Queen Elizabeth 2nd

ShipSpotter
26th June 2005, 16:23
Hello Everybody

Yesterday if you were at the south coast near Southampton and Portsmouth more towards the east, there were some fantastic views of the QE2 on a beach i went to.

I could also see P&O cruises Oriana coming out of Southampton.

I didnt take any photographs but i will be down there for any Ships Coming Out Again soon

Will

stevecz
26th June 2005, 16:30
Hi ShipSpotter.
Welcome to the site, enjoy it as much as we do.
Don't forget to take your camera when you go out.
Steve

ShipSpotter
26th June 2005, 17:39
Yes Thanks, i will remeber next time (Cloud)

david smith
26th June 2005, 17:51
I think that was the Oceana you saw today, the Oriana is off the south coast of Ireland

ShipSpotter
26th June 2005, 17:54
I meant yesterday i checked the ships monthly cruise list for which ships went out of southampton yesterday.

trotterdotpom
4th September 2005, 17:15
According to Seawaves.com, today, 4.9.05, QE2 became the longest lasting Cunarder 1969 - 2005 (36 years 4 months and 2 days), overtaking the previous incumbent Scythia (1921 - 1957).

Seems like yesterday when they were saying she'd last 6 months!

John T.

Finnjet
6th September 2005, 12:30
that is great news as she bears the sovrigns name she cannot be scrapped untill the sovrign dies and hopefully that wont be for atleast another 20 years

fred henderson
6th September 2005, 14:08
that is great news as she bears the sovrigns name she cannot be scrapped untill the sovrign dies and hopefully that wont be for atleast another 20 years

Nice thought Finnjet, unfortunately she is named Queen Elizabeth 2, meaning that she is the second Cunard ship to be called Queen Elizabeth. Our Queen's title is Queen Elizabeth II. However, Carnival, the owners of Cunard, have said that they intend to keep the QE2 in service for the foreseeable future. The only problem I know of concerns cracking in her alloy superstructure, mostly at the window corners and the usual difficulties with the joint to the steel hull. These problems were one of the reasons why QM2 has an all steel superstructure

Fred

Fairfield
6th September 2005, 14:46
Couldn/t happen here anyway, she/s not called TONY BLAIR.

R58484956
6th September 2005, 15:02
Comet a/c had cracking at the window corners, and that turned out to be a calamity.

Finnjet
6th September 2005, 22:16
carnival are acctualy share own cunard they dont fully own cunard in acctual fact cunard is run by the british government hence why they can be called up to serve in war as can all P&O and british vessels.

the british government subsidised the QM2's building other wise carnival would not have gone ahead with it and P&O was the one that helped deelop the ship so it is a 3 way split but carnival run the ship.

as for the QM2 it is true about the sovrigns name after a long debate with a friend i found it to be true the only problem is how long will her hull last

Charles compass
6th September 2005, 22:44
i CAN REMEMBER BEING A PASSENGER WITH MY FATHER ON THE QM1 AT LEAST IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE A FLOATING BLOCK OF FLATS WITH A FUNNEL!!!!!!!!

newda898
6th September 2005, 23:36
I belive the QM2 is a modified version of the standard Carnival 'Vista' class which many carnival ships are now following. e.g Several Costa ships and the Arcadia

fred henderson
7th September 2005, 00:13
Sorry lads, but for the record: -
1. Cunard is 100% owned by Carnival Corporation & plc.
2. The only shipping company still owned by P&O is P&O Ferries.
3. P&O Cruise and P&O Cruise Australia are 100% owned by Carnival Corporation & plc
4. QM2 is 100% owned by Cunard. Her $780 million purchase price was entirely provided by Carnival, with not a cent from the British Government, who do not have any interest in her. The British Government did fund the QM, QE and QE2. The QE2 finance has long since been repaid.
5. QM2 is an entirely unique design and is almost twice the size of the Carnival "Vista" class.
6 QM2 carries 2620 lower berth passengers (3090 max) in supreme comfort. As built, QM carried 711 first, 707 cabin and 577 tourist class passengers in conditions that would be unacceptable today. She established a new standard where 90% of the first class cabins had a porthole! Of course QM2 has a bigger superstructure.

Fred

newda898
7th September 2005, 12:23
Ahh, thanks.(Thumb)

peter johnston
8th September 2005, 22:03
hi gang! i am very happy to say ,that i have worked on ,or have have been aboard all the cunard Queens ,ours only in memory!