Highbury Tech Jan 1974 - Dec 1975 / Glasgow Nautical College Jan 1977 - Dec 1977

Burntisland Ship Yard
5th August 2008, 19:45
Bit of a long title, but any one in this forum who attended the above during these dates (long shot perhaps(EEK)

BlueScouse
16th August 2011, 14:13
Yes. I went to Highbury Tech, but for phase 3 went to Shields.

dirklewer
16th August 2011, 20:02
Was at Portsmouth Tech for OND 1960 to 1961,just before they changed the college name to Highbury Tech.
Did the Marine Engineers still have "CLEM" as their mascot?

BlueScouse
17th August 2011, 13:32
If Clem is the Michelin Man then yes,he was still there in 1975.

dirklewer
17th August 2011, 14:56
Yes, Clem was the Michelin Man.
Wonder what happened to him?

fishcake
17th August 2011, 18:33
I was there from Jan74 to Dec 75 but I don't remember Clem. Where was he kept?

BlueScouse
18th August 2011, 09:58
Kept by the chairman of the MEA.Was a lad called Steve Gill when I was there.I expect he passed it on to whoever took over from him. Burntisland boy just read your profile and I know you.

Burntisland Ship Yard
18th August 2011, 18:13
I was there from Jan74 to Dec 75 but I don't remember Clem. Where was he kept?

Snap, we must have been in the same intake, there were a few of us from over the border.......

Burntisland Ship Yard
18th August 2011, 18:15
Kept by the chairman of the MEA.Was a lad called Steve Gill when I was there.I expect he passed it on to whoever took over from him. Burntisland boy just read your profile and I know you.

Hehehe, well was a boy in those days [cant believe I am saying that now]......

(Wave)

fishcake
18th August 2011, 19:06
I think clem must have stayed in Gatcombe house as us Scots and Irish weren't allowed to stay there (something to do with education grants or something) Can't remember the name of the fat guy who looked after the place . He used to teach MEP down at the annex. The MEA used to have some great party nights down at the Tricorn nightclub.

Burntisland Ship Yard
20th August 2011, 12:26
I think clem must have stayed in Gatcombe house as us Scots and Irish weren't allowed to stay there (something to do with education grants or something) Can't remember the name of the fat guy who looked after the place . He used to teach MEP down at the annex. The MEA used to have some great party nights down at the Tricorn nightclub.

The guy's name was Mr Francis ex R.N cant recall his first name, are you in contact with any other guys that were on the same years as us at Highbury.

Perhaps if we get enough we could arrange a reunuion at the Tricom, for a p...sss up....

fishcake
20th August 2011, 13:31
Have a look at google earth.- Ithink the tricorn is gone and the college is unrecognisable. The sheds that we used to share with the dockyard apprentices with the lathes and milling machines ect have gone.

Burntisland Ship Yard
20th August 2011, 20:27
Have a look at google earth.- Ithink the tricorn is gone and the college is unrecognisable. The sheds that we used to share with the dockyard apprentices with the lathes and milling machines ect have gone.

Just checked google earth times change,still the Railway is still upright in Cosham....