Grange "names"

Corky
10th August 2008, 16:40
Does anyone know why Houlders called their "Grange" ships after villages - mainly from around the North York Moors?

non descript
10th August 2008, 17:18
Corky, a very fair question and one that deserves an answer. The trouble is that with the passage of time, events take on a particular significance and people add more weight to a legend than it maybe deserves. That said, there is a general agreement that Mr Edwin Savory Houlder was living at “Fernwood” in Sutton in January 1878 and they moved to “The Grange”, also in Sutton and for his own reasons he liked the name and adopted it as a suffix for all the Houlders Ships.

non descript
10th August 2008, 17:25
As for convenient prefix names, I think the only reasoning was to spell out the individual letters of HOULDER BROTHERS, and it was pure coincidence that Yorkshire, at that time, supplied some rather splendid Granges, but Oswestry and Ovingdean were very much non-Yorkshire, as was Upwey in Dorset; but I do accept that the first "Grange" was Hornby Grange (http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/291056), and very much in Yorkshire, although looking at the fleet as a whole this was by no means the only area of the UK to supply the names for Houlders.

Abbeywood.
12th December 2009, 05:47
Can anybody provide the full list of names, (15+), that comprise the ships bearing the initials of HOULDER BROTHERS.
I can name 13 but the last 'E' and the final 'S' confound me.
I know that two or three letters were/are doubled up,(i.e. Langton/Lynton, and Upwey/Urmston).

non descript
12th December 2009, 10:57
Hornby Grange, Ovingdean Grange, Urmston Grange, Langton Grange, Denton Grange, Elstree Grange - Beacon Grange, Rippingham Grange, Oswestry Grange, Thorpe Grange,Hardwicke Grange, Everton Grange, Rounton Grange, Sutherland Grange.

Thats another Story
12th December 2009, 15:09
Two Of My Brothers Sailed For Houlders. Rippingham And Elstree Grange.

ALAN TYLER
12th December 2009, 15:39
See my post on H.B. crew & ships re-Grange ships, much in line with Tonga,s answer. Alan T.

Pat Kennedy
12th December 2009, 16:50
Hornby Grange, Ovingdean Grange, Urmston Grange, Langton Grange, Denton Grange, Elstree Grange - Beacon Grange, Rippingham Grange, Oswestry Grange, Thorpe Grange,Hardwicke Grange, Everton Grange, Rounton Grange, Sutherland Grange.
Mark
The final 'R' in the word 'Houlder' is missing from this list. I suggest Royston or Ripon would fill the bill.
Pat(Thumb)

non descript
12th December 2009, 18:51
Mark
The final 'R' in the word 'Houlder' is missing from this list. I suggest Royston or Ripon would fill the bill.
Pat(Thumb)

My apolgies; you are correct and in chronological order it would be Royston Grange of 1897... the Rippingham Grange was a year later in 1898

Abbeywood.
13th December 2009, 11:37

Thanks Tonga
As back-up's I have Denby Grange, Upwey Grange, Lynton Grange, Barton Grange, and, as mentioned before, Ripon Grange.
Also I believe that the Brandon Priory and Bidford Priory were so named due to their long-term charter to BP.

ALAN TYLER
13th December 2009, 14:17
An interesting point about the Bidford and Brandon was the funnel markings, the BP shield was superimposed on the Maltese cross.