Commodore 'Black Sam' Dunlop DSO CBE

Hugh MacLean
19th August 2008, 21:25
Cant be many who saw action in both WWII and the Falklands. Sounds like a remarkable man - RIP.

I am sure he must be known to many of our RFA members.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...m--Dunlop.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/2581224/Commodore-Black-Sam--Dunlop.html)

Regards

slick
20th August 2008, 06:29
All,
Once met never forgotten.
Yours aye,
Slick

doric
20th August 2008, 14:57
I raise my hat to you, you are a great example of all peoples who sail the seven seas, particularily during unwanted wars like world war 11. we love you all who have expressed your values in this manner. But what a fickle crowd we are!, Wars are so futile, what do they prove?, except line the bank accounts of the hypocritical few?. May you " Cross the line " peacefully, we shall always remember you. Terence Williams. R538301.

TARBATNESS
7th December 2008, 15:31
My Captain in FORT AUSTIN (1981) for the visit by HMtQ to mark the RFA's 75th. A formidable man who sacred the hell out of Junior Officers!

Shaun

holland25
7th December 2008, 20:30
I sailed with him on the Olmeda in 1969, I always thought he was a good captain. One night he came into the Radio Room during the 12-4,dressed in slacks and sweater and asked me to "excuse his rig",I of course, graciously acquiesced.I have often wondered if he would have gone back and changed into his uniform if I hadn't.

On another occasion we were at the Portland buoys and on short notice for sea and consequently still on watches. He was living in Weymouth at the time and had slipped ashore for the night,rank has its privileges. At about 2 am we got a signal from ashore to proceed to sea at 6am. The second mate and I had a bit of a discussion about calling him,we didnt have a shore phone line rigged. I think the big worry was about who would pay for the phone call. When I called up Niton Radio to place the call the operator asked, "if I knew what time it was?".
I assured him that the recipient would be grateful for the call, as he was.

Later on I received word that my father was dying and he made every to get me home.