Suez Canal 1967.

EMMESSTEE
1st July 2005, 00:24
Does anyone out there know which Port Line vessel was the last to get through the Suez Canal before the 1967 Arab/Israeli War closed the canal and trapped ships in the Great Bitter Lake?

"Port Invercargill" became trapped - I was Third Mate of "Port Alfred" homeward from Australia to the Continent/UK and we transitted May 16th 1967 but did any Port Line vessel transit between ourselves and the "Invercargill"?

--------------------

Mike.

mcgurggle
8th August 2005, 12:49
Port Wellington ??
McG (Pint)

Doug Rogers
9th August 2005, 03:45
Just realised, I was on a Trident tanker in the last north bound convoy to get through...was yours north or south bound??. The Egyptians were certain they were going to roll up the Israelis....the difference between thoughts and action!!.

robbo
9th August 2005, 14:35
A bit off the subject Doug, but did you ever come across a Bob Turnbull with Trident? He was down below and came from Dundee.
Robbo (Fly)

Doug Rogers
10th August 2005, 05:11
That name does ring a bell with me but I cant put it in context. Do you know what vessels he was on..........I only sailed Ellora and Ardlui deep sea but I did a number of dry dockings on Trident vessels...could be any of them!!.

billyboy
10th August 2005, 07:11
been trying to research the Sues Doug, got as far that it was built by aussies in order to get the pommy cricket team home quicker, lost the trail there Doug ...LOL

thunderd
10th August 2005, 07:26
OK William looks like you've joined the Aussie bashers club so you are now fair game LOL.....on your head be it.

Doug Rogers
10th August 2005, 08:35
been trying to research the Sues Doug, got as far that it was built by aussies in order to get the pommy cricket team home quicker, lost the trail there Doug ...LOL

Yep I think you have lost the trail there, if us Ozzies had done it we would have built the Panama canal as well so that we had two ways of bringing the Ashes home faster. lol.

flyer682
10th August 2005, 09:03
I expect to have to put up with (paticipate in) this cricket nonsense in the Mess Deck but you can't go polluting the Port Line forum with it too. There'll be no place to get any peace.

Exactly. Please keep it to the subject guys.

billyboy
10th August 2005, 12:02
Oopss sory guys, think i had a "sensual" moment there. off for medicine and a peek at the notice board now Byeeee.

billyboy
10th August 2005, 12:36
aussie basher, Me! heaven forbid, thought only the wingers did that mate.
Surrounded by great aussie mates here, they all say aussie the greatest,I agree because they are all BIG men! ...LOL

Terry Willcox
8th September 2005, 15:50
Hi. Tannoy Terry Calling, I spent 3 months on the Port Invercargill twice, in the Great Bitter Lakes while they were interned. Would like to hear from anyone that was there with me. I cannot think of the last Port Line ship that got through, ( many years ago )

Oz.
9th September 2005, 09:22
William, dont forget, the first Aussies were chosen by the best Judges in England!

tynevale
30th December 2005, 00:30
What is the Port Wellington?? for
Bob Blackwood

non descript
30th December 2005, 00:47
Tynevale, please forgive me for being "off-thread" but I did appreciate your response on the Port Jackon thread. Very good. (Applause)

mcgurggle
30th December 2005, 11:37
What is the Port Wellington?? for
Bob Blackwood
Since no-one has actually specified when the Canal closed, I am finding it hard to pinpoint where the Wellington was at the time. She sailed from Victoria Docks on 1st March 67 & paid off there on 19 Aug 67. She visited Mediterranean ports homeward bound...so how close was she to the actual closing of the Canal.?
I only asked ! (*))
McG

cor
31st December 2005, 19:43
I was on the MV Mataram of the Royal Rotterdam Lloyd and we passed suez on 3 june 1967 to Aqaba on the 4 june 1967 we must leave Aqaba in the evening because the war was breaking out aand a Polisch Vessel must be a shore.

Cor Boer

cor
31st December 2005, 19:46
I was on the MV Mataram of the Royal Rotterdam Lloyd and we passed suez on 3 june 1967 to Aqaba on the 4 june 1967 we must leave Aqaba in the evening because the war was breaking out aand a Polisch Vessel must be a shore.
I think while the war was breaking out the most of vessels where waiting outsite Port Said and Suez.

Cor Boer

Graham McMorine
6th January 2007, 15:32
Since no-one has actually specified when the Canal closed, I am finding it hard to pinpoint where the Wellington was at the time. She sailed from Victoria Docks on 1st March 67 & paid off there on 19 Aug 67. She visited Mediterranean ports homeward bound...so how close was she to the actual closing of the Canal.?
I only asked ! (*))
McG

Hi all,
The canal closed 6th June 67, I was there(Cloud) (Cloud)

masthead
19th May 2007, 12:29
Does anyone out there know which Port Line vessel was the last to get through the Suez Canal before the 1967 Arab/Israeli War closed the canal and trapped ships in the Great Bitter Lake?

"Port Invercargill" became trapped - I was Third Mate of "Port Alfred" homeward from Australia to the Continent/UK and we transitted May 16th 1967 but did any Port Line vessel transit between ourselves and the "Invercargill"?

--------------------

Mike.

Iwas on what i think was the last ship. IT was the port townsville we signed on jan 1967 and went out aussie vie suez ,and remember armed soldiers along the banks got back may 1967

Dave Spencer
26th May 2007, 12:24
I think the Port Townsville just got through a day or two before as we left Aussie just before the Port Invercargill

calmac
14th May 2008, 13:18
Hi. Tannoy Terry Calling, I spent 3 months on the Port Invercargill twice, in the Great Bitter Lakes while they were interned. Would like to hear from anyone that was there with me. I cannot think of the last Port Line ship that got through, ( many years ago )

I recall when i was on the ACT2 a George Sutherland said that he was on the Port Invercargill in the Lakes The bosun on the ACT2 at the time was nicknamed scratchy I cant remember his proper name.He was also on the Port Invercargill at that time
Calum Macleod

FRANK CLARK
8th June 2010, 18:26
I think one of the last Port Ships to get through was the Port Lauceston her sister ship
regards
Frank Clark

dexter123
21st September 2010, 01:57
I think the port quebec was one of the last through but hey getting on now so could be bad memory it was my first ship and i was a cabin boy at the time

Somerton
22nd November 2010, 14:37
Hi Calmac.
Just seen your post . When I was on the Port Sydney ( March 1958) the bosun
on the round the land trip was scratchy Saunders. I dont know his first name. The bosun deep sea was Murdo Mc Donald from Stornoway.My time in Port Line was very good.
Regards.
Alex C .

Thomas Hinton
7th November 2011, 22:26

Hi Terry, I can remember my father Harry Hinton(chief chef) having a spell on the Port Invercargill in the Great Bitter Lakes while she was interned. I can remember him telling me about the missiles going over the top, and how some of the crewe made sailing boats and had racing competitions on the lake. Tom Hinton(Harry's son).