Fastbox

NORDICA
31st July 2008, 22:47
does anyone know of the vessels that operated for fastbox in the late 80's?

samuel j
31st July 2008, 23:14
Killarney, Kylemore, Kells, Angus, Melissa, Drax, Salamander, Sterakovou, Murray

Runrig
2nd August 2008, 13:37
There were 17 of these ships. The June 2001 edition of Coastal Shipping magazine has a 6-page feature on the class and full listing.

NORDICA
5th August 2008, 22:34
do any still exist?

Runrig
6th August 2008, 11:44
As far as I know, they all exist. Even the Matrisha which grounded on the west coast of Ireland in October 1991. She is in remarkable external condition so she still exists.

Thamesphil
6th August 2008, 12:41
http://www.fastbox.com/fleet/shiptabl.htm

As someone once said, Google is your friend.

Runrig
8th August 2008, 15:06
These are not the ships he is interested in. The ones listed in this link date from the late 1990s - he wanted details of those in the late 1980s.

Thamesphil
8th August 2008, 15:46
But the question was "do they still exist" and the link is included to confirm that they are no longer in FastBox service.

If anyone wishes to know the current status of recent vessels, and I would include late 1980s in that category, I can suggest a very good (free) research tool, www.equasis.org. If vessels are still current in IACS class, you can most likely track them through Classification Society on-line registers, which are also free.

samuel j
8th August 2008, 23:34
Rix bought the Killarney and Kylemore from us.
We still with Fastbox with our "Connemara" currently "MSC Bahamas" and
her sistership the "Camira"

NORDICA
11th August 2008, 18:49
just got a copy of coasters of cornwall and one of the ex fastbox series is in there. the one im most interested in is the DUISBURG port of reg was lutchtenstein. help?

Runrig
12th August 2008, 08:52
You don't say exactly what your interest is in the Duisburg. She became Matrisha and, as I said in my previous post, she grounded on the west coast of Ireland in October 1991. Port of registry "Lutchtenstein"?? Are you sure? Where is that?

NORDICA
13th August 2008, 10:21
my interest in the DUISBURG is i had a walk round tour of her in exmouth in 1988. her port of registry is quite correct as i have footage of her on video taken that very year departing exmouth, as to where LUTCHTENSTEIN is quite another story. i cant seem to find that anywhere.

samuel j
13th August 2008, 15:29
Photos of her at :

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=84685

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=75292

and

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=122408

David W
13th August 2008, 16:08
MATRISHA ex DUISBURG ex COBURG ex BOBURG

MATRISHA (Bhs/Nassau) Millwood Shipping Inc. I think J.Fisher & Sons, Barrow, England, where also involved with this ship.

On a voyage Amsterdam for Waterford
31st October 1991 she ran aground on the south coast of Ireland in position 52.07n-07.25w, near Bunnmahon, the crew were all taken off.
22nd November 1991 she was refloated and towed into Waterford, where, after inspection, she was declared a CTL.
30th November 1991 left in tow of tug LADY ALMA (Irl/66;218) bound for Cork.
3rd December 1991 she arrived at Killadysert, I believe, for delivery to the breakers, I cannot find anything of her after this date.

danube4
13th August 2008, 17:20
Are you the Duisburg was registered in Lutchtenstein, and not
Lichtenstein under a flag of convenience. Lichtenstein had quite
a few ships flying her flag of convenience.

Barney.

David W
13th August 2008, 20:08
DUISBURG did sail under a flag of convenience, but according to LSI it was Honduras, not Lichtenstein.

The owner at this time was Horst Gunter GOBEL, whose address was Leuchtenburg post Bremen, Schwanewede, FDR.
He also owned a ship named LEUCHTENBURG.

Owners of FoC ships often had a port of registration in their home country as opposed to the flag country.

This is as close as I can get to Lutchtenstein as a PoR.

NORDICA
24th August 2008, 18:12
i will have another look on my video but the p.o.r was as stated. cos my late father remarked on it and said it was a new one on him