M.V Defoe & R.M.S Hubert

Mike Tiernan
23rd June 2005, 04:51
Sailed as an Engineer on both vessels in 1959/60

Santos
23rd June 2005, 21:49
Hi Mike,

Worked by on Defoe as a Deck Cadet, but never sailed deep sea on her. I was in Receife when Debrett ( Sister ship )went on fire.( See First Trip Fire ) Sailed deep sea on Raphael, Ronsard, Rubens, ( Rossini Ex Rubens ) and the Sheridan.

Also worked by on Dryden & Devis. I was with Lamports in the 60s, must say they were happy days.

Chris. (Thumb)

Mike Tiernan
24th June 2005, 09:00
Thanks for the speedy response Chris, what happened to the Hubert ? any knowledge of her. Great crew party all the way, Liverpool, Lisbon Barbados (Carnival time) then up the Amazon, fantastic.
I recall Lord Vesty used to travel down from London on the morning train, have lunch aboard the Hubert then catch the afternoon train back.
Regards, Mike.

Santos
24th June 2005, 21:26
Hi Mike,

The Hubert was broken up in 1984 in Alang. If you go to the below website there is a nice black and white photo of her and her history from lauching to being broken up.

http://www.bluestarline.org/booth/hubert4.html

Kind regards

Chris.

glasson
11th July 2005, 02:12
Hi
I was on the Reburn ex Candar Star for 2 years from 1970 happy days!

beejay
31st March 2006, 11:03
I never sailed on the Hubert, but coasted her as the Malaysia in the mid 1960s.

Brian

georged
9th September 2006, 22:32
The Defoe was most unusual in that as the bridge was part of the funnel and the monkey island was the forward end of the funnel you had to climb into this area to take a bearing, and if the wind was astern the main engine exhaust fumes wafted over you.
I did a couple of coasting trips as second mate from Liverpool to Glasgow and back around Christmas and New Year 1964.
In Glasgow while we were loading I remember being approached by an individual who later turned out to be a Board of Trade surveyor, who asked when the lifeboats had been last swung out. As I was only coasting and had no idea I flippantlly suggested years ago, as the paint appeared to be solid around the blocks etc. This landed me in some difficulties with the old man and the taught me the lesson of never offering an opinion unless you know who you are talking to.
Seems an lifetime ago and the idea of going into the funnel to take bearings would now be considered bixarre, but at the time we did not question why.
The design of the D class reminded me of a series of dates boxes stacked up. the lower being three and four holds and the top being the funnel/monkey island.
The Defoe was built in Belfast and ran back and forth to the River Plate for many
years with frozen and chilled beef.
Having visited BA on a number of other L&H vessels I would give a lot to enjoy a good Argentinian steak again.

Santos
9th September 2006, 23:40
Hi Georged,

I would love to taste an Argentinian Steak again too. There is no doubt about it they were the best. I must also say I had some great steaks in Brazil as well.

The D Boats were strange ships wern't they. I remember the Sparks on the Defoe, complaining to me that living and working in the funnel had given him pleurisy, he did nothing but cough and I was surprised that he still sailed on the ship and in fact was allowed to.

Do you remember those big steel shutters above the wheelhouse windows, how they never killed anyone is a mystery.

Chris.

danube4
14th September 2006, 19:17
The Defoe was most unusual in that as the bridge was part of the funnel and the monkey island was the forward end of the funnel you had to climb into this area to take a bearing, and if the wind was astern the main engine exhaust fumes wafted over you.
I did a couple of coasting trips as second mate from Liverpool to Glasgow and back around Christmas and New Year 1964.
In Glasgow while we were loading I remember being approached by an individual who later turned out to be a Board of Trade surveyor, who asked when the lifeboats had been last swung out. As I was only coasting and had no idea I flippantlly suggested years ago, as the paint appeared to be solid around the blocks etc. This landed me in some difficulties with the old man and the taught me the lesson of never offering an opinion unless you know who you are talking to.
Seems an lifetime ago and the idea of going into the funnel to take bearings would now be considered bixarre, but at the time we did not question why.
The design of the D class reminded me of a series of dates boxes stacked up. the lower being three and four holds and the top being the funnel/monkey island.
The Defoe was built in Belfast and ran back and forth to the River Plate for many
Having visited BA on a number of other L&H vessels I would give a lot to enjoy a good Argentinian steak again.

Nice pic of Defoe.
From "We Salute Them". With the Compliments of, Lamport & Holt Line Ltd. 1947. From my scrap book.
Rgds Barney.

makko
14th September 2006, 20:56
Tesco does shrink-pack packets of Argentinian steak.

john shaw
14th September 2006, 21:36
I think this will be your "defoe", built 45, photographed in 69

Santos
14th September 2006, 21:45
Thanks Makko,

We ate them straight off the hoof in South America, so fresh and untouched, you could almost hear them still mooing. The taste was superb and they were cooked to perfection as you wanted them.

These days the steaks are tasteless as the poor cattle get fed on so much processed food and drugs. Very few herds these days munch on proper fodder like they should. Even so called Organic Steaks are tasteless and very much over priced. Why animals fed organically are dearer than animals fed on drugs and processed feedstuff I just dont know.

Chris.

makko
14th September 2006, 23:13
Chris,

I worked for an Argentine-Italian company. My immediate boss loved talking about the Pampas. The Tesco stuff is good. Argentines can cook an old shoe and it would taste wonderful! When Argie family friends came to our house for the first time, Soto's eyes lit up "You've got a fireplace!" Off to the supermarket and he looked at all the sides and picked one out immediately - Tasted great cooked on our open fireplace! You'd never know looking at me but EATING food certainly counts as one of my hobbies!

Hasta pronto amigo!

Dave

Santos
15th September 2006, 20:59
Thanks Dave,

I will try it and let you know. To quote Homer Simpson ' Steak ' the best word in the English Language,

Kind regards,

Chris.

ddrennan
30th August 2008, 16:01

George,
I joined the Defoe in Glasgow around Christmas day '64 and did the run job to Liverpool and then out to BA, Rosario, Montevideo and Sao Paulo. She was unusual with the bridge inside the funnel. She was at one point the "Geelong Star" through L&H's affiliation with Blue Star.
DDrennan

ray morgan
29th July 2009, 13:03
I joined the Defoe in March 1963 as EDH,I missed it in Receife,ended up flying down to Rio ,{good name for a song}and rejoining it,we then done Santos, Rio Grande Sol, Port Alegre were Lord Vestry was supposed to visit the ship, the side of the hull to the quay was painted, gangway scrubbed, bridle and chains painted silver, no one came. {stand down chaps}I was glad ,it was hard painting with a suit on.The aft accommodation was very Spartan, I remember having a good game of football in Santos against a Brazilian team even though we were beaten about 10 nil.{Happy days stay with you for ever.}

nautibuoy42
29th July 2009, 21:21
Ah! Bife' Lomo with a fried egg on top, papas fritas and a bottle of vino rosso, it's making my mouth water even now thinking about it!! Glyn.

K urgess
29th July 2009, 21:51
Beefie de lomo completo a dos huevos i papas fritas, por favor, Senor. (Thumb)
Should be patatas but they knew what we meant. [=P]
Dockers' cafe not far from the gate at Basin A, BA.

ray morgan
29th July 2009, 22:59
I always said sin garlic.

nautibuoy42
31st July 2009, 21:49
I always said sin garlic.

No No Senor! con garlic! round the buoy!(Eat)

ray morgan
1st August 2009, 12:31
I always thought sin was without garlic, very rusty on my Spanish.

K urgess
1st August 2009, 13:44
You're right, Ray.
Con mean "with" (Chilli con carne - Chile with meat)
I think nautiboy42 is a fan of garlic and saying that it shouldn't be eaten without.
I don't remember garlic on mine but it was 52 years ago. (Sad)

ray morgan
1st August 2009, 20:12
Thanks for that im 66 shortly the old grey matter is slowly letting me down. regards Ray.

nautibuoy42
1st August 2009, 21:54
Thanks for that im 66 shortly the old grey matter is slowly letting me down. regards Ray.

Tell you what Ray, they were great with or without garlic as long as there was a bottle of rough red to wash it down!(Thumb)

desmacca
23rd October 2009, 20:38
Hi
I was wondering if any body sailed in the Defoe between 1964-1966, who may remember a Bosun named Des McMillan ( my Father), he unfortunately passed away 9/10/09,any memories would be welcome.
Thanks
Des McMillan

kypros
19th February 2010, 15:26
Happy Memories Of The South America Run I Sailed On The Raphael In 1963 Recall The Taste Of The Bife Lomo Completo To This Day At I Beleive The Price Of Two Shillings Wot A Meal.in Ba For The Elections Nearly Got Shot By Vigis In The Wrong Place At The Time By The Giant Post Office In The Centre Of B/a Always Expecting A Political Coup Somethings Never Change Kypros

kypros
19th February 2010, 15:39
Did The Last Voyage From Liverpool Finished Oct 1964 Before She Went On The Aussie Run Quite A Shock To The Regular Members Of Her Crew If I Recall Seems It Was Unexpected To The Company Men.glad To Hear What Happened To The Hubert Sad Footnote On That Last Trip Recall Committing The Mortal Remains Of An Old Bedroom Steward Off Trinadad Homewardbound The Ships Doctor Tried To Save With An Emergency Op To No Avail Believe He Had A Stroke He Had Seen War Service In The Mn A Real Gent Had A Few Beers With On The Trip Came From The Same Part Of Liverpool As I.put A Downer On The Remainder Of The Voyage I Wonder If He Knew Something Because He Had Sailed On The Hubert And For Booths For Many Years Very Sad. Kypros

Arthurian
26th September 2011, 00:10
There was of course an 'Earlier M.V.Defoe'. She Foundered off Rockall on 24th September 1942. Seven Men were lost, Including my father [Ships Carpenter, Arthur Wright M.N.] She was a fairly NEW Vessel on a voyage to Famagusta, Cyprus with a semi lethal cocktail of Aeroplane Varnish & Liquid Chlorine.
The Bow was blown off up to the foremast and her remains were eventually sunk as a menace to other shipping. Those who died are commemorated on the Tower Green M.N. Memorial.
Arthurian.