Wind Scoops

japottinger
23rd August 2008, 16:54
On the SS Maihar we had no air conditioning so (I was 4th) I cut up some oil drums and flattened them out and re-rolled to the diameter to fit in the portholes, added a wooden hand grip, hey presto had a air scoop!
Soon I had a roaring trade in the manufacture of these for 3rd. 2nd and Chief (5th could make his own!) As my cabin on the starboard side was forward of the 3rd and 2nd I made mine with a little extension to catch most of the breeze!
Anyone else with homemade improvements.

Supergoods
23rd August 2008, 18:15
I remember the Maihar had inside alleyways open to the breeze for the midship accomodation with the accomodation extending out to the ship's side.

The Apprentices had a 2 man self contained unit on the boat deck with ports forward and aft, although, as the forward port looked over the engine skylight, not much cool air from that source.

The other innovation was the swiming pool built in the old cross bunker hatch behind the funnel when the Maihar was converted from coal to oil burning.

japottinger
23rd August 2008, 19:55
Just so Supergoods, you obviously sailed on tne old Queen of the Sunderbunds!
I sailed on two trips after she had been "rebuilt" at Stephens at Glasgow, when did you sail on her?
The swimming pool was a real novelty, as you say built in to the deck aft of the funnel. The engineers acc. was outboard of a wide internal alleyway, all the cabins had a light jalousie door with another very heavy outer door. Bunk, settee, desk with usual fold down writing flap and book rack above, and an electric rotary fan on the same bulkhead and w.b.on opp. bulkhead.
All powered by a 110 volt system!
Happy, happy days

John Williams 56-65
23rd August 2008, 21:34
On the Devonia we spent quite a lot of time in and between UK ports during the summer cruising season. The POs Mess decided to buy a TV set for use during those times. It worked well enough when we were tied up alongside but rapidly deteriorated when we were on the move. We could hold on to the picture for a while but we needed someone to turn the aerial from time to time as the ship altered course. This was achieved by having someone turning it by hand under directions from those below shouting up through a large grated airvent up to the deck above. I decided we could do better than that and I set about finding a way to turn the aerial while standing in front of the television.After several failed attempts my solution was to use a hand drill such as the chippie used for drilling holes in wood. After removing the chuck I welded a ten foot length of steel pipe the the drill and after bracing the drill so that it was held steady, I fitted a cross piece to the large gear wheel to which the handle would normally be attatched. The cross piece was only about a foot long and needed only a small pull on rope that was tied to each end to turn the aerial to get a picture. Success !