Where is this - MV Wellpark Deck Cadets 1980-82, or so?

jasmacpm
24th August 2008, 22:20
Hi,
wonder if any eagle eyed seafarers can tell me where this is? I think it may be in Taiwan, but I can't remember. It was taken whilst on a shore trip with fellow Denholm's deck cadets, from the MV Wellpark, sometime between 80-82, or so?

If you look closely (very!), you will see some of the cadets, standing behind some of the smaller statues, but it is very difficult to recognise anyone.

Thanks for looking,

Jimmy.

non descript
24th August 2008, 22:43
I think he is 118' high and lives in Kaohsiung (Thumb) - The cadets are outnumbered by about 480 smallish Buddha statues standing at the base.

non descript
26th August 2008, 22:07
To be wholly accurate this is Fuguang (Buddha's Aureola) Mountain and it is in the north-east area of Dashu Town, Kaohsiung County in Taiwan. It is known as the "Budhist Capital in south Taiwan" and its founder, Great Master Xing Yun, who was born in Yangzhou City, Jiangsu Province, and constructed Fuguang Mountain in Kaohsiung County in 1967. Some people misunderstand the figures and suggest it is 120 metres high, or even 400 metres high (which would be really scary (Jester) ) depending on where one starts counting. (Thumb)

jasmacpm
26th August 2008, 22:58
Thanks, Tonga,
will check up info about it on internet. Must admit it, bugged me a lot that I couldn't remember which country that it was in.
Have you been there yourself? You weren't in the Wellpark party, by chance?

Jimmy.

non descript
26th August 2008, 23:21
Thanks, Tonga,
will check up info about it on internet. Must admit it, bugged me a lot that I couldn't remember which country that it was in.
Have you been there yourself? You weren't in the Wellpark party, by chance?

Jimmy.

Jimmy, I have to confess to having been to Kaohsiung County but not the Buddah itself, which I only know about from Taiwanese friends. As for having moved in such exalted as the Wellpark and its Owners, I am afraid to say that I never strayed from the company that employed me at the tender age 16. They were kind enough to overlook my shortcomings and look after me far better than I deserved, so I stayed put.
(Thumb)
Mark

ps. I found a link about the Buddah located here (http://www.asia-planet.net/taiwan/kaohsiung.htm) .. but I do see that even this reports it (misguidedly) as 120 metres... instead of 120'

zein
21st December 2008, 22:24
I think I have one the very same in fact bloody loads of them. It was a shore trip in Kaohsiung whilst unloading grain from Durban. We went ashore on 11 October 1980. How's that for accuracy!!

jasmacpm
22nd December 2008, 23:27
I think I have one the very same in fact bloody loads of them. It was a shore trip in Kaohsiung whilst unloading grain from Durban. We went ashore on 11 October 1980. How's that for accuracy!!

Hello, Zein,

nice to see a fellow Wellparker aboard. Thanks for reply re statue. Can you recall if trip from Durban involved stopover in Singapore? I think I may have joined there? Did you see the game of football we played against a team of Taiwanese marines - they thumped us!
Do you have any pictures you can post? Were you a cadet, or other member of the team?
Didn't pick up your monicker from some of these Taiwanese lassies, did you?

Merry Christmas,

Jimmy.

zein
4th August 2009, 21:41
Hello, Zein,

nice to see a fellow Wellparker aboard. Thanks for reply re statue. Can you recall if trip from Durban involved stopover in Singapore? I think I may have joined there? Did you see the game of football we played against a team of Taiwanese marines - they thumped us!
Do you have any pictures you can post? Were you a cadet, or other member of the team?
Didn't pick up your monicker from some of these Taiwanese lassies, did you?

Merry Christmas,

Jimmy.
Jimmy,

Don't remember stopping at Singapore. Have loads of pics but they are all slides so nothing electronic. I got a pic of all the ships I sailed on from Fotoflite who fly the channel every day. If you quote the ships name and year you sailed on her they will send you whats available. I was a cadet from 1980 to 83 and sailed on 4 of the Diamond D's.

Zein