Jimmy Stewart.

Philthechill
10th August 2008, 11:44
I had a phone call from Charlie Drought last night and, during our conversation, he told me that Jimmy Stewart passed away in May.

I sailed with Jimmy on the ACL ships and I have nothing but fond memories of him. He was an excellent Chief Engineer and not afraid to get stuck-in when there was a breakdown, a not infrequent occurence on those vessel's in their early "formative" years!! (In all fairness the other Chief's, Charlie Dickens, Russ Gordon and Ken McKenzie were also as much at home in their boiler-suits as everyone else was. Well, let's face it, they were so short-handed, Engineer-wise, you really did need all hands down below when something "fell-over"!).

Jimmy was Chief on "Conveyor" when she was Exoceted in the Falklands so Charlie (Drought) will feel his passing more than most I should imagine.

R.I.P. Jimmy
Phil

R396040
17th October 2008, 09:20
I had a phone call from Charlie Drought last night and, during our conversation, he told me that Jimmy Stewart passed away in May.

I sailed with Jimmy on the ACL ships and I have nothing but fond memories of him. He was an excellent Chief Engineer and not afraid to get stuck-in when there was a breakdown, a not infrequent occurence on those vessel's in their early "formative" years!! (In all fairness the other Chief's, Charlie Dickens, Russ Gordon and Ken McKenzie were also as much at home in their boiler-suits as everyone else was. Well, let's face it, they were so short-handed, Engineer-wise, you really did need all hands down below when something "fell-over"!).

Jimmy was Chief on "Conveyor" when she was Exoceted in the Falklands so Charlie (Drought) will feel his passing more than most I should imagine.

R.I.P. Jimmy
Phil

Amen to that ! I too sailed with Jimmy Stewart on the Cunard cargo ships during the 1960s/ Jimmy was a great shipmate and I was saddened to read of his demise. I also relieved as Purser/CS on the Atlantic Conveyor in its early days,cant remember if Jimmy was Chief on her then,circa 1970/1.
Stuart (George)Henderson

japottinger
17th October 2008, 20:26
Sorry to hear that Phil, I think that was the same Jimmy who was Chief on the Matra when I was 3rd Eng, ending at London in Feb. 1961. It was short trip NY and northern States on Cunard charter waiting for their purpose built Andania class ships.
Very laid back, no hassle, but at the back of your mind get the job done.
How is that some Chiefs got the job done and motivated their lads without any huff and puff and jumping up and down. Secret of effective command I suppose.

Trevor
21st October 2008, 00:31
Sorry to hear about Jimmy, a great guy, how old was he Phil,

japottinger
24th October 2008, 17:31
Sorry Phil, wrong Jimmy, it was James Grant on Matra.

Derek Roger
25th October 2008, 00:39
Jimmy the Grunt !!
I was his assistant on watch when he was going for his Motor Time ( M V Mahout )

My job was to make the tea and take the Log .

WE did have a breakdown with a bottom end bearing failure and Jimmy was the only one on board who knew how to scrape in a bearing .

He showed me how and between us we did the job .

He also was a very good cook and his Salmon Chowder was the very best .

Happy Days Derek