Fleet Review

Paul UK
29th June 2005, 19:42
Anybody down at Portsmouth(UK) yesterday 28/06/2005 for the fleet review taken some photos of the attendees.

I am informed that there was over 160 warships out there and it looked like it as soon as I can I will put some pics on the board.

Also took quite a lot of video or the evening and afternoon, trafalga battle and fireworks with all the tall ships in if I can and if anybody can advise if it is possible ( Please say if not allowed as I am a newboy) I could put it on for all to see (it is a bit shaky though)

Paul UK

Bob S
29th June 2005, 20:37
Two views of the assembled fleet. Not all vessels could be captured in two shots, a total of 165 ships took part.

Bob S
29th June 2005, 20:41
The review group consisted of the Trinity House tender PATRICIA leading the group, HMS ENDURANCE (A171) with HRH on board, HMS CHATHAM (F87), HMS SCOTT (H131), RFA SIR BEDIVERE (L3004), HMS ENTERPRISE (H88), Yacht LEANDER and replica frigate GRAND TURK.

Bob S
29th June 2005, 20:43
The Steam Pass group was led by HMS CUMBERLAND (F85), followed by HMAS ANZAC (150), HMS GLOUCESTER (D96), HMCS MONTREAL (336), HMS WESTMINSTER (F237) & HMS GRAFTON (F80).

Bob S
29th June 2005, 20:45
I'll put some photos in the gallery over the next couple of days.

Paul UK
29th June 2005, 22:05
Great photos bob

your right far to many in one shot

Paul

beryte
29th June 2005, 23:03
Security was so stringent at Spithead yesterday that I had to resort to pulling the plug out of the Solent - so that I could walk around the ships!!

These shots were taken from under Ryde Pier. Beryte

Baltic Wal
29th June 2005, 23:22
Unfortunately did not arrive in Portsmouth until last night but watched some of them come in from the end of the dockyard. spending the next 4 days in the Sea Vision stand but with luck might get out on the Essex Police Launch if I meet up with them. Should get some reasonable photos.

thunderd
30th June 2005, 01:03
We got it on the news here in Aus last night, one of the most impressive sights I have ever seen.......who said Britain was a spent force?

James_C
30th June 2005, 02:56
Perhaps True Derek, but literally EVERY British 'warship' that had a working engine and some crew was out there. And I mean EVERYTHING was out there. Add to the fact, that a lot (most?) of the ships there were foreign visitors!

30th June 2005, 05:47
Glad you liked it guys. Having visited my accountant recently, I can now announce that I was a major financial backer of this event.

Dave (Thumb)

Paul UK
30th June 2005, 08:44
A lot of my pics are misty to, when I got there it was either heat haze or the on coming storm hay ho off to international festival of the seas now so maybe some better pics if the rain holds off.

Regards

Paul UK

Doug Rogers
30th June 2005, 09:17
We got it on the news here in Aus last night, one of the most impressive sights I have ever seen.......who said Britain was a spent force?

Yes but unfortunately a large number werent British!!.

thunderd
30th June 2005, 09:53
I know I'm going to hate myself for this and will probably be chastised by the moderators for getting political but I just gotta do it

Yes there were a lot of foreign ships there and the old fleet may be getting a bit tired but they can still be rejuvinated and have a sting in their tail, just ask a certain South American country, and a few others as well...

30th June 2005, 11:17
..just ask a certain South American country, and a few others as well...

Well, I dunno about that.. The RAF were keeping an eye on them just in case a few Super Etendardes slipped through and gave them a pasting again.

However, as far as being smug about oneself goes, they made a grand job of it. I just hope they don't go mad and award us the Olympics on the strength of it, or I'll have to defer retirement to pay for that too. (*))
Dave

thunderd
30th June 2005, 11:44
Ah well Dave that's the penalty you pay for a massive income and unparalled generosity....I suppose good looks are a bit too much to hope for as well....LO(VERY)L

trotterdotpom
30th June 2005, 11:54
I know I'm going to hate myself for this and will probably be chastised by the moderators for getting political but I just gotta do it

Yes there were a lot of foreign ships there and the old fleet may be getting a bit tired but they can still be rejuvinated and have a sting in their tail, just ask a certain South American country, and a few others as well...

Don't forget HMS Nottingham's invasion of Lord Howe Island last year.
Whoops.

John T.

Bob S
30th June 2005, 13:24
As Paul UK says, either heat haze or the beckoning storm, luckily the latter held off until late afternoon. Mind you, the ship I was on had to more on the north side of Spithead so the sun was always in the wrong place.
Close ups look a lot better, see some of them in the gallery in the near future.

30th June 2005, 14:01
Ah well Dave that's the penalty you pay for a massive income and unparalled generosity....I suppose good looks are a bit too much to hope for as well....LO(VERY)L

I know, I know! Still, my incredibly young wife finds me attractive and it can't be the money, she has her own!

(Thumb)

Doug Rogers
1st July 2005, 02:41
Security was so stringent at Spithead yesterday that I had to resort to pulling the plug out of the Solent - so that I could walk around the ships!!

These shots were taken from under Ryde Pier. Beryte

Thats a great line but where did u get the crane to pull the plug, last time I saw it it weighed at least two hundred tonnes.

Doug Rogers
1st July 2005, 06:50
Well, I dunno about that.. The RAF were keeping an eye on them just in case a few Super Etendardes slipped through and gave them a pasting again.

However, as far as being smug about oneself goes, they made a grand job of it. I just hope they don't go mad and award us the Olympics on the strength of it, or I'll have to defer retirement to pay for that too. (*))
Dave

It was a magnificent effort anyway and I am sure that Britain will get the Olympics next. Then you can join the club and instead of spending money on the Military you can all spend the next ten or twenty years paying the Olympics off!!

Paul UK
1st July 2005, 07:39
I dont think that you will need to worry about paying for the olympics if you were stuck in the highly organised traffic jam on tuesday night trying to get out of Portsmouth after the fireworks.

I was waiting for the news of a bank raid as the jam was as good as the Italian Job with even the Police stuggling to get through and they had blue lights and sirens.

1st July 2005, 09:01
I dont think that you will need to worry about paying for the olympics if you were stuck in the highly organised traffic jam on tuesday night trying to get out of Portsmouth after the fireworks.
Ah yes! I didn't see any of the event on television, but I did catch some official being interviewed about it. The reporter snuck in a barbed question about traffic jams and the bloke admitted it had taken him about four hours to get four miles. He laughed it off and said he'd heard it was because a bus had broken down.

You'd wonder why we'd waste time having a Navy if we can paralyze a whole city with a clapped out bus. We could parachute them in from C130s.(Jester)

Dave

ian jackson
1st July 2005, 12:10
I was working at Semaphore Tower over the period of the review and managed to get up in a helicopter on the day before the review. Got some good aerial shots of the fleet and individual vessels. Will post whe I get bck from holiday in a week or so. It was a glorious sight.
Ian

R736476
4th July 2005, 19:12
The Trafalgar opponents put up a very fine deck display of aircraft on Charles de Gaulle and Principe de Asturias. Invincible had a marquee. Can't say what was on Illustrious as she was at the western end and out of my vision.

Bob S
4th July 2005, 19:32
To be fair, she had two marquee's, with a Sea King helo in between.
Illustrious didn't even have a marquee!!
will post photo here soon.

R736476
4th July 2005, 19:45
The Trafalgar opponents put up a very fine deck display of aircraft on Charles de Gaulle and Principe de Asturias. Invincible had a marquee. Can't say what was on Illustrious as she was at the western end and out of my vision.

R736476
4th July 2005, 19:47
Whoops! Pressed wrong key. Thanks Robert.

R736476
5th July 2005, 01:38
Glad you liked it guys. Having visited my accountant recently, I can now announce that I was a major financial backer of this event.

Dave (Thumb)
Dave,
Following up and guarding the rear of Patricia, Endurance, etc etc was the humungus motor yacht Leander. Thank you for your additional contributions to the review parking in NCP and contributing to Leander, her presence and continued upkeep. Why was Leander there?
Cheers

5th July 2005, 08:51
Dave,
Following up and guarding the rear of Patricia, Endurance, etc etc was the humungus motor yacht Leander. Thank you for your additional contributions to the review parking in NCP and contributing to Leander, her presence and continued upkeep. Why was Leander there?
Cheers

Dunno, the Minister for War Mongering and Pretention didn't bother me with the details, just sent me the bill, a bit like the family really. Still, glad you enjoyed it. (*))

Dave

Bob S
5th July 2005, 20:01
The LEANDER was also flying the White Ensign.

With refference to the offical Trafalgar 200 programme, LEANDER is a 74.8 metre super yacht owned by Sir Donald Gosling and is regarded as one of the most beautful vessels of her type..... there words, not mine.

Dosen't answer your question but here's a photo anyway.

James_C
5th July 2005, 21:40
Ah, so a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron then. One of the sillies from Cowes...

5th July 2005, 22:13
Was expecting it to be a Leander class frigate done up in a civvy paint job. I guess that would have been too interesting. I don't imagine I was billed directly for this.

Doug Rogers
6th July 2005, 05:34
Was expecting it to be a Leander class frigate done up in a civvy paint job. I guess that would have been too interesting. I don't imagine I was billed directly for this.

Having a private yacht may be one thing but could you really imagine the old Leander (or similar) being used as a private yacht...your name would have to be Gates to fund the crew and fuel oil for it....as nice as it might be!!..still no problem with piracy thats for sure...now what was my name again??.

thunderd
6th July 2005, 06:41
The LEANDER was also flying the White Ensign.

With refference to the offical Trafalgar 200 programme, LEANDER is a 74.8 metre super yacht owned by Sir Donald Gosling and is regarded as one of the most beautful vessels of her type..... there words, not mine.

Dosen't answer your question but here's a photo anyway.
I reckon she looks a bit like Robert Maxwell's boatie, blessed if I can remember the name started with a G... I think. I won't bother asking Doug he'd have fallen into the malt bottle by now LOL

6th July 2005, 08:25
I reckon she looks a bit like Robert Maxwell's boatie, blessed if I can remember the name started with a G... I think. I won't bother asking Doug he'd have fallen into the malt bottle by now LOL

For some odd reason, I seem to remember it being the Lady Gislaine, although my spelling may be incorrect. The thought of him floating off into the sunset makes me think we're back on the Whaling topic again.

Dave (*))

Edit: Just done a Google and it was the Ghislaine... Lady Gislaine was about 21ft long with an outboard engine.. Oh Well, at least I got it wrong on my own, without the benefit of the malt bottle. (Jester)

Doug Rogers
6th July 2005, 09:04
She looks a nice vessel, hull form is great,bit too much uperworks for my esthetic taste though but each to their own (think I really preferred the earlier RN Leander frigate to be honest). And there is nothing wrong with a quiet dram or two, fallen into the bottle indeed..have you any idea of my girth!! lol.

thunderd
6th July 2005, 09:52
For some odd reason, I seem to remember it being the Lady Gislaine, although my spelling may be incorrect. The thought of him floating off into the sunset makes me think we're back on the Whaling topic again.

Dave (*))

Edit: Just done a Google and it was the Ghislaine... Lady Gislaine was about 21ft long with an outboard engine.. Oh Well, at least I got it wrong on my own, without the benefit of the malt bottle. (Jester)
Thanks Dave, he wasn't pretty was he? According to a documentary I saw recently they never did get to the bottom of his demise, probably because nobody cared enough except the poor people whose super funds vanished.

Doug I withdraw the scurillous implication I made about your malt consumption it was totally beastly of me and the result of another senior moment

Doug Rogers
6th July 2005, 10:44
Nae sweat, I find it helps with Senior moments. And speaking of the celebrations wouldnt it have been wonderful to have had the old Vanguard there at Portsmouth!!, was looking at the picture of her in the Gallery earlier, another one of Fairfields classics!!.

6th July 2005, 14:04

Promises, Promises !

Time to go and live in France I think.. I can't bear the thought of our smug prime minister taking the credit for this for the rest of his time in office. :@

Paul UK
6th July 2005, 16:37
Dave

You had better start saving or you will be 200 before we pay for the olympics,
still the only saving grace is that we beat the red team by four votes.

Paul UK

Dave

Paul UK
6th July 2005, 16:50
Dave are you possibly speaking of Glare Blair after all bring back spitting image they would have had a whale of a time.

Anyway is France still to close after HRH Blair is in charge of euroland for the next six months.

Paul

Promises, Promises !

Time to go and live in France I think.. I can't bear the thought of our smug prime minister taking the credit for this for the rest of his time in office. :@

fred henderson
6th July 2005, 17:37
Dave,
Cheers

Almost all of the cost of the Review was paid for by commercial donations, so presumably NCP paid to be in the line up. You surely dont think that Gordon would allow anything over a bawbee to spent on naval ceremonials.

Fred

thunderd
7th July 2005, 05:46
Almost all of the cost of the Review was paid for by commercial donations, so presumably NCP paid to be in the line up. You surely dont think that Gordon would allow anything over a bawbee to spent on naval ceremonials.

Fred
That's funny Fred I heard somewhere that Dave M generously paid for it all (Cloud)

7th July 2005, 09:30
That's funny Fred I heard somewhere that Dave M generously paid for it all (Cloud)

True, I've got the receipt somewhere, if I can find it, I'll post it. (*))
Dave

thunderd
7th July 2005, 11:49
Cheque's in the mail etc Dave???

johnjames06
7th February 2011, 20:21

Anyone with half a brain