Original QE2 Radio Officer from 1968/69

Radioroger
18th August 2008, 04:52
I see there was a query about Alan Holmes and other radio officer on the QE2 recently.

The original ROs from 1968/1969 were :-
Don Butterworth Chief ( From Near Blackpool)
Alan Holmes 1st RO ( From Lancs- Blackburn ?.)
Myself - Roger Latham (from Leicester) 2nd RO
Dave Wayne ( from Conway) 3rd RO.

Also around this time relieving :-
A.J.G. Fry ( from Wantage Berks)
Declan ( O Reilly ?).. (Ireland) I believe he was later killed when going ashore in Rio when RO or so I was told by an RO in Fremantle years ago.

Not so well know were two ladies helping in the radio office with the typing on the Creed teleprinters during first voyages.
One of them was :-
Josephine Smith (from Gosport Hants)
and am not sure of the other name - I must check my diary from this time.

All the best
Roger

sparkie2182
18th August 2008, 21:34
Declan was murdered in an attempted "mugging" in San Juan ,Peurto Rico
whilst on shore leave whilst serving aboard Cunard Countess (Princess?).....

just for your information, Roger.

best regards

Radioroger
19th August 2008, 03:11
Hi Sparkie2182

Thanks for that correction about Declan's murder location - I was blaming Rio. As I am calling into Rio next year on a cruise I will not feel so bad about the place now ! I say that in seriousness not jest. It sounds dreadful in any case. It is something we never thought of when going ashore.
For me it was of special interest as I named one of my boys Declan - as I liked the name after meeting Declan on the ship.

Roger

Cunarder
19th August 2008, 14:46
Roger

Weren't Phil Marriott and CC Connerty also part of the original R/O contingent?

Regards
Alan Marsden

Radioroger
19th August 2008, 15:33
Hi Alan

No - not to my memory whilst I was sailing on her.

I did all the original training in 1968 with Don, Alan and Dave. Phil and Chris were certainly not in the original complement as there were only 4 of us. I found a couple of photos this evening of us during training at GEC for receivers and IMR for the transmitters. I might upload them some time when I work out how to do that !

I will check my diary to see if Phil and Chris were on board when I was - but I do not remember them. They may have been later in 1969. I only remember AJG and Declan but memory sometimes plays tricks especially after 40 years !

Roger

sparkie2182
19th August 2008, 16:07
ref Rio..........

a friend of mine spent some years working off the Brazil coast and used to dress in the dirtiest overalls etc that he had when returning to the airport to fly back to the u.k.
this was considered by the offshore lads to be the safest way of travelling...... appearing to be penniless local workmen.

:(

i dont remember it being so bad when i was there, but maybe i was just lucky.

also..........

was there a norman? bainbridge on the Q.E in the early days?

Radioroger
20th August 2008, 02:17
Hi Sparkie2182

Interesting comment about travelling in dirtiest overalls ! Sound good idea in "dodgy" places - unless you accidently met your HO radio supervisor on the plane or at the airport ! Everybody wore suit and tie in the early days ! When I came to Australia I was very surprised that most people did not wear a suit for work - unless you were an executive.

At one time I always wore a suit and tie for official travel - such as to and from a ship. I think Cunard/Brocks even used to pay us a 1st Class rail fare as well as taxi fares so it followed to look smart. I never had to fly to or from a ship - that was not so common then. Nowdays I wear jeans and open shirt when travelling like everybody and leave the suit in the suitcase if I do need one !

Norman Bainbridge does not ring any bells - not even as Cunard/Brocklebank RO. Was he an RO? I left QE2 mid 1969 so may have been later.

Roger

sparkie2182
20th August 2008, 23:25
hello roger.........

possibly was later than 1969.

my mind isnt convinced of the accuracy of the name.......maybe 80% correct if you know what i mean..........Cunardbrock R/O.

i will have to work on it........:)

best regards......

Philthechill
21st August 2008, 15:48
Sorry to butt in chaps, in this "All our yesterdays" for RO'S, but I just wondered if any of you knew Rob Hayward, who lives near me. He was 2/O on the QE2 but I'm not sure exactly when. I keep trying to get him to join-in the fun-and-games on SN but he says that nobody will remember him! He was in BI too and I put his name on there but nobody came-up as remembering him so perhaps I will draw a blank on here too!! Salaams, Phil Roe ex-Brocks/ACL Engineer(Hippy)

Malcolm S
21st August 2008, 16:03
Hello all - Have just joined this interesting web site and already been in touch with some old friends / ship mates. Rgarding the above:
Bainbridge was for many years the Exec Chef, Chris and Phil were certainly ROs on the QE2 and Bob Hayward was a bridge officer with me - where is he now and what is he doing?
Malcolm Scanlan

sparkie2182
21st August 2008, 16:08
yep.........

confirms it.................

brain scrambled beyond repair. :(

thanks for the info malcolm.

va from me........:)

Philthechill
21st August 2008, 22:52
Hello all - Have just joined this interesting web site and already been in touch with some old friends / ship mates. Rgarding the above:
Bainbridge was for many years the Exec Chef, Chris and Phil were certainly ROs on the QE2 and Bob Hayward was a bridge officer with me - where is he now and what is he doing?
Malcolm Scanlan Malcolm! Hi! Bob (or Rob as we know him) lives about 25 yards away from me, in Stamford Bridge, East Yorkshire and is now retired. He finished-up on Channel Ferries and, when they were having cut-backs, he took early retirement.

He is on wife #2 now as wife #1 and he got divorced several years ago.

He is a prolific gardener keeping all hands round here supplied with fresh fruit (strawberries and rasps), peas, beans (of all varieties), spuds, beetroot, lettuce etc. etc.

He and his missis love walking and go off for several days at a time to The Lake District, Dales, North York Moors and any other place they can find where the paths are anything but horizontal!!

They have a mixed-breed dog they got from a rescue place which goes everywhere they go.

That's about all I can really think about to bring you up to date!

I'll tell him you're on SN and if he knows there is at least one person remembers him it may just give him the impetus he needs to join! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

gwzm
22nd August 2008, 12:22
Hi Alan,

I was visiting on the QE2 in Boston in 1987. My company was using her as part of the convention facilities for DECworld. The 1 R/O was Chris Connerty and the 2 R/O was "PY" Wright so the customer whom I was hosting and I had a couple of pleasurable afternoons getting the "insiders" tour and swinging the lamp in the officers wardroom.

Happy days but unfortunately my old company no longer exists.

= salaams es BV de gwzm + VA

R781128
20th September 2008, 17:20
Were you on the QE2 maiden voyage Roger and did you transfer there from Scythia where I was 3rd off.If so then I remember you and possibly even you taking me round & showing me the huge sat nav.

B Rgds

Cunarder
21st September 2008, 02:28
GWZM - any clues as to what "PY" Wright is doing these days? I sailed with him for quite a while on Cunard Princess.

Cheers
Alan Marsden

Radioroger
1st October 2008, 11:02
Were you on the QE2 maiden voyage Roger and did you transfer there from Scythia where I was 3rd off.If so then I remember you and possibly even you taking me round & showing me the huge sat nav.

B Rgds
Hi
Yes I was on all the QE2 trials and maiden voyages. I was on the Scythia 10 Feb 1969 to 12 Mar 1968. I signed on and off in Liverpool.

This was whilst QE2 had her turbines fixed. I have not found my diary for this period yet to check more details. I will reply further when I find it.

I would appreciate your name to jog my memory - you can PM me if you like.

All the best
Roger

rodfair
19th April 2012, 23:52
My first post....I remember Don Butterworth, Alan Holmes, Chris Connerty(Hallo Lad) inside joke, Roger I think I met.... Declan O'Reily before he went to the small ships and was murdered, Phil Marriot, Bainbridge...I believe was ALAN, a young guy with full beard...if that helps, PY Wright briefly, Brian...technical guy, went to the electronics dept when they created it, Terry, tall guy also full beard..and of course Willum...the folk singer!... And of course I remember Malcolm Scanlan and his then wife Geraldine!

rodfair
19th April 2012, 23:54
Bob Hayward I remember fondly as well. Please tell him that Rod Fair send his best regards!

rodfair
20th April 2012, 22:25
Alan Burbidge...not Bainbridge!

Malcolm S
6th May 2012, 15:27
Greetings Rod, I remember you as well BUT what do you mean "his then wife" ?? When I woke up this morning she was still beside me !!!

Malcolm

My first post....I remember Don Butterworth, Alan Holmes, Chris Connerty(Hallo Lad) inside joke, Roger I think I met.... Declan O'Reily before he went to the small ships and was murdered, Phil Marriot, Bainbridge...I believe was ALAN, a young guy with full beard...if that helps, PY Wright briefly, Brian...technical guy, went to the electronics dept when they created it, Terry, tall guy also full beard..and of course Willum...the folk singer!... And of course I remember Malcolm Scanlan and his then wife Geraldine!

rodfair
6th May 2012, 23:29
Because so many people that I went to sea with have died divorced separated or whatever. Must be quite along time now! congrats!

Clive123
7th May 2012, 16:00
I see there was a query about Alan Holmes and other radio officer on the QE2 recently.

The original ROs from 1968/1969 were :-
Don Butterworth Chief ( From Near Blackpool)
Alan Holmes 1st RO ( From Lancs- Blackburn ?.)
Myself - Roger Latham (from Leicester) 2nd RO
Dave Wayne ( from Conway) 3rd RO.

Also around this time relieving :-
A.J.G. Fry ( from Wantage Berks)
Declan ( O Reilly ?).. (Ireland) I believe he was later killed when going ashore in Rio when RO or so I was told by an RO in Fremantle years ago.

Not so well know were two ladies helping in the radio office with the typing on the Creed teleprinters during first voyages.
One of them was :-
Josephine Smith (from Gosport Hants)
and am not sure of the other name - I must check my diary from this time.

All the best
Roger

Hi Roger.
I joined in Greenock, was on the trials, the shakedown cruise and the maiden voyage to NYC having transferred from the Franconia. Dave Wayne, Gord Fry and myself were sent on a teletype repair course in Brighton (ITT Creed) while the turbines were being repaired. It was at that point they decided to send a Creed tech out on the maiden voyage. Go figure.
I was the guy that taped your arm to the chair when you were sending traffic one day(sorry!).
The other lady P.O. teletype operator was called Sharron and worked alongside Jo.
The late Brian Beecham (thanks for the reminder Al) was the original C R/O and the late Don Butterworth his successor.
I'm pretty sure Declan O'Decktennis as he was known to some, was shot on the beach in the American Virgin Islands but may be wrong on that score. James J Neary replaced Dave when he left the ship.
Wondering if you or anyone reading this has pics of the radio room and or staff at that time. It's on my to-do list to sort through my slides at some point in my retirement years.

Cheers.

ppgflyer
23rd February 2013, 23:32

Wow, what a memory jogger. Don "The Bogler" Butterworth, Alan Holmes, Phil Marriot, Chris Connerty. I was 4~8 for 1982 world cruise, and others, including Falklands trip. Willum was the Electronics Tech and I recall a Brian ????? who was also the Electronics Tech. Peter Wright went there after I left QE2 but we had sailed together on CP. Eric Bainger (CP) became one of the Chief R/O's when they replaced all the watchkeepers with the satellite terminals and radio runners, Mike Fitzgerald became Electronics Officer under jurisdiction of Chief Electrician.

I never did like the QE2, almost left Cunard after being on there for the first time, but after sailing on CP I didn't leave because it was such a great group of guys. I ultimately met my wife on CP when she took a Caribbean cruise, she was the reason I left Cunard, she didn't want me getting in to any more trouble than I had already gotten myself in to - if you know what I mean[=D]

Nick Jones
25th February 2013, 22:39
Gentlemen,
I have a question about the QE2's R/Os. I was on the Brocklebanks ship SS Matra in, I think early 69 when our R/O was taken off for some reason. His replacement came off the QE2 and I can't remember his name. He was a young lad, tall with red hair, does this strike a cord with anyone?

Cheers,
Nick Jones.

sparkie2182
25th February 2013, 22:50
Don Hamilton?

Cunarder
8th March 2013, 10:23
I think the "Brian" that a number of you have referred to would likely be BRH Martin? The last I heard he was living in Broome in West Australia.

Cheers everyone - Alan

Peter Eccleson
3rd August 2013, 23:56
Declan was murdered in an attempted "mugging" in San Juan ,Peurto Rico
whilst on shore leave whilst serving aboard Cunard Countess (Princess?).....

just for your information, Roger.

best regards

Hi Sparkie2182

Think Declan was serving on Cunard Ambassador at the time. Was ashore on El Morro beach (officially out if bounds) with Kieran Ward another R/O. Declan's wife had just left to fly home and he and Kieran were having a game of soccer on the beach when a couple of teenage locals attempted a mugging. Declan fronted up to them ad sent them packing. They took a shot at him with a 45 snub from over 300 yards and unfortunately the bullet caught him under his armpit and severed his aorta - killing him virtually instantly. A very sad day!
Knew Kieran well - never heard a bad word about Declan. Everyone said what a great guy he was. The crew were going to take San Juan, PR apart to find the culprits - but the police did the job for them.

Cunarder
9th August 2013, 18:43
@PPGFlyer - when were you on CP? I was there from the maiden voyage until 1981. Cheers

Cunarder
9th August 2013, 18:45
PPGFlyer when were you on GUNN/C6CG? I was there from the maiden voyage until 1981? Cheers - Alan Marsden

GM4CAM
23rd October 2013, 00:36
Don Hamilton?

Not me I'm afraid.. I was still at school in 1969 but did eventually start at GWZM in about 1972 where I sailed on an assortment of Container ships (ACT2/ACT6) Tankers (Lucigen/Lustrous), a Brock Boat (Markhor), had a spell on loan to Cory/Ocean (Monksgarth) and finally 3 years on Cunard Countess (before the "Office" discovered their mistake!)
I came ashore in 1980 and took up the first job I could get thinking that it would "do until a proper job came along".
Here I am 33 years later, still there and still looking for a "proper job" :-)

I occasionally correspond with Mike Rossiter and actually had a call from Frank Dunn recently to tell me that he had found my Mandolin (which I had left on GUNP) in his attic. It came as a bit of surprise to find that despite 33 years in a loft, I still can't play it ...

73's
Don Hamilton

Campbell Pritchett
15th December 2013, 19:50
Just happened to sign again (I think since about 2 years). I'm not a crew member but was a lecturer on board Cunard from 1988 until 2002. My wife Annette and I had so many friends in Cunard, I think they included us in their family. In any event, I signed in to see if
there were any names we recognize. And yes there were. Gareth Hamlin, who eventualy went to work on the first new Disney ship I think. Steve Hare was another. We were very good friends with Capt Robin Woodall, Capt Ron Bolton, Commodore Riddley, Commodore Burton-Hall, Commodore Ron Warwick. and many of the other crew. We sailed 68 trips on QE2, beginning in May 1988, and just completed our 151st cruise which was on Holland America Maasdam, and completed 1516 days at sea and still going. We also sailed 4 times with Capt John Scott, on the Noordam, who was Chief Officer on QE2 back in 1988/89/90. We may sail with him again this coming Feb. Annette and I made a
wonderful pass time of planning our free time on cruise ships. I have to say, the crew of all the cruise lines should be considered Ambassadors, because you meet and greet all walks of life from all over the world, and some passenger's impressions are gathered from you, the crew, who also come from different countries. We retired from BA after 40 years, and Annette after 31 years, and we look back at how our lives have changed and improved because of our experiences on board the cruise ships, and especially in meeting such wonderful people, passengers and crew.
Thanks for this opportunity, and have a wonderful Christmas 2013, and New Year 2014.
Campbell & Annette Pritchett
Oviedo, Florida.

PSQE2
10th January 2014, 20:47
Here is a little more information that may be helpful. I joined QE2 from the Franconia about 6 months after the maiden voyage. At the time Don Butterworth was the Chief with Alan Holmes, Dave Wayne, Jim Neary, Gordon Fry and Clive Russell. I think Roger Latham had just left. Later, Brian Beecham took over from Don while he was on leave. This is why the picture of the radio room that shows up in google search has Brian in it. The others I think are me and Clive Russell. Phil Marriott and Declan O'Reilly joined (or came back) later.
They were all a wonderful group of guys and I remember them fondly.
Later I was moved to the Cunard Adventurer with Declan and we became close friends. I was his best man when he was married in Dublin shortly before he was killed in PR.

Peter Smith

Willum
6th June 2014, 13:07
Heres a photo of the Radio Room and team on QE2 1979
Brian Martin, Ian Hamilton, Me, Allan Holmes and Peter Hughes. Believe it or not, I was actually receiving a QTC from Buckingham Palace as this photo was taken, hence not posing!

BosunsMate
18th June 2014, 18:12
Malcolm! Hi! Bob (or Rob as we know him) lives about 25 yards away from me, in Stamford Bridge, East Yorkshire and is now retired. He finished-up on Channel Ferries and, when they were having cut-backs, he took early retirement.

He is on wife #2 now as wife #1 and he got divorced several years ago.

He is a prolific gardener keeping all hands round here supplied with fresh fruit (strawberries and rasps), peas, beans (of all varieties), spuds, beetroot, lettuce etc. etc.

He and his missis love walking and go off for several days at a time to The Lake District, Dales, North York Moors and any other place they can find where the paths are anything but horizontal!!

They have a mixed-breed dog they got from a rescue place which goes everywhere they go.

That's about all I can really think about to bring you up to date!

I'll tell him you're on SN and if he knows there is at least one person remembers him it may just give him the impetus he needs to join! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

I remember Bob because he always had several flower pots of crops growing on the bridge wing of the Cunard Countess.