An old timer

Piero43
27th June 2005, 15:19
As my first contribution to the Gallery, I send a photo which is very significant to me, since it portraits the first ship in which I did a long journey (Bremerhaven to Montreal), in 1952, when I was nine and my fathe was first mate aboard.
The ship is the "Arosa Kulm", built in 1920 as the U.S. Army transport "Cantigny".
Later she became "American Banker", "Ville d'Anvers", "City of Athens", "Protea" and eventually "Arosa Kulm".
She was scrapped in Belgium in 1959.
There is anyone who knows / remmber / sailed on this ship?
Piero
P.S. I'm afraid the quality is poor, 'cause I had troubles in reducing the dimensions of the photo (it's a large one) and I had to scan it two times in sequence.
Someone can suggest me a better way for to manage this problem next time?
P.

beryte
28th June 2005, 19:10
I remember the Arosa Lines vessels fondly from my childhood days of the early '50's as they passed thru the Solent for Southampton. They had such an interesting collection of tonnage. Sadly the Company's days were to be numbered and the ships eventually seized for none payment of debts at various ports. Some of their vessels were to eventually meet tragic ends, the AROSA SKY being gutted by fire as the BIANCA C, and the AROSA STAR being beached during a hurricane as the LA JANELLE in 1970.

avb3
28th April 2008, 01:02
As my first contribution to the Gallery, I send a photo which is very significant to me, since it portraits the first ship in which I did a long journey (Bremerhaven to Montreal), in 1952, when I was nine and my fathe was first mate aboard.
The ship is the "Arosa Kulm", built in 1920 as the U.S. Army transport "Cantigny".
P.

I hope that it is not too late for you to see this. I emigrated to Canada on the Arosa Kulm back in 1955, and would love to see a more detailed picture of it. If you do have it, could you private message me, and I can give you my email address?

Thanks!!!

benjidog
28th April 2008, 09:10
Hi Piero,

I never saw you original message but if you want to get a copy of a large photo and you don't have access to a really big scanner you have basically two options.

1. Take a photo of the photo using a digital camera. You will have to watch out how it is lit to avoid reflections if it is on glossy paper.

2. Scan it in two or more sections and there is software you can "stitch" the different photos together afterwards.

I would go for the first one unless you have a lot of patience and the stitching software.

Regards,

Brian

Bruce Carson
28th April 2008, 13:57
avb3, Some time ago CVB posted a picture of the 'Arosa Kulm' to the Gallery and you might find that of interest.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=38679

Bruce

PKCat
20th January 2009, 20:09
I am serching for my wife's grandfather and I have a Crew Card for the Ville d' Anvers dated March 6, 1940. It is signed by the Chief Officer which happens to be him. I know that he sailed it from New York to Liverpool a day or two after the date of the card. I also have the announcement in the New York newspaper announcing its departure. That is the last we have on him. Anyone have any idea where to look for crew lists etc. It was registered in Belgium for the obvious reasons.
PKCat

rickles23
26th May 2009, 13:05
Hi Piero,
If you can scan the photo in two parts and then email it to me I will 'stitch' it together for you. Just send me a PM.
Regards

K urgess
26th May 2009, 13:38
Hi Piero,
If you can scan the photo in two parts and then email it to me I will 'stitch' it together for you. Just send me a PM.
Regards

You'll have a long wait for a reply.
That was posted in 2005 and he hasn't been on site for two years. (EEK)

rickles23
27th May 2009, 02:43
Hi Marconi Sahib,

I didn't notice the posting date. It appeared on the Forum list so I thought it was new.
I will now go and stand in the corner...(Cloud)

Regards

sonia cres
28th August 2009, 23:53
My mother came to Australia in 1955 from Bremerhaven Germany on the Arosa Kulm. Although the photo looks a little old and she can only remember parts of the boat I have to wonder if this photo is the actual boat that she came on. Can anyone help me on this. thanks

K urgess
29th August 2009, 16:03
There is a good chance that this is the same vessel, Sonia.
It appears to be tho only one with that name. The name became Arosa Kulm in 1952 and she was scrapped in 1959.
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/158982
Regards

avb3
28th February 2010, 19:01
avb3, Some time ago CVB posted a picture of the 'Arosa Kulm' to the Gallery and you might find that of interest.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=38679

Bruce

Bruce... thank you so much. I had lost the link to this site and finally found it again, along with some pictures from others. I appreciate your reply, even if I am 2 years late in thanking you!!

CPCardwell
19th July 2011, 14:22
I was on the Arosa Kulm from Zeebruges to Montreal in August, 1951. This is the voyage referred to by Old Timer on this thread. I have a few jpg images taken on this trip.

Hope this works.
Charles Cardwell (cpcardwell@cavtel.net)

See Attachments:

CPCardwell
20th July 2011, 18:54
That voyage was August, 1952- not 1951. Sorry.

CPCardwell

Piero43
26th October 2013, 10:38
That voyage was August, 1952- not 1951. Sorry.

CPCardwell

Hi CP,
I was on board exactly in the same voyage, and I yet remember the crossing of the iceberg portayed in the first photo!
I was nine, and my father was first mate on board.
Piero

Union Jack
26th October 2013, 19:08
Bentornato, Piero!(Thumb)

Jack

Piero43
3rd November 2013, 14:27
Many thanks, Jack!
I didn't visit SN site for a long time 'cause I've been quite busy, but I'm glad to be back!
Piero