M.V Nicoya & M.V Zent

Mike Tiernan
23rd June 2005, 04:48
Sailed on both vessels as an Engineer in 1958

R58484956
23rd June 2005, 15:54
Welcome aboard Mike, did you sail on QE (the real one)

Mike Tiernan
24th June 2005, 02:00
Only stood by her in Southampton with the shore crew, then back to Liverpool.

john martin
22nd August 2005, 22:58
hi mike
zent was a cracker of a ship.i did 3 trips in 59 from jan. to june.2 trips were to tiko and the other to b.a. for apples.i was 2nd cook baker.i think the zent had a wooden deck.
all the best
j.martin

terence
9th September 2005, 23:15
hi john they all had wooden decks how where the bars in tiko if u no what i mean

john martin
18th September 2005, 18:57
hi terence
i am on about the hatch deck where my little galley was.i used to watch the deckies cleaning the wood with big sandstones set in sticks.all the other ships i was on had steel decks and they hosed them down. they used to moan like hell as it was a hot job in the sun.get the lime juice out of the fridge for em.ha ha.i can only remember one bar in tiko. it was like a cafe by the seaside and afew local natives on the deck out to the world. i remember doing a war dance round a fire with a witchdoctor bloke . i think i passed out then .cheers john .m.

terence
4th November 2005, 00:01
john it was the glass house remember the sand stones i wish i had one now tell

Peggy747
6th November 2005, 12:28
Remember queueing up each night outside the Chief Stewards cabin 7 days before and 7 days after TIKO for your "Paludrine" tablet and a tot of rum? in case we got Malaria!
I never got malaria but got to like Rum! Cheers Peter

meirion
23rd February 2006, 19:48
i sailed on the zent as an engineer from december 1957 to june 1959.to tiko and once even as far as buenos aires.happy days!

john martin
24th February 2006, 22:15
hi meirion
i was on zent from feb.to june 1959 no2 cook and baker .we went to ba for apples as we dumped the ripe nana cargo over the side by daka.we also had a deck cargo of grapefruit .captain was wallis a quiet man.
all the best
john [taff]martin

meirion
26th February 2006, 18:58
nice to hear from you taff.doyou remember john davies the carpenter and bob gibson the electrician.was it you who chased us out of the galley for cooking steak on the stove in buenos aires

meirion
26th February 2006, 19:44
Sailed on both vessels as an Engineer in 1958
I Was Furth engineer on the Zent through the whole of 1959 Im sure i remember you Mike.

john martin
9th March 2006, 16:27
nice to hear from you taff.doyou remember john davies the carpenter and bob gibson the electrician.was it you who chased us out of the galley for cooking steak on the stove in buenos aires
hi meirion,
i would have joined you at the steak feast if i had caught you in the galley ha ha. must have been the cook.i sailed with a carpenter who spoke welsh all the time.i think either with the bosun or pumpsman.i have some photos of engineers and allsorts,i,ll try and get them to you.
best wishes
john taff
p.s.will send photo separate as file is too big

john martin
9th March 2006, 17:13
meirion,
here,s photo
john