Canadian Pacific - MV R. B. Angus

Mike G
16th August 2008, 21:10
Are there any members who sailed on this ship?

Weechief
16th August 2008, 21:44
Hello,
I sailed with CP Ships up to 1985, never had a MV R.B. Angus that I can remember, was it with the London office?
Regards
Alex

Mike G
16th August 2008, 22:08
Hi Wee Chief,

She was registered with CP Ships, Bermuda. The first ship of many, the later CP ships were I believe registered similarly. We used the same superintendants but not the regular CP agents.

regards,

Mike G

Les Gibson
17th August 2008, 16:59
She was lost in 1967 (I think) on the way from Vancouver to Japan with zinc concentrates. Almost everyone (Officers) was eased out of the company over the next few years. I knew most of them, details and names not really for posting, but if you contact me I can give more info.

Jeff Partington
8th September 2008, 15:47
I was 2nd Engineer at the time of the sinking of the R.B. Angus on the 17th December 1967. I cannot remember all of the crew but here are a few :-
Captain James Escombe
Mate Paddy McDermott
2/0 Robin Mallam
3/0 Simon ?
Chief Engineer Kieth Dancy
2/E Jeff Partington
3/E Jim Cuscak
4/E John Hulland (Wing Nut)
5/E Roy Challoner (First Trip!)
Electrician Stan Jones (Ale House Jones)
We had the best parties on the West Coast, a very happy ship,we only left the ship is because she sank, We would have still been on her if she was still afloat!!!! The Chinese crew were excellent and the food first class.
Can anybody fill in the missing names and has anybody got the photograph of her taken in Chemainus just before we sailed on the last voyage?
I have movie film of us at the Silk Hotel in Yokohama where we were taken after the rescue, first by a Japanese fishing vessel then by a Japanese Coastguard ship.
I had previously sailed as 4th Eng. on the Beaverelm.
After the Angus I sailed on the Beaverfir and the H.R. Macmillan, leaving C.P's (and the Navy) in mid 1969.
Best wishes to all

Jeff Partington

Les Gibson
8th September 2008, 16:09
Jeff,
Missing names; Paddy McDermott(Mate). John Hulland (Wingnut). Think 'lecky was was Stan Jones, not Arthur? I was with you on the H.R.McMillan in 1968. Got a photo of you in the control room will try and send it to you. Good to know you are still about. I think wingnut has crossed the line.

Jeff Partington
8th September 2008, 16:21
Thanks Les
I saw a posting on another site(timelink.org) from Robin Mallam I replied but received no reply as yet. You are right about Stan, memory must be going!! Roy Challoner is on Friends reunited but no others except you. Sad to hear of Wing Nuts loss. Have you heard anything of any of the others? Can you remeber the name of the other 'lecky' with us on the Macmillan?
Cheers
Jeff

Les Gibson
8th September 2008, 16:34
Jeff,
I fear Keith Dancy was lost with a coaster a few years ago, memory a bit sketchy but I believe his daughter was on the ship. Went down off the coast of Devon I think, I am sure there will be someone who knows the details. Maybe he owned the boat?
Don Lloyd was the other lecky on the McMillan, from 'Shields. Stan and I were the 2 leckies on the Pacific Logger for a couple of years. The Logger was a replacement for the Angus. Stayed with CP until 1978. Excellent outfit!

Jeff Partington
8th September 2008, 16:41
Thanks again Les
I wonder how many of us there are left!! I remember Don now. Do you know what happened to Stan? CP was the best company I ever worked for!!

Cheers

Jeff

Capt. Bruno
8th September 2009, 16:58
Can you enlighten us as to the reasons behind the sinking of the R.B. ANGUS?

Les Gibson
9th September 2009, 00:01
Hi,
Pasted below brief details of sinking. If you PM me I can put you in touch with someone who was on the ship when it sank.

Later on that year, Canadian Pacific bought a relatively small Yugoslavian built Norwegian owned bulk carrier (R B Angus) as the first ship in what was to become Canadian Pacific Bermuda, a separate subsidiary of the parent company. The NSF stated that a so called Sale Dry-docking had to take place and a standard clause included that if any underwater damages effecting class were discovered in dry-dock then the seller had to make these good at their expense. As it happened quite a large underwater damage was discovered and the seller paid for the necessary repairs and also the dry-docking costs. Unfortunately the sellers had for some reason chosen to dry-dock the ship in Norway at the onset of winter and heavy snow and icy conditions prevailed throughout the period. The temperature dropped so low during the nights that the classification society suspended welding operations on the bottom damage to avoid future problems which delayed completion of the repairs.

Two years after entering Canadian Pacificís service the ship sank in mid pacific during stormy conditions but fortunately all the crew were saved by a Japanese fishing vessel in the area. The ship had taken a list when its cargo of lead and zinc concentrates shifted which resulted in a loss of both main and auxiliary power leaving the ship at the mercy of the severe weather. Examination of the piping plans after the event revealed that the supply of fuel oil to the main and auxiliary engines would in fact be interrupted if the ship developed a list. Had the ship been bought new then the piping plans would have been checked by Canadian Pacificís technical department and this elementary fault brought to the attention of the shipbuilder during construction. This an illustration of the perils awaiting those who purchase second-hand ships.

Regards,
Les

Mike G
16th March 2012, 22:57
Hello Jeff,

I was the original 5th Eng. rapidly promoted to 4th when the Chief fell down the bilge in Norway on engine trials breaking his leg. I was the last to be relieved probably two/three trips before she sailed on her last trip. I met Keith Dancy in Liverpool when he first joined CP He was standing by the Empress of England and he said he was due to go to the Angus, as I understood it he was moving to Canada permanently as CP wanted to return to their former pre war routes with new ships.

I do have two photos of the RB Angus, one is in Vancouver alongside and another showing her on river passage.

It's nice to hear a name I am familiar with. Sorry for the delay in responding.

regards,

Mike Gannon

Parana
19th April 2012, 00:54
I was on the Beaverpine as 2/0 when the angus went down. I later sailed with Jeff, can't remember which ship. Hope all is well. Mike Howden

Robin Mallam
5th May 2012, 00:44
Yes I sailed on her for two voyages in 1967 - including the final voyage - as second mate/
Robin Mallam

Robin Mallam
5th May 2012, 00:55
R B Angus.
From Robin Mallam - 2/0 on the final voyage. Would be very pleased to hear from anyone who was there.
Best wishes to all - does anyone know what happened to Jim Escolme who was Master?

Jeff Partington
9th June 2012, 15:14
Hi Mike
I must have relieved you in Tahis Canada. I was on the Angus for almost a year before she sank. Would like to see the pictures, perhaps you could e mail them to me .
doublehelix@onetel.com

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff Partington
9th June 2012, 15:17
Hi Mike
Maybe we sailed on the Beaver Fir or the H R Macmillan, i can't remember which one. were you down the pit or on deck?

Cheers

Jeff

Parana
11th June 2012, 00:39
Hello Jeff.
I was On the Bridge but never on the Fir or Macmillan.
I was 2/0 on the Elm, Pine, Strathcona, Clyne and the Empresses, then C/O on the Beaverash for two years until they sold her. Then I was shanhaied to Japan for the Van Horne before the CP Voyageur, Trader and Discoverer. I certainly remember your lancashire accent!!!!.
Best Wishes , Mike HowdenHi Mike
Maybe we sailed on the Beaver Fir or the H R Macmillan, i can't remember which one. were you down the pit or on deck?

Cheers

Jeff

Samsette
12th June 2012, 02:40
I have a 11''X14'' silkscreen of her, complete with Fuji-san in the background. It is dated 1966, Tokyo, Japan. One of you probably gave it to a someone on Vancouver Island, as I bought it in a Chemainus "antique" store some time ago.

If someone can guide me through the Photobucket process, I'll display it here.