I'm trying to capture some of the pics but to no avail. The slideshow only opens in WinDVD it will not open in Windows Media Player and does not seem to open when using HP Photo program or ACD Systems. There are some good pics that i would like to upload. Any help much apprciated. For info i did not create it, it was created by a shipmate.
Mick S

Huytonbrian
27th July 2008, 10:13
If you're running MS Vista, try the Snipping Tool. Play and pause the video in Media Player. Then snip the screen shot you want.

In Vista, Start - Accessories - Snipping Tool.

Dead easy.

Info here - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/1337cdba-52a2-4704-ad4d-2d7bace605b41033.mspx

Huytonbrian
27th July 2008, 10:15
ive never tried this but i assume it would work. VLC media player should play dvd's. once in the player click "video" > "snapshot"

the image goes to some default place that you can change. mine goes directly to "my pictures" folder

download vlc player here
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

K urgess
27th July 2008, 11:24
You could pause it on the required picture and hit the Print Screen (PrtScn) button then start an editing program, new file and paste from clipboard. Crop the result to the required bit you want and save as .jpg
Probably something like the "snipping" tool Brian mentions.

Kris

Mick Spear
27th July 2008, 13:26
Chaps
Many thanks for your prompt advice, i'm working on it and hoipefully will be abe to post some nice pics.
Mick S

benjidog
27th July 2008, 16:25
What is the file type (the letters after the dot at the end of the file)?

Could be you just need to open it in another programme? If you provide this information I will try and find an alternative approach to opening it for you.

Brian

Mick Spear
29th July 2008, 09:06
What is the file type (the letters after the dot at the end of the file)?

Could be you just need to open it in another programme? If you provide this information I will try and find an alternative approach to opening it for you.

Brian

Hi
Its a DAT fle .DAT it siots ib Segment folder. It will not play in Windows Media player.
Cheers
Mick S

K urgess
29th July 2008, 10:31
If you google ".DAT file" it'll explain that there's not a lot you can do to extract the files.
You must remember to get permission from your shipmate before posting any of them on SN
Cheers
Kris

Mick Spear
29th July 2008, 10:42
If you google ".DAT file" it'll explain that there's not a lot you can do to extract the files.
You must remember to get permission from your shipmate before posting any of them on SN
Cheers
Kris

Kris

Majority are my photos, he compiled a slideshow for me that's all - but i here what your saying. I'm sure the middle-aged queen won't mind me posting them on SN.
Chers
Mick S

K urgess
29th July 2008, 11:04
I'm sure he won't, Mick.
Do you know what software he used to make it in the first place?
It looks like screen capture may be your only option.
Most picture manipulation programs that allow you to start a new picture file will allow you to paste "new file from clipboard". I've just done it with Corel's PhotoPaint and Serif's PhotoPlus. Then you can trim and save as a jpg.
Cheers
Kris