McCloggie
16th August 2008, 10:30
OK - I give up!

I have found a good photo of my favourite MSF (HMS Humber) that I would like to use as an avatar but can not work out what to do next!

I have (honestly I have!) looked at the help menu but there is nothing there about getting your own picture - all there seems to be is a couple of lines about site provided avatars which we do not have here anyway!

So, some help/simple instructions would be most wellcome.

McC

Jeffers
16th August 2008, 10:56
It is there, honest!

Go to the user control panel link near the top right of the SN home page, then select "edit options", then on the control panel on the left select "edit avatar". Then select "custom avatar" and set up a link to the picture you want to use.

Good luck!

BobClay
16th August 2008, 11:14
Important to remember that there is a size limit for avators. If your picture is too large it might not work. You can resize it to correct requirement using any suitable graphics software.
There are two ways to have an avator. You can upload the picture directly to this site. Or you can reference the picture on another site, e.g. if you have your own website, you merely enter the link to that picture. It doesn't necessarily have to be visible on your own site, but it needs to be loaded up to that site.
for example, imagine a site called www.fredblogs.co.mars. Say that site has a directory called 'images' and you put a picture of fredblogs called fredblogs.jpg into that directory.
Then you'd set up a link:
www.fredblogs.co.mars\images\fredblogs.jpg
and this link will then point out the picture and display it here.

You will see these choices presented on the 'edit avator' page as Jeffers has described above.

Hope that helps as well

McCloggie
16th August 2008, 11:28
Thanks Gents;

Yes, once it is explained to you it becomes easy!

Why are Help pages (not just these ones) not designed to give clear instructions like Jeffers does? Ever thought of doing the Tech AUthor bit Jeffers - you would make a fortune!

I will play with this over the weekend and hopefully have a nice new photo at the end of it.

McC