Crossed Flags

Bob Bush
26th August 2008, 13:50
Hi All
Anyone remember this publication. I have an intact 1971 May edition. Would be happy to pass on the current crew list of any ship featured therein. The memories. All NZSC ships in service at that time.

Rgds Bob

Edward D Smith
27th August 2008, 18:40
Hi Bob yes that would be good to see. I was on her from 6/10/70 till 3/8/71. She was a fine job. Regards Eddie Smith

Phil Saul
28th August 2008, 00:15
Hi All
Anyone remember this publication. I have an intact 1971 May edition. Would be happy to pass on the current crew list of any ship featured therein. The memories. All NZSC ships in service at that time.

Rgds Bob

Hi Bob,

I've also got a copy of the 1971 Crossed Flags.
It's got a few oily fingerprints on the cover as it was given to me by an ex NZSC refrigeration engineer who is also a member of the Chartered club that I'm General Manager of in Howick, Auckland. (small world)
I wrote the article featured on page 64 regarding my experiences when trapped in the Suez Canal in '67.
I was also in the Westmorland when the presentation was made to Chief Engineer Frank Kent on his retirement, which is featured on page 67.
Those crew lists sure come in handy for recalling the names of the guys I sailed with during my time with NZSC.

Regards Phil (Thumb)

BeerSailor
28th August 2008, 01:18
I have all of the issues between May 1966 (No.3) up to the last one, Sept 1971 (No. 14). Crossed Flags was known as one of the finest of shipping company house journals and and the P&O 'Wavelength' magazine was a piss poor substitute. The May 1966 edition lists 35 ships and this was down to 20 ships by May 1971. All editions have crew lists except the final Sept 71 edition. (but only officers listed before the Nov 1969 edition).
Brian

Edward D Smith
28th August 2008, 11:08
Hi Bob yes that would be good to see. I was on her from 6/10/70 till 3/8/71. She was a fine job. Regards Eddie Smith The vessel was OTAIO

Tom Haywood
29th August 2008, 00:05
Hi brian, yes I have most of them too, from the first issue. Think i have lost #9 in my travels.

slick
29th August 2008, 07:52
All,
As an Apprentice in Hain's in the 50s the ships were frequently on charter to Stricks and were required to fly the Strick's Houseflag.
The Houselag had to be flown on a "striker" I suppose to keep the flag clear of all rigging, did anyone else encounter this practice?
We were not infrequently reminded to ensure that the Strick's Houseflag was flown correctly and was clean, after charter the Houseflag was duly returned to the nearest Strick's ship.
Yours aye,
Slick

Christopherobin
29th August 2008, 09:59
Hi

Like Phil, I also wrote an article in "Crossed Flags" No 6 November 67'
"The rescue of the Tiki 111" on page 71. We were on our maiden voyage.
I also took some cine-film of the rescue, which was shown on TV in New Zealand, Oz, USA and the UK. The film of the rescue is on the end of my Blue Star Line dvd as an extra if you would like to see it.

Cheers

Chris

cubpilot
28th November 2008, 12:23
I too was on Tongariro on the maiden voyage when we picked up two men and a boy off a small boat. They had stolen the boat from Brisbane and ended up fighting with one man stabbing the other after they ran out of food.
At the time i was a engineer apprentice.
howard cox

Alex.chisholm
29th November 2008, 12:28
And I was also on the Tongariro's maiden voyage as Junior Third Mate. Harry Hynard (the mate) is picured in the Crossed Flags as part of the rescue. He was a fine seaman.

Alex. Chisholm.