General Steam Navigation Co;

R58484956
24th June 2005, 17:12
Has anybody have a photograph of the SS Sheldrake

stevecz
24th June 2005, 18:30
Which one?
Sheldrake (1) 2,697 tons. Built 1894 as Kelvingrove for Glasgow SS Co, sold to General Steam Navigation Co. in 1898. Shelled and sunk 08/11/1916, by U-Boat, 20 miles WSW from Marittimo Island.

Sheldrake (2) 462 tons. Built 1920 as Glanmor, for Glanmor Shipping Co, Llanelly sold to General Steam Navigation Co. in 1922. Sold 1937, to J. Billmeir renamed Stancrest.

Sheldrake (3) 1,925 tons. Built 1944 as Njong for Deutsche-Afrika Line, Seized 1945 by British at Flensburg, renamed Empire Garland for Ministry Of War Transport, sold to General Steam Navigation Co. in 1947, renamed Sheldrake.
Sold 1959, to Johal Nav.Ltd, Liberia, renamed Salemstar, 1960 renamed Amberlos. Sold 1961 to N.J.Goumas, Greece renamed Marmina. Sold 1968 to C.Raikos & F.Raikou, Greece renamed Filio. Scrapped 1972, Aspropyrgos, Greece.

Sheldrake (4) 1,662 tons. Built 1956 as Manchester Vanguard for Manchester Liners Ltd (Great Lakes service), sold to General Steam Navigation Co. in 1963, renamed Sheldrake.
Sold 1968, to Israel renamed Bat Golan, 1974 to Panama renamed Woodchuck, 1974 to Singapore renamed Selatan Maju and 1981 Panama renamed Wilhar I. Scrapped 1985, Hong Kong.
http://www.teesships.freeuk.com/040505manchesterv.htm (http://www.teesships.freeuk.com/040505manchesterv.htm) Picture as Manchester Vanguard

R58484956
24th June 2005, 20:12
Very many thanks Steve I was on No; 3 first 2 bit before my time

stores
11th May 2007, 15:08
hi i was on shelldrake, the last one , ex manchester vanguard, can get a copy done for you, stores.(Jester)

Trader
11th May 2007, 18:02
Look on My Gallery for photos of Manchester Vanguard later Sheldrake.

Trader

Barry Man
14th March 2008, 01:14
Just been reading a fantastic new book about GSN. It's called "Birds of the Sea", written by Nick Robins.

pete
14th March 2008, 11:35
My Father served with GSN for many years (he was on "Leeuwarden" when she struck that unswept Mine in 1946). Sadly he took his last voyage 10 years ago however I have many memories of coastwise voyages on Swallow, Sheldrake, and the Auk. Also many a Summers Day on the Royal Daffodil. He was generally called (amongst other things) "Taffy" Howell...............pete (Thumb)

MervynHutton
14th March 2008, 13:49
Hi Pete,

I also sailed with "Taffy" in the early 60s as 2nd Mate and have his signature in my discharge book from the 'Whitewing', 'Ptarmigan', 'Laverock', 'Bosworth' and 'Auk'. He is well remembered unlike some of the other Masters and was always full of fun, very fair and a great seaman.

hurunui
4th May 2009, 10:10
I was second engineer on the Sheldrake when the company took it over from Manchester Liners. The Manchester Liners crew were very resentful at the time. She was quite a nice ship

Robert D
20th May 2009, 22:12
Does anyone know anything about the "Alouette", a very cute little ship?
She had fold-down masts and wooden fire buckets varnished on the boat deck. I had the opportunity of doing 2-3 trips on her, we went up the Rheine to Duisberg,Duisberg,Cologne. She had even been as far as Basel in Switzerland.
Regards
Robert

Robert D
20th May 2009, 22:18
Oops wrote duisberg twice one is meant to be dusseldorf.
Robert

KEN WILLIAMS
27th May 2009, 11:19
Does anyone know anything about the "Alouette", a very cute little ship?
She had fold-down masts and wooden fire buckets varnished on the boat deck. I had the opportunity of doing 2-3 trips on her, we went up the Rheine to Duisberg,Duisberg,Cologne. She had even been as far as Basel in Switzerland.
Regards
Robert

HI ROBERT i sailed in the ALOUETTE from june 53/december53 yes she was s great little ship .we used to leave BUTLERS on saturday for AMSTERDAM ,and be there sunday tea time leave monday lunch time for HARLEGEN ARRIVE MONDAY NIGHT TEUSDAY MORNING.LEAVE AGAIN TUESDAYNIGHT BACK AT BUTLERS WEDNESDAY.ONE TIME it was rough out side we left AMSTEDAM and went to HARLEGEN by the ZIDER ZEE tO dan eleder(cannot spell).one skiper we had was capt THAIN ..WHEN did you sail in her.

Robert D
27th May 2009, 19:01
HI ROBERT i sailed in the ALOUETTE from june 53/december53 yes she was s great little ship .we used to leave BUTLERS on saturday for AMSTERDAM ,and be there sunday tea time leave monday lunch time for HARLEGEN ARRIVE MONDAY NIGHT TEUSDAY MORNING.LEAVE AGAIN TUESDAYNIGHT BACK AT BUTLERS WEDNESDAY.ONE TIME it was rough out side we left AMSTEDAM and went to HARLEGEN by the ZIDER ZEE tO dan eleder(cannot spell).one skiper we had was capt THAIN ..WHEN did you sail in her.

Hi Ken,
yes she is/was a great little ship. Received a picture of her from a member here on SN. She was the kind of ship that turned heads, remember one sunday while laying in cologne a we had many admire her, we even had one who wanted to buy the firebuckets. This year I was on her I cannot say maybe 60 or 61. I have to find my papers, am just now in the process of moving from to Norway to Sweden a very drawn out process. By the way Ken
did you find that she rolled in excess? The ladders up to the boatdeck were a bit scary to climb when she was rolling about. Remember wondering how far a ship could roll before turning over, which was followed by a not so comforting thougt, you never know until it happens. Great to hear from you.

Regards
Robert.

David Williams
13th April 2013, 15:06
I sailed on the Lapwing back in 1952 and I have
a small collection of photo,s of her.But one photo
I lost when my computer "crashed",was one of her
passing the Liver Buildings in LIverpool.If anyone has
a copy of this photo they would be prepared to share
I would be most grateful.Needless to say I will reimburse
all cost.

Dave Williams

rothesian
13th April 2013, 21:05
Anyone remember Capt. Brendan Cooney when he was on the Sea Mew (spelling?)

RogertheLodger
25th June 2013, 14:00
Hi Pete,

Sorry for the late reply, but have only just come across this thread.
As an A.B., I too had the pleasure of sailing with your father when he was Captain of the 'Laverock' during the summer of 1962. We were on the run down to Genoa, Livorno, Naples and Sicily etc. Sadly, due to circumstances beyond my control I was compelled to pay-off the 'Laverock' in London Docks on the 26th July, 1962, because of a wedding I had to attend in Barnet the following day.....my own.B\)

Roger

RogertheLodger
25th June 2013, 16:05
Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late reply, but have only just found this thread. I was E.D.H. on the 'Alouette' during the summer of 1959 when she was on the Rhine run. London to Cologne via Dordrecht, Niemegen, Duisburg, and Dusseldorf. Great little run. The round trip only lasted two or three weeks, a far cry from the 12 months spent on the 'Port Huon' ( M.A.N.Z. run) the year before. As you would know, she was indeed a 'pretty' little ship. I always thought it unusual for such a small ship (276 grt ) to have mid-ship accommodation (other than the roomy cabin for two sailors for'ard, which had it's own pot-bellied stove). The presence of such a small sea-going vessel chugging along the Rhine, dwarfed by motorised barges five times her size, must have made heads turn. There were many quaint things about her, not least of which was a lack of refrigeration necessitating the use of an ice-box down aft in which to store any perishable provisions for the crew. At the time, the 'Alouette' was not allowed to navigate along the Rhine during hours of darkness, which usually meant each night was spent in a different bar. Nobody complained, but it made saving money virtually impossible. After a few trips I decided to pay-off before I inflicted irreparable damage to my liver, but, I confess, I have fond memories of the 'Alouette'. Both she and the run on which she was engaged at the time were like no other I ever experienced before or since......I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Robert, in case you are not aware, on the 'Photoships' site there are several pics of the 'Alouette' that may be of interest to you and which you can download if you so desire.

.....Roger