The Great Riveting Debate

Nish Kampfner
29th July 2008, 13:32
SS Robin 1890 London-built steam coaster with riveted steel hull is undergoing a major 2m restoration, does anyone know of any riveters still in existence and working around or local to Lowestoft? SS Robin has already over the years had welded repairs made to her hull but if, all other things being equal, there is a possibility of making riveted repairs...we need to find the skills....is there anyone left out there? contact me urgently!

surfaceblow
29th July 2008, 17:08
The last rivet repairs I got made on the Marine Floridian (T2) was done by a bunch of bridge riveters from Pittsburgh PA. That was around 1992.

You may have some luck checking bridge repair outfits closer to home.

JimC
29th July 2008, 18:52
SS Robin 1890 London-built steam coaster with riveted steel hull is undergoing a major 2m restoration, does anyone know of any riveters still in existence and working around or local to Lowestoft? SS Robin has already over the years had welded repairs made to her hull but if, all other things being equal, there is a possibility of making riveted repairs...we need to find the skills....is there anyone left out there? contact me urgently!
Try some of the maritime museums, boiler makers of bridge builders.

vectiscol
29th July 2008, 22:39
Didn't George Prior's do some riveting on Waverley during her major refit at nearby Great Yarmouth about four or five years ago?

Gavin Gait
29th July 2008, 22:47
I think there are a couple of riveters working on the hull of the Lydia Eva YH89 which is being refurbished in Lowestoft by Smalls just now

spongebob
29th July 2008, 23:53
Probably the last known skilled riveter in NZ is exactly my age and is living in retirement in Northland's Cable Bay.
It was 15 years ago or more when he was the only man that the NZ Marine Inspecting Authority would allow to replace rivets in the dished end of a water tube boiler drum.
They must be a very scarce breed of tradesmen world wide by now

J Boyde
30th July 2008, 10:42
I did a reasonable amount of riviting during my apprenticeship. The firm built a number of boilers when I was there. Firm does not excist any more. For we it goes back some fifty years plus. Dont forget none the less.
Jim B

Orbitaman
30th July 2008, 10:52
You might try contacting some of the heritage steam railways around the UK. They might have someone who can do some rivetting as steam engines are, by in large held together with rivets. The closet to you would probably be the North Norfolk Railway.

andysk
31st July 2008, 16:40
Have you contacted the Ironbridge Gorge Museum ? In view of their responsibilities there they may well know of some.

The other alternative might be the Black Country Museum at Dudley WM. They have a pair of steel plate semi-detached houses on site which might be of riveted construction.

Good luck with your search.

(Is it too late to learn ?)

Nish Kampfner
31st July 2008, 18:07
thanks all, good ideas and creative lateral thinking....I like it, keep 'em coming!
I'm no technical bod but the main issue as I understand is SS Robin's hull is already welded in part (previous owners patching / doubling) and no-one seems to have a proven method to combining the use of the two technologies riveting and welding side by side - any more for any more?

McCloggie
1st August 2008, 16:57
Orbitman has made my point already - the preserved steam locomotive field.

I believe that the Isle of Wight Steam Railway is getting rivetted boilers made just now.

McC

ssr481
1st August 2008, 17:56
You may also want to contact Project Liberty Ship in Baltimore, Maryland. They operate the SS JOHN W. BROWN and routinely have rivet work done. The last time the BROWN had major riveting done was in 2000, when they sailed to Toledo Ship Repair in Toledo, Ohio. This yard does a lot of work on the Great Lakes ships - see http://www.liberty-ship.com/html/pictures/gl2000drydock(1).html#top

The BROWN is also currently raising funds for more rivet work.. so they may be able to tell you who they may get to do the work done.