Where did everyone go?

Stuart Polson
23rd August 2008, 21:23
Attached photo of Captain Richard Noble on his first day in command of a Maersk box boat July 2008. Richard was made redundant along with the rest of us when Ben Line ceased to man ships in 1992. Who is still at sea? working ashore? Retired?

Regards
Stuart

Cutsplice
24th August 2008, 01:09
Stuart, its an excellent question, one I often think of. I was ok I retired but so many were still too young to retire so I often where they went, especially the ratings both deck and engine. Mates and engineers were reasonably ok as they were a great demand for them foreign flag, I was offered a number of positions foreign flag but I did not fancy it so I retired a few years early but I could afford to do it, many could not.

john fraser
24th August 2008, 01:47
Stuart,
Pen and paper at the ready. Both myself and Stephen Carroll are on DSV Kestrel owned by Caldive an American outfit. Myself as Chief Steward and Steve as 2nd.Engineer.Only other I know from Ben Line in this company is Gordon Shaw on the Uncle John

celsis
24th August 2008, 10:57
Came out in 1986 and went to yooni. Got my degree and now working in computing in Ireland, earning more than I ever did at sea.

Still wanna go back, though.....

Mike MacKinnon

ddraigmor
24th August 2008, 11:19
Same as Celsis above - the final redundancy coincided with my being diagnosed diabetic so that put the tin lid on it all, back in 1995. Looked around, decided to go to college and here I am 13 years later with a list of letters after my name, an interesting (if stressful) job - but I'd give anything to go back to sea.

Oh and I still don't wear suits!

Jonty

Graham Spencer
26th August 2008, 17:23
Jeeez I remember Richard Noble as a Cadet..............makes me feel old (OK I guess 47 is oldish). Personally I didn't last until the redundancies leaving in 1989 (Promotion was Dead Mans Shoes).
Currently living/ working in Canada with the Victoria Class Submarines.

Stuart Polson
27th August 2008, 08:20
Ex Ben Line, now Sullom Voe Pilots: Myself, Terry Mouat and Bob Lynch, Andy Sandison retired a few years ago.

ian keyl
29th August 2008, 23:52
Where did they all go ,good question. Many shipping lines suffered the same way as Ben Line but many of the staff moved on to pastures a new.
Some of the companies who had been Ben's competitors in the far east recognised the strong and good qualities of ex Ben Line staff from the engine room ,deck and above .
Peter Williamson 1st mate is now working partime with Hapag Lloyd I&C London ,John Mackinnon 1st mate,went to NYK as UK Import sales manager (retired),Peter Murphy 1st mate ,went to PONL as UK Project Manager, (retired) and many others took up jobs back at sea . My grey matter is failing me as i have just retired last year and iam srtugglimg to remember names of those i sailed with in the 60's and those who i met in the 70/80/90's during my career in the container industry ashore. Even many of those who were at the very top of BL ashore went on to good jobs .
It would be interesting to see more Ben lads on this site.
Rgds Ian.

Paul Barford
31st August 2008, 17:24
I was among the first batch made redundant in 1981,then like many others went 'foreign flag', initially with Sanko Line and later with other companies.Currently in Teekay and still sailing,although the novelty has certainly worn off after 36years!
Now on new generation LNG vessels that have come into service within the last six months.
Have come across a couple of old Ben Line men in Teekay, Mike Crooks C/E, is still sailing but like us all, rapidly approaching retirement.Davey Wickens was here as was Stan Heron,now both retired some years ago.
Still have happy memories of the early days with Ben Line,although had my eyes opened when I joined my first 'foreign ship'...even had my own toilet!!

Cheers,
Paul

roymuir
11th September 2008, 00:21
Still at sea. Home on leave from a new vessel, "Ark Sydney", running out of Darwin to the Bayu Undan field south of Timor.
Regards, Roy. (Kiwi)

Ali Bain
11th September 2008, 11:41
Left the Benline late 1977 as the light was going out at the end of the tunnel as was not impressed with the Box Boats(Cloud) . Spent twelve years on the fishing boats in the North Sea and have been on the rigs for the last twenty years. At present working for Seawell as chief mechanic on the Brae Alpha, hopefully still a few years to go.(Thumb)
Regards-Ali. Bain ex professional third engineer

pete
13th September 2008, 02:45
Sorry to break into your thread but I was a Bankline Man for x no of years. Great times, but redundancy of course in 1980 so went to U.A.S.C. for a few years, swallowed anchor and bought a Pub on Dartmoor. Retired and now living in Herefordshire. We were all professionals doing our jobs as best we could, be it Ben Line or Bankline or whoever. Umm, giyus a job pal.................pete (Jester)

leithlad
15th September 2008, 15:38
Joined my first Ben boat ( Benmacdhui ) in 1964 as deck boy. I was same age as the ship 15. Skipper was WC Watson and the Bosun was Willie Crooks. Wattie Bruce was the Chippie and an ecletic bunch of interesting characters made up the rest of the crew. Sailed on a few more Ben boats before moving on eventually settlin in NZ.

binliner
25th September 2008, 15:12
Have become j.clarksons worst nightmare since my wife retired as well --bought touring caravan-- get the bikes on the back of the car and trying to explore this country after years of holidays cycling through france and germany.
So far done parts of suffolk -n.wales -cheshire -heading back to cheshire next week (if weather holds) then down to south wales.
So if your stuck behind a lunar quasar caravan with two bikes perched between it and the car-- dont curse me too much --just enjoying retirement after about 30yrs of benline and atlantic drilling.

DAVY F
27th September 2008, 02:08
Joined Benline in 1977 as Junior Engineer, made redundant in 1986, have been Offshore since then, 18 years on Alwyn North Platform as Senior Control room Operator, and the last 3 years on the Scott Platform as Control room Operator.

Still miss being at Sea, best day's of my life!

Davy Flaherty(Pint)

ernhelenbarrett
27th September 2008, 07:48
Good to hear from all the ex Ben Line blokes, I joined my first,the heavy lifter
Benalbanach in December 1947 then was on a couple of the Liberty boats, Bendoran and Benvrackie then Bencruachan (1948 version)and last one was Benvorlich, went back to Leith Nautical for my "Sparks" Ticket and then on various Marconi ships from BTC, Bank, Glenns of Glasgow, BI, Port Line and Shaw Savills then came to Australia with AWA, redundant in 1992 along with all other Sparks and now retired in Adelaide..Any spare heavy rain would be
muchly appreciated down this way thanks.
Salaams Ern Barrett

Iain T
9th October 2008, 04:37
Greetings to all, this is my first message since joining SN a few days ago! Was Ben Line Nav Cadet 1972-74, came ashore and worked in ships agency, chartering and shipbroking. Qualified in I.C.S. exams in 1984, becoming Agency Manager. Change of course in May this year - now with Lerwick Port Authority as Port Controller.
Best wishes, Iain Tulloch.

mmb3
2nd November 2008, 12:18
Hi Stuart,
I still keep in touch with John Kelly who is back down in scouseland after being back in Motherwell as a (very) mature student.
Occasional meetings with other guys.
I did a spell on coasters then went with PONL but chuched it 2 years back when Maersk took over.
Would be great to hear from you by PM

amacneil
8th November 2008, 21:14
I, along with over 100 Ben Liners went offshore in the early 80s with Atlantic Drilling. I left them in 88 before they went under. Continued to work offshore for new employer as a trainer and have now "retired" to an onshore position. Quite a few of the guys who went to Atlantic moved on to Stena and Maersk Drilling. Eddie Duncan went to Maerk- Dave King is at RN Faslane. Scooby (ex-3rd Eng) died in a motorbike accident.
Life was much simpler back at sea.
Ally MacNeil

John Mac
11th November 2008, 23:00
Hello Stuart,
A name from the past. Sailed with yourself and a few time including the Benalder drydock trip in 1990 when your wife done the voyage.
Know of the whereabouts of a couple of our ex-shipmates:
Myself and Gordon McKinnon are Cheifs on the tugs at the BP Hound Point terminal on the Forth.
Two of the Forth Pilots are Gordon Blakey and Ian Walker.
Andy Rendal, who was Ch/Off on that drydock trip is an MCA surveyor, he was working out of the Edinburgh office but the last time I spoke to him he thought he may be getting moved.
Willy Campbell - he was a chemy tanker chief who done trip(s) on the box boats for a while is a Lloyds surveyor who I see quite frequently.

I'm sure there are others, I'll put my mind to it when I've not had so much wine.
Any back to work tomorrow for 2 weeks so have to go and pack my bag

O' the best
John McAtear - Ex 2nd Engineer

Roddy Munro
14th November 2008, 20:32
Theres been a lot of names mentioned here,but I wonder if any of the senior deck crew members I sailed with in the 1960s are still around.To name but a few.Charlie Sedgewick,Davy Drummond,Andy Daniels,Dougie Walker.All great guys,but if still around,getting on in years.Would be nice to know if they are still about.

celsis
15th November 2008, 09:34
Gawd, I remember Dougie Walker. He used to call me a communist because his father had worked for the Duke of Buccleuch and I used to wind him up by telling him that as soon as the revolution came, the first up against the wall would be the dukes and duchesses!

john fraser
15th November 2008, 12:48
Davie Drummond passed away a good few years ago.Also I believe Andy Daniels passed away

EBenarty
18th November 2008, 20:17
Hi,
Andy Rendall is now an MCA inspector in Inverness still the same never changed- great bloke

wully farquhar
20th November 2008, 14:26
EBENARTY,
Hello Billy,
You still plyin up and down the canal,must be tough eh!!!!lol

Alistair Spence
13th December 2008, 21:46
was a cadet with Ben line through to 1979 but opted to come ashore and am now marina master at Craobh Marina south of Oban. Often bump into Bob Shaw who was my chief off on the Bencruachan in 1977, he's living in Lochgilphead. Sadly another old shipmate from the Benalder, Ian Flemming (c/o) passed away two years ago, he lived in Lochgilphead too and kept his motor boat with me.

Derek Dunn
14th December 2008, 09:52
Hi Stuart, I left BL in 1981 under a bit of a cloud and totally dis-illusioned. On reflection and in the light of the present economic situation I know only too well how employers treat their staff. That said; I became an insurance engineer surveyor in 1984 inspecting mainly pressure plant in Essex and Kent. In 1988 I changed employers and moved back to central Scotland and was trained to inspect all types of lifting equipment. I was even covering Shetland at one time. Four years ago and due to company expansion I returned to inspecting only pressure plant, this includes a few steam traction engines and some main line steam locos, I even inspect the boilers on the Sir Walter Scott on Loch Katrine. All very interesting but I am seeing a huge loss of skills in engineering in our country so much so I find myself being asked more and more by clients how they should be operating THEIR plant!!! Only 7 seven years to go until pension day. Give my regards to Bob Lynch, Zander Simpson, Willie Anderson and Roger-the-bosun (I can't recall his surname).
Derek Dunn.

Derek Dunn
14th December 2008, 10:01
Hi Alistair, sorry to see that Ian Fleming passed away, I sailed with him on the maiden voyage of the Benavon, he was a real gent! Have you heard of the whereabouts of Hughie Clark from Ardrishaig? Another one for you, my father used to own a 50 foot ring netter called Rose Valley, is she at Craobh? I believe she was there about 10 years ago.

john fraser
14th December 2008, 12:37
Derek.
Look up www.fishingboatsforsale.com The Rose Valley is for sale there.I think its the same one was up my way on the Moray Firth years ago

roymuir
14th December 2008, 12:46
G'day Kelvinman, I think Roger the Bosun you are thinking of may be Roger Goudie from Shetland. He is a member of SN. Shouldn't be too hard to track down.
Regards, Roy.

Leith Lass
15th December 2008, 01:06
My father, Henry Galloway, was catering officer from ?1960's - 1980. I vaguely remember one of his last trips being on Benalder, but have more memories of Bengloe, Ben Lawers and Benalbanach in the early to mid-70's. He died five years ago.

john fraser
15th December 2008, 01:57
Hi Leith Lass.
I.m pretending I don,t know your name.In the 60,s your dad had a cook with him called Eric Matthews(Lofty Matthews) lived about Newhaven area or Inverleith,near Capt.Spencer I think. I wondered if your mam or anyone heard anything about him

Alistair Spence
15th December 2008, 20:51
Kelvinman, Would the Hughie Clark you mention be the ex 3rd Eng on the Bencruachan back in the mid seventies ? I seem to remember he bought a car on leave, drove it home and promptly put it up on blocks because he received instructions the same day. Same man ?

Leith Lass
15th December 2008, 22:07
Hi Leith Lass.
I.m pretending I don,t know your name.In the 60,s your dad had a cook with him called Eric Matthews(Lofty Matthews) lived about Newhaven area or Inverleith,near Capt.Spencer I think. I wondered if your mam or anyone heard anything about him

Hi John,

Ironically, Eric Matthews phoned my mother a few months ago, something about a possible reunion, not realising my dad had passed away. He apparently still lives in the Newhaven area.

Lisa (Leith Lass)

Derek Dunn
16th December 2008, 18:56
That sounds like Hughie. He was friends with Ian Fleming. Hughie was a real professional 3rd. An excellent engineer who knew the engineroom inside-out.

Darrin Drummond
17th December 2008, 07:18
Davie Drummond passed away a good few years ago.Also I believe Andy Daniels passed away

Hi there sailed with benline for a short while,Davy Drummond was my dad,he died around 22 years ago,I went down the offshore route,now sub sea engineer.Living in Daldety bay Fife.

ian keyl
19th December 2008, 00:01
HI Darrin,
Iam Ian Keyl and i sailed with your dad on the ben wyvis/valla and when on leave together we used to go drinking with him and Mike Hudson who was a chief electricain in ben and also lived in Inverkeithing. Your dad was a great character and i got him promoted to bosun .he was'nt keen and i had to work on him for a while to convince him he had the atributes to make a good leader and the experinece to teach others. If i remember correctly your dad lived in some flats on the edinburgh road on the lhs going towards south queens ferry. Good to hear of you and glad you keeping the marine connection going in your family , take care.

Ian.

spongebob
19th December 2008, 00:09
Did any of you old Ben Line men ever sail with an old friend of mine, Jim Donn? He was a kiwi that served as an engineer during the early to mid 50's

Bob

cjac
25th January 2009, 10:06
Hi to you all,
I just logged o to the SN site.
I had good times with B.L. from '62 - 82. I often wonder what happened to several folks and a T. K. Meikle - he was 2/0 on the 'mhor.

Regards
Chris Cladingbowl.

EBenarty
26th January 2009, 21:55
Kelvinman, Would the Hughie Clark you mention be the ex 3rd Eng on the Bencruachan back in the mid seventies ? I seem to remember he bought a car on leave, drove it home and promptly put it up on blocks because he received instructions the same day. Same man ?

That is te Hughie I sailed with on the Cruachan !!!!!

Derek Dunn
27th January 2009, 17:42
That is te Hughie I sailed with on the Cruachan !!!!!
I think Hughie did quite a few trips on the 'Cruachan. Willie Mair was 2/e and Abe Davidson was Chief also for several trips when she was new.

cams
15th February 2009, 13:31
sorry to Iain Fleming w\as dead he was a real gentleman as was the Master Angus MacKenzie, who Ibelieve died lst year I also believe HughIe Clark of Ardreshaig died last year also. There was 8 Argyll men on the Benalder that trip! 7 Inverness men! so the camanach cup final was a real laugh! I

Ali Bain
16th February 2009, 16:51
Leith Lass,Sorry to hear about your father, I sailed with him on the Albanach in the seventies, he was a fine man and the Albanach was a good feeder.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

lakercapt
16th February 2009, 22:07
Did anyone meet a person called Donald Ross.
I went to school with him (Leith Nautical)

forthbridge
16th February 2009, 22:13
Did anyone meet a person called Donald Ross.
I went to school with him (Leith Nautical)

There was Donald Ross who was Marine Superintendent in the 1970s

lakercapt
17th February 2009, 03:04
There was Donald Ross who was Marine Superintendent in the 1970s

Thanks for that I wondered what happened to him.

EBenarty
21st February 2009, 22:41
Hi Wully,
You will remember Capt. MacMillan who was the Ben Line pilot from Folkestone to Gravesend, before he became Harbour Master at Scrabster. But can you remember the name of the mud pilot who took us from Gravesend - Alf ???
Billy

john fraser
22nd February 2009, 01:38
Hi Wully,
You will remember Capt. MacMillan who was the Ben Line pilot from Folkestone to Gravesend, before he became Harbour Master at Scrabster. But can you remember the name of the mud pilot who took us from Gravesend - Alf ???
Billy
Billy .
We used to call Alf. Ham Sandwich.Any time you went with the menu he asked for Ham Sandwichs for two.One for him and one for his wife to take to the Bingo.One time Derek Hume when he was 2nd.Mate.took out the meat and swapped it for chart paper.

ian keyl
22nd February 2009, 01:56
I remember sailing with Jimmy MacKintosh when he was ch/of on the Hope and he told me of a time when he was cadet and the ch/of on the vessel he was on senthim to get a old tin of Melroses coffee from the pantry and get it filled with White gloss.
Alf had asked for some to paint his front door and our paint Leighs of bolton was the best ,so off went Jimmy duly got no one painter to fill the tin and returned to the bridge . The ch/of took it to the rear of the bridge and with a knife put a hole in the bottom of the tin, hereturned and gave it to Alf and told him to put into his coat before the old man saw it .I t apparanltly was still dark when they left the ship and Alf had not noticed the tin leaking onto his coat.
Out ward bound after the coast the ch/of got a message from the old man that Alf had put a claim into the Dock Office for a new coat as it was spoilt by wet paint on the bulwark next to the gangway. who has the last laugh.
Alf never left a vessel with out his sarnies regardless of the time of day.

Rgds Ian.

EBenarty
22nd February 2009, 21:41
Billy .
We used to call Alf. Ham Sandwich.Any time you went with the menu he asked for Ham Sandwichs for two.One for him and one for his wife to take to the Bingo.One time Derek Hume when he was 2nd.Mate.took out the meat and swapped it for chart paper.

John,
Fine I remind that. But one trip we had 2 siamese cats as cargo and a big supply of tinned cat food for them. Alf asked for a sandwich and the cadet was sent down to get some. On asking the steward for sandwiches, the steward thought cheeky b"""""r but made him some cat food sandwiches which the cadet took to the bridge for Alf. He got stuck into them , saying they were delicious and asked for some more. Down goes the cadet and said the Pilot would like another sandwich, the red faced steward said that was the last of the tuna and gave him ham.
I think you may have been involved ??????

ian keyl
20th March 2009, 01:59
Are there any of you old Ben salts out there who may know the where abouts of the following.

Allister MacCulloch 2nd mate on coast from edinburgh(father worked in Forsyths gents out fitters on Princes st oppJenners.) 1968/9
Peter Anelli 3rd mate on voyage Benhope from edinburgh1968.
Mike Duffin 2nd mate came over from Ellerman when we took over five ships on coast Valla,Wyvis 1967/8 came from norfolk or down south.
John Groat cadet and 3 rd mate up for ticket same time from Orkney used to play fiddle in purple Onion in Edinburgh last sawhim at ben Office reunion 2/3 years ago at fettes rugby club.
Allister Rankin 2nd mate from Argyle i think on coast together 68/69.
Five good friends great for a laugh and ships parties any info will be gratefull.

Rgds Ian.

EBenarty
23rd March 2009, 00:17
I sailed with Alan McCulloch in 1966 when he was 3 rd. Mate on the Nevis and I was Cadet. I later sailed with him on the Vrackie when he was Mate and I was 2nd. Mate. I knew John Groat well and the last I heard of him was a couple of years ago when when he was was working for the Port of Leith Authority in the control room.

binliner
23rd March 2009, 17:14
I think peter anelli left benline and joined lothian & borders police for a while and then came back to benline in the mid 70s.

Derek Dunn
23rd March 2009, 17:31
I did a coast with Alistair Rankin, when he was Ch/Off, in 1975 on the Albanach, (ex Pando boat). Alistair went to the "dipstick" Ben ocean lancer but somewhere in the back of my mind I heard that Alistair had died. Can't be sure though.

Derek.

Anjin
25th March 2009, 00:06
Donald Ross was superintendent while I was on the chemical tankers (early 80s). I briefly saw him on board a ship doing a charterer's vetting in about 93 (for Shell, I believe) - didn't really get a chance to talk to him as I was boarding from the pilot cutter and he was getting off.

Ricky Dooley
6th June 2009, 10:23
Hi Guys,
Just came on to the site recently and seeing a lot of the old names brings back some, a lot, of happy memories. Sailed with Ben Line from 1976 to 1983, then went to the BenVrackie/Ocean BenLoyal and one other offshore until 1990. Came ahore to work as a service engineer on propulsion systems for the next 16 years. Currently working down in West Africa as an Operations Superintendent with Lamnalco. Bumped into Tim Gendle in Malabo the other month, he's still the same.

Richard Dooley

George Simpson
6th June 2009, 11:03
Hi gents I was only on 4 Ben boats as a kid and now I am a big kid! Anyway just to follow up on where many are now amacneil said many went to and still work with Stena Drilling. Tom Kennedy, Iain Fraser, Peter Bathgate, Jimmie Watt (passed away about 3yrs ago) Mike Woods the list goes on must be about 40 of them there a couple I still see and hear from. On my own front I went from EDH and ended up as personnel manager at stena drilling. My Dad was in Benline back in the 60's a bosun Ian Simpson a chareter never sober that I can remeber I must take after him lol I'm now a retired drunk. Only a couple of things I miss in life, 1. the sea. 2. the drink:-) Oh well thats life.

Take care.

Derek Dunn
7th June 2009, 09:08
Hi Guys,
Just came on to the site recently and seeing a lot of the old names brings back some, a lot, of happy memories. Sailed with Ben Line from 1976 to 1983, then went to the BenVrackie/Ocean BenLoyal and one other offshore until 1990. Came ahore to work as a service engineer on propulsion systems for the next 16 years. Currently working down in West Africa as an Operations Superintendent with Lamnalco. Bumped into Tim Gendle in Malabo the other month, he's still the same.

Richard Dooley

Hi Ricky, the old Ben Line men are coming out of the woodwork thick and fast. Good to see your name amongst them. I think we sailed together on either the Dearg or the Hunter, can't remember which.
Regards,
Derek Dunn.

Ricky Dooley
7th June 2009, 18:36
Hi Derek,
Good to hear from you, I think it was most likely the Hunter as I never sailed on the Dearg. That must have been about 1980, joined the vessel up in Sullom Voe.
Did you ever sail on the Doran in 1976?

All the best,

Ricky Dooley

Derek Dunn
8th June 2009, 19:09
Hi Derek,
Good to hear from you, I think it was most likely the Hunter as I never sailed on the Dearg. That must have been about 1980, joined the vessel up in Sullom Voe.
Did you ever sail on the Doran in 1976?

All the best,

Ricky Dooley

Hi Ricky, you are quite right it was the Hunter. I sailed as 3rd in 1980 then went back 2nd after I got my ticket. She was a good ship which I enjoyed. (did we sail together when I had my wife with me?)
Did you ever sail with a Steve Jack? I spoke to him on the phone last week by pure chance.
In 1976 I was sailing on the Albanach, I did 2 trips there, the second one was the scrapping run to Korea. Was that the trip on the Doran when she hit the hurricane?
Do you still stay in Edinburgh? I am over in Dollar, have been for 20 years now.

Derek.

Ricky Dooley
8th June 2009, 22:49
Hi Ricky, you are quite right it was the Hunter. I sailed as 3rd in 1980 then went back 2nd after I got my ticket. She was a good ship which I enjoyed. (did we sail together when I had my wife with me?)
Did you ever sail with a Steve Jack? I spoke to him on the phone last week by pure chance.
In 1976 I was sailing on the Albanach, I did 2 trips there, the second one was the scrapping run to Korea. Was that the trip on the Doran when she hit the hurricane?
Do you still stay in Edinburgh? I am over in Dollar, have been for 20 years now.

Derek.

Good day Derek,
Yes, I remember you're wife being there at christmas on the Hunter. I remember we had a rather heated discussion about the proper way to iron a uniform shirt!!! It was a good day though!
I did the coast on the Doran when I started in '76, then a coast/dry docking on the Arty, paid off in Lavorno. I then got sent to the Warrior for the maiden voyage, the only junior engineer until we got to Bonny. A guy called Franny from Falkirk joined offshore Nigeria. Great! Somebody to help me gang up to the seniors!!
Did the next three trips on the Lawers and then a trip on the Stac. Went to do my part A, then got sent to the Ben Ocean Typhoon to do a rig move. Came of that to the Vorlich, back to get my 2nds. Then in their infinite wisdom I got sent back to the Typhoon again, another long story!
I'm sure that's when I ended up on the Hunter, then to the Chemi's for a couple of trips, CoE for a six monther, hated that vessel. Back to the chemi's and when I left in '83, I went offshore to the BenVrackie. Had a spell of 7 years there and left in 1990 to work with Ulstein UK at Dalgety Bay. Only thing was that I travelled for the next 16 years as Service Engineer for Ulstein and then McCalls (agents for Lips). Thoroughly enjoyed it though. Gained a lot of experience that I would'n't have got at sea!
Then in 2006 I got made an offer I could'n't refuse with Lamnalco in West Africa. Been with them as Operations Superintendent since Jan 07.
Just about to leave Douala for my leave on Friday, then return to Port Harcourt in July. That should be interesting!

Anyway, I'm going to have to get the discharge book out and the old photos and try to remember the names! There certainly were a few characters.

All the best,
Ricky.

P.S. I still live in South Queensferry, been here for 20 years as well. Mind you I grew up here, but Ann knows more people here than I do!

Tricks
8th July 2009, 19:39
Hi all,

Stumbled across this site today and thougt I would say hello to all those I sailed with. Reading through some of the threads here I recognise quite a few names, but as to where and when....my memory fails me.

I joined BL as cadet in 1976 and was made redundant in 1986 as 2nd Mate. I still have my discharge book so will have to try and remember some more.

Regards to all.

Phil Trickey

fitlike
9th July 2009, 21:02
fit like

I joined Ben Line as deck boy from Gravesend training school in 1975 to 1979 then went to P&O till 1981 then went to North Sea logistics supply/anchor boats, 1983 I got a job offshore on the rigs still there and talking about the good time in the far east.

Eric Cardno fae the Broch

kenmack
26th August 2009, 11:59
It's some time since I looked on these web sites but good to see you are still active. I'm currently in Gdansk looking after some rig repairs. There are a few Teekay ships around. I'll be here most of the time until late October. Regards, Ken Mack

I was among the first batch made redundant in 1981,then like many others went 'foreign flag', initially with Sanko Line and later with other companies.Currently in Teekay and still sailing,although the novelty has certainly worn off after 36years!
Now on new generation LNG vessels that have come into service within the last six months.
Have come across a couple of old Ben Line men in Teekay, Mike Crooks C/E, is still sailing but like us all, rapidly approaching retirement.Davey Wickens was here as was Stan Heron,now both retired some years ago.
Still have happy memories of the early days with Ben Line,although had my eyes opened when I joined my first 'foreign ship'...even had my own toilet!!

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Barford
31st August 2009, 15:18
Good to hear from you too Ken, I have fond memories of the daft nights on Atlantic II ! But that's about all I miss from then.
Just now, on board "Al-Huwaila" LNG ship I've been attached to the last year. Currently loading in Ras Laffan (Qatar) for the Isle of Grain, but I'll be off before she gets there.
Should be home around the 20th, October and for Christmas.
All the best,
Paul

BRIAN WESTGARTH
29th September 2009, 18:53
Hello Stuart,
A name from the past. Sailed with yourself and a few time including the Benalder drydock trip in 1990 when your wife done the voyage.
Know of the whereabouts of a couple of our ex-shipmates:
Myself and Gordon McKinnon are Cheifs on the tugs at the BP Hound Point terminal on the Forth.
Two of the Forth Pilots are Gordon Blakey and Ian Walker.
Andy Rendal, who was Ch/Off on that drydock trip is an MCA surveyor, he was working out of the Edinburgh office but the last time I spoke to him he thought he may be getting moved.
Willy Campbell - he was a chemy tanker chief who done trip(s) on the box boats for a while is a Lloyds surveyor who I see quite frequently.

I'm sure there are others, I'll put my mind to it when I've not had so much wine.
Any back to work tomorrow for 2 weeks so have to go and pack my bag

O' the best
John McAtear - Ex 2nd Engineer

Next time you meet Willy Campbell, Please pass on good wishes from Brian Westgarth, Willy English , Harry Velon , & Tom Foster (Richardson) we still meet for a Curry Night occasionly
Cheers, Brian Westgarth

Derek Dunn
30th September 2009, 21:43
Hi Brian, we never met but I think our path's did cross somewhere during the '70's.
Please give my best to Willy English and tell him I still get a laugh about the "windy lights" on the Grey Hunter.
I am a pressure vessel surveyor with an insurance company and I work occasionally at Rosyth dockyard. Do you ever come in to Rosyth?

Regards,
Derek Dunn.

Rab Thomson
28th October 2009, 22:39
Hello Davy,
You probably dont remember me but I sailed with you on the Benstac.
All the Best
Rab Thomson (ex 3rd Eng.)

Rab Thomson
28th October 2009, 22:42
Next time you meet Willy Campbell, Please pass on good wishes from Brian Westgarth, Willy English , Harry Velon , & Tom Foster (Richardson) we still meet for a Curry Night occasionly
Cheers, Brian Westgarth

Hello Brian,
Just a quick hello to wish you all the best.
Rab Thomson
ex 3rd eng. chemical tankers

Paul Barford
29th October 2009, 13:08
Cheers, Brian Westgarth

Hi Brian !
keep seeing your name popping up on various sites and never got around to dropping you a line.See your on the 'north side' now.
I'm still sailing, but getting tired of it, although there are some good points-still. Just arrived home after three months at anchor off Fujairah on a fully loaded LNG ship-not as boring as you would think.
Anyway, all the best.
Paul (Thumb)

ian keyl
6th November 2009, 12:48
HI Brian,
I think we sailed on the benavon 1965 on the coast i was a raw cadet and i think you were second ? I remember you came from Teesside and i was living with relations at the time in Redcar . The otheroccasion we may have sailed together was possibly on the valla with Colin Richardson and David ?? from south shields he was also on the vall for some time. My cousin was also an engineer with Ben, David Maxwell. He is also ashoe now and living out his days in Aberdeen.
Good to hear you are still going Brian.

Does anyone remember the mate Big Duncan Mcgeghie he was a lad never heard of him for sometime.

I found out from friends re united the other day the whereabouts of Peter Anelli ,He lives in Angus and is an Instalation manager somewhere up north.I have mailed him but no reply sofar.

Come on lads lets have some more Ben stories, it feels like we have rung finished with engines ,wind her up and lets have some revs full away.

Rgds Ian.

cptpugwash
8th November 2009, 18:49
sailed with dougie walker on the vrachie also willy bolt as d/boy on the dearg

dowling
11th November 2009, 15:21
Hi Stuart,you have the same surname of a now deceased ex Ben Line bosun,Donald Polson from the village where i stay(East Linton)-any relation by any chance?

ian keyl
5th August 2010, 22:55
This is just an add on about some of the old Ben salts who were with company but were domicile in the far east.

I havr found Yip Nai Kong who was from Port Swettenham Malaysia Yip Left Ben early 70's when he got his masters and worked in Malaysia for several years , I have found him in Melbourne as managing Director for Regional Container Lines. RCL is a very successful Thailand company which started out feedering around Asia and has now become a very renown shipping line all over the pacific basin. I think Yip has ben in Aus for about twenty years.

I have also found more info on Jimmy M Anggang he is captain and pilot in Labuan. On the internet he is mentioned as being a millionaire who has been very helpful to Malaysian sportmen in sponsering them for schoolarships around the world.

Both will ready to come up for retirement soon ,i have not been able to raise any signals from Jimmy hopefully soon we will contact him.

all for now.
Ian

RHL
9th August 2010, 14:05
This is just an add on about some of the old Ben salts who were with company but were domicile in the far east.

I havr found Yip Nai Kong who was from Port Swettenham Malaysia Yip Left Ben early 70's when he got his masters and worked in Malaysia for several years , I have found him in Melbourne as managing Director for Regional Container Lines. RCL is a very successful Thailand company which started out feedering around Asia and has now become a very renown shipping line all over the pacific basin. I think Yip has ben in Aus for about twenty years.

I have also found more info on Jimmy M Anggang he is captain and pilot in Labuan. On the internet he is mentioned as being a millionaire who has been very helpful to Malaysian sportmen in sponsering them for schoolarships around the world.

Both will ready to come up for retirement soon ,i have not been able to raise any signals from Jimmy hopefully soon we will contact him.

all for now.
Ian
Hello Ian,
Sailed with Yip on the Lomond when we were both cadets in 65 & 66.
Left Ben Line in 73 and ended up as a lecturer at GCNS. We met briefly in late 68 on the Dearg for a coast. The thing that I remember about you was this wonderful story you told the manager of the club we were trying to get into about your cousin owning a night club in London so we could get front seats at the club in Middlesborough!!
Cheers
Robin Lewis

Hugh Ferguson
9th August 2010, 15:57
The great mystery, to my mind, is what does everyone do this day and age! Not so much, where have they gone.
During my life-time the population of these islands has increased by some ten million. During that same period hundreds of thousands of jobs in industries such as manufacturing, mining, the dock-lands, the Merchant Service-just to name a few-have disappeared forever.
Despite that happening people continue to pour into this country in their thousands. I was chatting, just recently, to a visitor who lives on the Northern edge of London. He told me he had been sitting in his car in a public car-park when a mini-bus drove in and disgorged its passengers who were then greeted by the occupants of a couple of cars containing those who evidently expected the newcomers.
Then, said my friend, began the ethnic music, blaring out of one of the cars, and all of these guys were dancing around to it. I asked my friend what he thought was going on. Oh! he said, quite casually, just another load of "illegals" who would have been dropped off in Epping Forest during the night meeting up with their friends and relatives.
The politicians go on about getting people back to work. May I ask, "what work"? When, at a time even motor cars are virtually built by robots, where is this so-called work, and what the hell are all of these millions going to do in a country that is already very, very un-self-sufficient in some of the basics, such as food and even electricity let alone roads, railways and lots of other infrastucture. It's frightening.

ian keyl
10th August 2010, 01:19
Hi Robin,
Yes I was on the Dearg as third mate, early Nov to mid Dec 68 Morrison was old man and I am afraid I cannot remember anyone else, I do recall comming across a mate who had come into ben from some other company but had also been mate/ch/off on the Sir Malcolm Millar.
I can remember at various times going up to the Teesside clubs in Stockton, "Titos", "Fiesta" Norton, "Contessa" and "Marimba" in Middlesbrough All of these were owned by the Bailey organisation who aslo has a club in Sunderland and a few in Newcastle, Saudi Shields .
There was also the South Bank Sporting club which was not in such a pleasant place but still had top class acts.
I dont remember which club I was trying to blag our way into but I do remember entrance was between 3-7and you also had to pay a membership on big star nights of 21/- (one gunea) .

When I was at pre-sea at Saudi we would blag our try to into the Beach Club and one by the Town Hall it was down stairs under a shop where the Animals started off and played there regular.

The question is Robin did we sucseed in getting into the club and was it a good night (might George Bland 2nd engr and some of the ginger beers been with us that night) Teesside and tynside talant was always way ahead of anywhere esle in the 60's .

For all those Ben lads who visited Middlesbrough be it in the town berth up by the station , Dents Wharfe on the river passed the Transporter Bridge then it would be up town or the Jungle pub next to the Old HM Customs house, I f you were down river at Lackenby Dock or Smiths then it could have been the Junction Pub at South Bank, which was very dodgy or some other hell holes in Cargo Fleet ,if not then it was a fast black up town to any of the above.

Well Robin give me a clue.
Rgds Ian

RHL
10th August 2010, 11:08
Hi Robin,
Yes I was on the Dearg as third mate, early Nov to mid Dec 68 Morrison was old man and I am afraid I cannot remember anyone else, I do recall comming across a mate who had come into ben from some other company but had also been mate/ch/off on the Sir Malcolm Millar.
I can remember at various times going up to the Teesside clubs in Stockton, "Titos", "Fiesta" Norton, "Contessa" and "Marimba" in Middlesbrough All of these were owned by the Bailey organisation who aslo has a club in Sunderland and a few in Newcastle, Saudi Shields .
There was also the South Bank Sporting club which was not in such a pleasant place but still had top class acts.
I dont remember which club I was trying to blag our way into but I do remember entrance was between 3-7and you also had to pay a membership on big star nights of 21/- (one gunea) .

When I was at pre-sea at Saudi we would blag our try to into the Beach Club and one by the Town Hall it was down stairs under a shop where the Animals started off and played there regular.

The question is Robin did we sucseed in getting into the club and was it a good night (might George Bland 2nd engr and some of the ginger beers been with us that night) Teesside and tynside talant was always way ahead of anywhere esle in the 60's .

For all those Ben lads who visited Middlesbrough be it in the town berth up by the station , Dents Wharfe on the river passed the Transporter Bridge then it would be up town or the Jungle pub next to the Old HM Customs house, I f you were down river at Lackenby Dock or Smiths then it could have been the Junction Pub at South Bank, which was very dodgy or some other hell holes in Cargo Fleet ,if not then it was a fast black up town to any of the above.

Well Robin give me a clue.
Rgds Ian
Hi Ian,
Yes, your gift with words succeeded in having us sit up front! You have a better memory for names, cant remember who was in our group that night, about 5 or 6 of us, those were the days with no night shifts or weekend work not like today's 24/7 work sked. Saw in an earlier message by by yourself where you mentioned Mike Duffin, were you able to trace him?

Cheers

Robin

Paul Barford
28th August 2010, 20:10
Getting back to the original meaning of this string, would be interesting to see just how many people are actually still sailing, or involved in the marine industry now. A simple list of people and numbers, because from what can be seen, they must be dwindling now judging by the number of posts submitted. Come on! where is everyone?!

Ali Bain
12th September 2010, 13:30
Paul, Quite agree with you, at times I think there is just the two or three of us left. For the record I am still working as Chief mechanic in the Brae Field and hopefully will be for a few years yet. What about yourself? Think Derek Dunn is still going strong as well as I was notified of his new e-mail a couple of days ago. There must be some more still paying taxes..!!!
Ali. Bain.

Paul Barford
14th September 2010, 12:47
Hi Ali,
currently just passing Gibraltar on the LNG/C "Al-Huwaila". been on this vessel since new building two years ago. She's a Qflex type membrane ship, twin screw and 217,000m3 cargo capacity.
Been working for Teekay for the past 18 years after various companies. This ship is a joint venture between Teekay and Ras-Gas of Qatar and is one of four we have of this size.
Life is different these days, would rather the simple life on a Ben Line steamer!!
All thee best,
Paul(Pint)

Ali Bain
14th September 2010, 15:35
Paul,
Good to hear from you and hear that someone is still clocking up the sea miles. I think you followed me on a few of the Ben boats if my now failing memory serves me right. I know you did on the 'Lomond, she was the happiest ship I sailed on, then perhaps the 'Attow and the 'Vrackie. Think you were on the 'Nevis or the Rinnes, heard so many stories about them but never managed to get on them.Still working in the North sea and due home for two weeks leave this coming Friday, got five years to go and then it will be time to hang up the sea boots and wring the socks out one last time. Still think we were a very lucky generation even if it was just the last five or so years of the old steamers we saw, it was worth it.
Regards-Ali. Bain.
Hi Ali,
currently just passing Gibraltar on the LNG/C "Al-Huwaila". been on this vessel since new building two years ago. She's a Qflex type membrane ship, twin screw and 217,000m3 cargo capacity.
Been working for Teekay for the past 18 years after various companies. This ship is a joint venture between Teekay and Ras-Gas of Qatar and is one of four we have of this size.
Life is different these days, would rather the simple life on a Ben Line steamer!!
All thee best,
Paul(Pint)

tam fairweather
14th September 2010, 18:15
was she build in Samsung ,Korea??.I think she was there while i was standing by the Drillmax.
Heard last month that Tony whitehead and Stuart Russell have both retired.Four more years for me.
In sunny Bergen on a vibration course this week,back to Rio next week
cheers Tam

Paul Barford
14th September 2010, 19:34
Paul,
Good to hear from you and hear that someone is still clocking up the sea miles. I think you followed me on a few of the Ben boats if my now failing memory serves me right. I know you did on the 'Lomond, she was the happiest ship I sailed on, then perhaps the 'Attow and the 'Vrackie. Think you were on the 'Nevis or the Rinnes, heard so many stories about them but never managed to get on them.Still working in the North sea and due home for two weeks leave this coming Friday, got five years to go and then it will be time to hang up the sea boots and wring the socks out one last time. Still think we were a very lucky generation even if it was just the last five or so years of the old steamers we saw, it was worth it.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

Yes, Ali, followed you around on all those ships, started on the' Nevis, in those days, with Frank Smith3/E, Kenny Scobey 2/E, Ray chapman 1/Elec, George Glendinning 5/E, to name a few. I've just turned 58 and four years to go, although can go to 65! my ****! Another couple of years will be enough although shore jobs on offer at the moment.
Yes I agree, we were luck and no way would I contemplate starting in this life now. Now sailing with Russians,Croats, Poles and Indians,now it's only money. When I tell them I would have paid to do the job in the begining they think I'm very strange! Maybe I am!!!
All the best.
Paul

Paul Barford
14th September 2010, 19:39
Aye Tam, that she was. I joined the first time just after she left the yard and didn't get to enjoy the fun the guys there had.Some were there for six months, but hadn't a clue about the ship later on.Too much time partying in the bars around the yard...can't blame them, just jealous. So, your off to Rio ? Last time I was down there was in Tramandia....only a few years ago and have now just recovered!
All the best,
Paul

john fraser
15th September 2010, 08:57
was she build in Samsung ,Korea??.I think she was there while i was standing by the Drillmax.
Heard last month that Tony whitehead and Stuart Russell have both retired.Four more years for me.
In sunny Bergen on a vibration course this week,back to Rio next week
cheers Tam
Four years to go Tam.It only seems a couple of years ago that you were trying to convince Rab Traill Ch/Eng that because of your religion you needed Sunday morning in port off to go ashore.Maybe your company has a list of names of ex Ben Line crew members as there is still bound to be a few.Mind you we forget how the years roll on and people reach retirement age.I get people saying to me their OIM or Barge Master was asking for me ,only to remember them as a cadet or junior officer.

ian keyl
15th September 2010, 09:16
John is right ,there must still be plenty of ex Ben men out there including two women who sailed with Ben. Some of you younger guys must come across them in your slumber travels around the globe and still gainfully employed.

Encourage them to join the site and give us thier stories and for them to meet up with lost mates ,i have recently found two ex Ben collegues and i have tried to encourage them to join . Mike Hudson ch/elec; resides in Duns and has run an electrical buisness for a number of years,Mike used to live in Inverkething . I have sasked him to join , the other excollegue is "Dollar" John Ferguson from Uplamoor and who went Dollar Academy , John has just retired as senior master from Stena Line where he was master of the Voyager.

I have asked him , now he is on shore (maybe only short period befoore he wets his feet again??) to find his spare time and give us abit of his nostalgia.

We need to encourage more to join then we will find out," where they are now".

Regards Ian.

ian keyl
4th November 2010, 14:46
Well via two collegues on the SN site I have managed to locate another ex Ben man .
He left Ben some 35 years ago and has been set up in Houston, he was originally from Eyemouth and was third mate in Ben about same time as myself his name was John Lindsay (had nickname of jockey Lindsay) I wonder why.
I have had an email from John and he is working for Ports of America in Houston, at this stage I am not sure how long he has been there or his position in the organisation but we will soon have lift off as Houston says.
I have informed him of the site so hopefully we will get an injection of fresh sea water to keep us going.
Are we all stoking the fires for winter as we seem to be very low on boiler pressure in this company ??.

well keep her steady.

Ian.

john fraser
4th November 2010, 16:31
Well via two collegues on the SN site I have managed to locate another ex Ben man .
He left Ben some 35 years ago and has been set up in Houston, he was originally from Eyemouth and was third mate in Ben about same time as myself his name was John Lindsay (had nickname of jockey Lindsay) I wonder why.
I have had an email from John and he is working for Ports of America in Houston, at this stage I am not sure how long he has been there or his position in the organisation but we will soon have lift off as Houston says.
I have informed him of the site so hopefully we will get an injection of fresh sea water to keep us going.
Are we all stoking the fires for winter as we seem to be very low on boiler pressure in this company ??.

well keep her steady.

Ian.
I sailed with John on the chemical tanker."Benvenue".He left to go to Rowbothams who were recruiting at that time.Then later I heard he had been appointed to a job in the States.I think it was the parent company of Rowbothams. Ingram Corp. Before retiring I flew into Houston,regularly for 5-6 years,maybe passed him in transit or sat beside him in a bar there.

Black Sea Kid
9th November 2010, 20:12
I sailed with John on the chemical tanker."Benvenue".He left to go to Rowbothams who were recruiting at that time.Then later I heard he had been appointed to a job in the States.I think it was the parent company of Rowbothams. Ingram Corp. Before retiring I flew into Houston,regularly for 5-6 years,maybe passed him in transit or sat beside him in a bar there.

Hi John

If my memory serves me correct, it was on the BENVENUE that I first met you when sailing with John Linsey (as Mate) and me as Second Mate. Forget the two Masters we had (Jimmy Waterson maybe and another whos name has left me). A long long time ago as my Daughter just celebrated her birthday on the 5th November, I was on the Venue somwhere off Eastbourne, enroute to Swansea when I got the news.

By the way, who was the other Cook/Steward on the Venue whos wig had to be "nailed on" to stop it falling in the soup ???

Anyway, Ian, give my best regards to John when you are next in contact with him.

Kind regards
John Holmes

john fraser
9th November 2010, 20:54
Hi John

If my memory serves me correct, it was on the BENVENUE that I first met you when sailing with John Linsey (as Mate) and me as Second Mate. Forget the two Masters we had (Jimmy Waterson maybe and another whos name has left me). A long long time ago as my Daughter just celebrated her birthday on the 5th November, I was on the Venue somwhere off Eastbourne, enroute to Swansea when I got the news.

By the way, who was the other Cook/Steward on the Venue whos wig had to be "nailed on" to stop it falling in the soup ???

Anyway, Ian, give my best regards to John when you are next in contact with him.

Kind regards
John Holmes

Hi John.
Jimmy Milne was the other skipper.Jimmy Walterson and him had competitions to see who could wreck the messroom in bad weather.I reckoned.Your memory failing at your age Holmsie.it was only about 1974 or so.There was the two Jimmys as skippers. John Lindsay.Stewart Cruikshanks.as mates. yourself and Ian Findlay from Haddington(?)Willie Gilfillan Chief.Davie Waugh .Dan Mckenzie.Donald Polson.etc. The other cook was Davie Yates, from Aberdeen.went to see if Jimmy Milne had double sided tape for the wig and Jimmy suggested a 6 inch nail.Did the wig not go overboard in the channel and Jimmy turned round to fish it out the water.Countless stories were told about the wig.How Davie took the wig off at night and when he got called in the morning at 0530 lent out the bunk and scratched the wig. Great days.
Rgds
John

r

EBenarty
15th November 2010, 22:01
John,
I sailed with John (Jocky) Lindsay on the Bencairn on his first trip as Mate. Sexy Rexie-Master ,Jimmy Hamilton C/O and (Champagne) Willie Bennet 3rd. Mate.

John David Mair
22nd December 2010, 04:42
Good to hear from all the ex Ben Line blokes, I joined my first,the heavy lifter
Benalbanach in December 1947 then was on a couple of the Liberty boats, Bendoran and Benvrackie then Bencruachan (1948 version)and last one was Benvorlich, went back to Leith Nautical for my "Sparks" Ticket and then on various Marconi ships from BTC, Bank, Glenns of Glasgow, BI, Port Line and Shaw Savills then came to Australia with AWA, redundant in 1992 along with all other Sparks and now retired in Adelaide..Any spare heavy rain would be
muchly appreciated down this way thanks.
Salaams Ern Barrett
G'day Ernie,
We met years ago around Port Kembla. I was lucky to do a relieving job on the Benalbanach in April/May 1963, joined in Liverpool, went round to Immingham and then London before the permanent came back. Mad three weeks or so. Then I went to Bankline, what a difference.

Waighty
1st March 2011, 23:34
Are there any of you old Ben salts out there who may know the where abouts of the following.

Allister MacCulloch 2nd mate on coast from edinburgh(father worked in Forsyths gents out fitters on Princes st oppJenners.) 1968/9
Peter Anelli 3rd mate on voyage Benhope from edinburgh1968.
Mike Duffin 2nd mate came over from Ellerman when we took over five ships on coast Valla,Wyvis 1967/8 came from norfolk or down south.
John Groat cadet and 3 rd mate up for ticket same time from Orkney used to play fiddle in purple Onion in Edinburgh last sawhim at ben Office reunion 2/3 years ago at fettes rugby club.
Allister Rankin 2nd mate from Argyle i think on coast together 68/69.
Five good friends great for a laugh and ships parties any info will be gratefull.

Rgds Ian.

John Groat was Assistant Harbour Master with me at Grangemouth in 2002-2004; I believe like me he's now retired and stays in Edinburgh.

Waighty
1st March 2011, 23:39

all for now.
Ian

Sailed with Jimmy on Benvannoch 1966 to 1968 when we were both cadets - a very good example of physical fitness; certainly put me to shame. He use to talk about his first few hours in Ben Line - joined the Benarmin I think it was and straight down to the chain locker to stow cable; said he wondered what he'd let himself in for!

the_vietnam_bear
27th April 2011, 12:13
Anyone remember Tom Freer, chief engineer on the BenOdeco "Ocean Alliance in Scott Lithgows 1982 to 1986, also Willie Johnston and ? Marshall electricians

John Farrell
27th April 2011, 13:48
Anyone remember Tom Freer, chief engineer on the BenOdeco "Ocean Alliance in Scott Lithgows 1982 to 1986, also Willie Johnston and ? Marshall electricians

Remember Tom Freer very well!

john fraser
27th April 2011, 15:37

Davie Marshall

Ben Boat Jim
10th May 2011, 22:45
I started my somewhat colourful and chequered career in May 1956 as "PEGGY" on the heavy lift Benalbanach (built 1946), followed by the Benvrackie, then two trips on the "Macdhui",

Names that spring to mind are Capt. Arclay, Tommy Barr ist mate Jackie Callander bosun, the "beast' bosun and many more who's surnames I have forgotten.

Spartan conditions on the Ben boats of that era, were overshadowed by the ports of call....eg., 6weeks round the Philippine coast loading copra, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, to name but a few.. but oh such memories.

Leaving the MN after 7 years I landed in Kiwi where I live now. Went on the Kiwi coast for 38 years, came ashore got bored with retirement, and shipped out on Aussie bulk carriers, where to date am on leave off the River Embley, hauling beauxite ore from Weipa to Gladstone Queensland.

After 48 years, my legs are starting to give problems, as steel decks are unforgiving to 71 year old mariners and shortly will be "swallowing the anchor" for good

I wish to convey my warmest regards to all you ex Ben boat men, a hard driving company but a fair one in my estimation.

All the very best.....Jimmy Morrison....ex Buckie now Mt.Maunganui NZ

jeem44
3rd March 2012, 20:31
hi there,just thought i'd let you know andy rendle is harbourmaster of dundee,kirkaldy and methil ports and a couple of ex benline men are dundee pilots simon campbell and dave blair all good lads!

John Walters
4th March 2012, 15:53
Hey Stuart,

You will recall us spending time on the box boats before I left after 10 years starting on the Benstac in 1990, moving to bulk carriers, chemical tankers until there was just the Benalder, Benavon and C. of E. left. I moved across to The cable ships with Cable & Wireless Marine and I am still here. I am office bound, living in Singapore and company has been renamed Global Marine.

Great to hear there's people remember the ships. The logo only kept alive now by their shipping agency business. They still produce those calendars with Scottish mountains though...

Good luck to all.

Dave Woods
4th March 2012, 18:25
Hey Stuart,

You will recall us spending time on the box boats before I left after 10 years starting on the Benstac in 1990, moving to bulk carriers, chemical tankers until there was just the Benalder, Benavon and C. of E. left. I moved across to The cable ships with Cable & Wireless Marine and I am still here. I am office bound, living in Singapore and company has been renamed Global Marine.

Great to hear there's people remember the ships. The logo only kept alive now by their shipping agency business. They still produce those calendars with Scottish mountains though...

Good luck to all.

Splash,

Greetings and welcome to the SN site.

Best regards

kaypink
6th August 2012, 18:10

Tom is my dad and he is doing great at 70 years old and he only stopped sailing 6months ago he is on facebook as Thomas Freer

Derek Dunn
7th August 2012, 22:50
Hello, I did a coast with your Dad on the 'Lomond in about 1974. Please pass on my best wishes. I too am on Facebook. Regards, Derek Dunn.

kaypink
8th August 2012, 08:11
I will do derek, i spoke to dad yesterday and gave him the web addy of this site.

chengnomore
9th August 2012, 00:48
Paul, Quite agree with you, at times I think there is just the two or three of us left. For the record I am still working as Chief mechanic in the Brae Field and hopefully will be for a few years yet. What about yourself? Think Derek Dunn is still going strong as well as I was notified of his new e-mail a couple of days ago. There must be some more still paying taxes..!!!
Ali. Bain.

Is that you Boz? Last time I saw u was on the Ocean Alliance a 100 years ago.
Tom Freer

Paul Braxton
12th August 2012, 01:26
Don't know where everyone went to, but I sure enjoyed my time with Ben, on "Benhope" only, I'm afraid, with Capt. Ralph Cowie (what a character).

I managed to get hold of a brand new Ben Line house flag in 1980, when two were sent out to the ship by mistake. The 3/0 gave me the second one and I'm still flying it today. Hangs outside in all weathers. Goes up when I get up in the morning and comes down at dusk! A bit like Buck Pal., it only flies when I'm 'in residence'. Strange but true.

Apart from a little bit of sunlight fading and one or two little holes in the top lining, it's as good as new. They knew how to make flags in those days. Still waiting for a visitor to ask about it, but nobody ever does. I don't think they even notice it, despite it being 'in their faces' as it were. Landlubbers! It's funny, but the simple daily ritual of hoisting and lowering always takes me back to those far off days...

Ali Bain
13th August 2012, 22:57
Aye Tom, the one and only, still working offshore. We did a few sea miles together, still got a couple of years left in the shifter yet..!!!
Boz.

Ian McEwan2
20th February 2014, 16:50
Hello I am Ian McEwan, originally from Leith, I was in the merchant navy from 1964 until 1974 when I came ashore in the Channel Islands I would like some information about my dad Tam McEwan who was a bosun with the Benline. Does anyone remember him? I Joined the Company as a peggy on the Bendoran in in 1964 sailed on Benarty Benmacdhui and Benvorlich before spreading my wings and going on the pool. I eventually came ashore after marrying and settling in the Channel Islands.