R.M.S. Corfu

Boseley
18th August 2008, 21:31
Anybody here sail on the Corfu? I was a Bell Boy in 1960 and did the last trip in 1961. I was then 16, I am now a frizzled up grey haired old sod, perhaps I am unique the only one left?? :-)

Ian6
18th August 2008, 21:58
Hi
Don't worry, you are almost a youngster here. I was on Canton's last voyage (and several previous ones, for that matter) as 3/O and had been at sea several years when you started.

This site has many people older and wiser than me. You are only as old as you feel so I should be getting The Queen's telegram any day now!

Regards
Ian

Boseley
18th August 2008, 22:08
Isnīt it "You are only as old as the woman you feel " :-)

Many thanks for the reply. We passed the Canton Maru in the Suez, she was bound for Japan to be scrapped, Corfu was homeward on the last trip, all just a dream now.

Bob

R58484956
19th August 2008, 11:50
Spent many years on the Canton, a damn good ship and a good crowd and the Chief was the best one I ever sailed with.

madwith
24th August 2008, 11:05
Remember seeing Corfu on numerous occasions in Hong Kong during the late 50s & possibly the very early sixties. Never sailed on the Corfu, but did sail as a seven year old on the Canton in the autumn of 1958, Southampton to Hong Kong. What a brilliant trip! Very rough in the Bay of Biscay. My mother was sea sick, lying in her bunk, not helped by my brother & me lining up our dinky toys & racing them with the roll of the ship across the cabin carpet. We used to get shunted into the nursery during some of the day, but on fine days I seem to remember we were on deck surrounded by a cargo net and supervised by the children's hostess. We used be allowed one drink a day called, I believe a pussyfoot(?), which was a bit of a treat. Only one a day because it cost 1/1d !! I remember being allowed to watch the Canton sail out of Hong Kong, through Lyemun Pass from my classroom on her way to the breakers.

Ian6
24th August 2008, 15:28
As this thread seems to have gently drifted from Corfu to her younger, larger sister Canton I'll chip in again prompted by the last two posts. I was the last 3/O of Canton, making two working voyages to Yokohama and then the sad last trip to HK in October 1962. We arrived and secured to a buoy near the old Kai Tak airport runway. The ship was shut down, but a skeleton crew remained aboard as the HK shipbreakers who had also previously bought one of the Straths from P&O had paid with a dud cheque. We were to await clearance of the cash (expected in a few hours) before handing over Canton. So far, so so, but now a severe typhoon was predicted to pass thru' HK so the shipbreakers stopped their cheque in case Canton broke loose. All ships in port that could leave got the hell out before the storm broke. We remained on board tied to our buoy and the typhoon did pass thru, it did cause much damage but we didn't break loose. It was quite spectacular at its worst. An interesting aspect was the total lack of power on board so no toilets would flush. The most important piece of info when handing over the watch was the next passenger cabin's toilet to use to when nature called. Lucky old shipbreakers when they eventually got her. When the dust settled so did the shipbreakers and we sadly left for the last time.

Ian

Boseley
24th August 2008, 17:17
We must have passed the Carthage in Suez in 1961, not as I said previous the Canton.

Still it is a long time ago. After Corfu I joined Canberra in Belfast, the last voyage to the sea trials and maiden voyage..

Bob Sendall

Stan Tiller
7th October 2008, 09:47
Hi Boseley,
Only found this www today,and found you talking about my first ship and my last.
I dont have any date's for my Corfu time I think I did do two trips, Also as bell boy,But I do remember I was very sea sick !!
So she made a sea man of me.
And then I also went to join Canberra in Belfast,maiden voyage, I seem to recall at we had lots of fun on the sea trials.
Will get back to you later
Stan Tiller.

R58484956
7th October 2008, 10:22
Greetings Stan to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

Michael Broughton
10th March 2010, 11:38
Am I the oldest ex-Corfu around? Joined as Junior Radio Officer in Nov. 54 stayed until Sept. 55 then left to do my radar ticket in Scotland. I also did a stint on Canton, as 2nd RO, in 1961.

Boseley
10th March 2010, 16:40
Am I the oldest ex-Corfu around? Joined as Junior Radio Officer in Nov. 54 stayed until Sept. 55 then left to do my radar ticket in Scotland. I also did a stint on Canton, as 2nd RO, in 1961.

I think you may well be, I am 66 now, and I was Bell Boy in 1960.

Bob Sendall

Boseley
25th November 2010, 12:16
SS CORFU......Is there anyone one out there who was on the trip from Hong Kong to London arriving on the 27th Oct 1957.
I am triing to find any information or photos of my father-in-law's migration to England.
How long would the journey be ?
When did it leave Hong Kong ?

From London to Hong Kong and return was nine weeks, so the journey of your Father in Law would have been four and a half weeks, via Singapore, Penang, Columbo, Bombay, Aden, Suez Canal & Port Said, to London King George the fifth dock.

If you do a search on the Gallery, I have posted a photo of the Corfu,

I cannot help you with the dates in 1957, I was only 13 years old and still at school!

Bob Sendall

angelali
25th November 2010, 16:29
SS CORFU......Is there anyone one out there who was on the trip from Hong Kong to London arriving on the 27th Oct 1957.
I am triing to find any information or photos of my father-in-law's migration to England.
How long would the journey be ?
When did it leave Hong Kong ?

R58484956
25th November 2010, 17:23
As stated above 4 1/2 weeks.

Tingira
26th July 2011, 04:58
Boseley
a very good friend of mine was on the Corfu and did the last voyage his name Robin Lawrence Dining Room, the Corfu was his favorite ship also spending many years on the Canberra I sailed with Robin on the Orcades. Robin is not on line. David

Boseley
26th July 2011, 16:43
Tingira,

On the last trip of the Corfu, I was Bell Boy and worked in the tourist class public rooms as Coffee Boy. I then joined the Canberra and was promoted there to A/stwd, Tourist class dining room waiter. I most certainly will have known Robin Lawrence, but after all these years cannot put a face to the name.

However all is not lost, there is a photo of me on here, when I was a waiter on the Canberra,

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/144343/title/canberra-maiden-voyage/cat/500

Perhaps he remembers me from the photo?

Bob Sendall

Gordi
3rd May 2012, 17:08
Hi all you Corfu fans. I was on the old girl 4-2-57--27-5-57 Only done the one trip .But I have a nice photo of crew members ,after serving The Corfu Cup Lunch.In Hong Kong .But I cannot remember what The Corfu Cup was forI will try to get the photo in the gallery soon as possible cheers Gordi