Sea legs....

BobClay
29th July 2008, 09:00
Yesterday I did a 3 hour cruise off Charlestown Harbour (Cornwall) in the Earl of Pembroke, one of the tall ships owned by Square Sail.

I'm a former sparky who's been off the sea for over 20 years. This was the first sailing ship I've ever sailed on. (as opposed to tankers of all sizes, bulk carriers, boxboats, general cargo etc etc).

What an experience ! (and don't they move strangely, my sea legs were a bit wobbly to begin with). This ship is about the same size as Captain Cook's Endeavour, and to think of 90 odd men sailing off into the wide blue yonder to circumnavigate the world (as depicted in a BBC documentary last week) is just stunning.

Ok tall ships guys .... I'm hooked.

For info on the ship:

http://www.square-sail.com/

Sister Eleff
30th July 2008, 16:44
Well done Bob, I know exactly what you mean! (Thumb)

mike N
31st July 2008, 12:55
Great stuff Bob .Spotted The Earl of Pembroke & Kaskelot at anchor in Porlock Bay this morning. Unfortunately no pics ,weather too bad. They both left about 11am bound up channel for Bristol under motor power. Hope to catch them on way down under sail. Bit like a time warp this morning to see these two beauties through the mist and drizzle.

BobClay
1st August 2008, 12:19
Took this piccy of the Earl of Pembroke on early Monday morning just as the Sun was rising off Charlestown Harbour.

Lovely ship.