Passengers

japottinger
27th August 2008, 19:27
We took a lady passenger once out to Madras on Mainipur. She liked her grog, and favourite tipple was a half pint of gin topped up with water in a pint glass. She always seemed to be attired in an all enveloping goonie (she was quite plump) and her mode of sitting down was to back up to the settee at dead slow, tuck one leg under her and then at dead stop sit on it! She was travelling out to join her husband who was a big wheel with ICI there. We had to anchor off for a while so he was rowed out to our ship to greet her, and after much sloppy rejoicing and how much I missed you etc. etc. in the end after our noted Brocklebank hospitality both were legless, and we had to lower her into the small boat and jam her into the crook of the stern. His final reposte was this reunion has now just spoiled the best time I have ever had on my own here!
I would like it to be known that the above is never to be construed in any way as being disrepectful to anyone, she was great, welcome, and humorous company, and we never in any way betrayed that respect.

Tony Selman
11th September 2008, 14:43
On Matra in 1964 we carried the retiring (or retired) Company Secretary out to Colombo. He was pleasant enough but a bit staid and boring but his wife was much more interesting. I remember chatting to her on the deck alongside the midships hatch somewhere in the Med or Red Sea and asked her what she had done during her working life. It turned out she had been a simultaneous translator at the United Nations for many years. I then asked what languages she was fluent in and can remember her fascinating reply to this day. To be regarded as fluent at the UN (certainly in those days) you had to be able to translate from one language to another, neither of which was your mother tongue. I believe there was lower grading as well. It then turns out that she was fluent in eight languages and was a simultaneous translator in four of them. Amazingly she said she also spoke another ten or so languages which would be fluent by most people's standards but not according to the UN. Once you had mastered the three or four main languages the rest were easy she said - not to me they weren't. A fascinating and memorable lady. Don Macleod may remember her I think he was there on that trip.

Philthechill
14th September 2008, 07:53
Stupidly I never gave a thought to two passengers we had with us on "Mangla" as being really "passengers" as they integrated so well with us all I think we all thought they were crew!

Sir Norman and Lady June Tailyour were friends of Norman (?) Bates and he (Sir Norman) had just retired as C-in-C of the Royal Marines.

They were both absolutely lovely people and there were many invites to their cabin for the odd tincture or twelve!

They were guests-of-honour when we crossed the line as we weren't quite sure if we could have a Knight-of-the-Realm, and his Lady, suffer the indignities of the various atrocities we'd dreamt-up for the hapless few who were crossing-the-line for the first time! We needn't have worried, I'm sure, as they were such good sports they would have mucked-in with anything we'd asked them to partake in.

I can't remember why, now, but they transferred to another Brock-boat in, I think, Colombo. It may have been because they wanted to go to The States and we weren't going. We had been earmarked for The Gulf etc. but again, for reasons lost in the mists of time, I don't recall why there was a change in schedule.

Lovely, lovely people though and a great pleasure to have met them.

As a follow-up to this yarn about two people we carried as passengers. Charlie Drought, who was on "Mangla" on the voyage, told me that the Tailyour's son was a Royal Marine Officer involved in the rout of the Argentinians in The Falklands.

Unfortunately he never met-up with him, for obvious reasons, in The Falklands, but I believe he has met him at a Falklands Re-Union since. Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

bryanm
14th September 2008, 09:53
Hi Phil
I was one of the hapless few, remember it well
Still have my certificate signed by you (Neptune)
Bryan Miller

Philthechill
14th September 2008, 11:43
Bryan! Hi!

Do you remember the deck-cadet who I don't think was really cut-out for a life at sea?

He looked for all the world like a cherub with his curly-hair etc. He was absolutely terrified at the thoughts of having to go through the ceremony to such an extent that I exercised my authority and power as Neptune and made him a ward-of-court!

I'm sure he would have thrown-up with fear if he'd been subjected to the combined evils, which had been dreamt-up by my "Court", culminating in having to drink some of the concoction of black-draught and Guinness which had been fermenting on the monkey island all morning getting nicely warmed through for the ceremony.

I wonder what happened to him as I, personally, never, ever saw him again.

He probably turned-out to be a demon womaniser and finished-up jumping ship in some far-off "Paradise"!! Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

P.S. Hang onto that signature as it could be worth anything up to 50p!

japottinger
14th September 2008, 19:47
The marine Southby-Taiylour has written a couple of book on the Falklands, in fact in one of them he refers to having sailed all round the coast some time previously, hence he was able to give the Admiralty a lot of info. on the coast etc.

oglebilluk
15th September 2008, 19:52
The Brocks passengers I best remember were on a coastal on Maipura in July/ August 1962
We took I think 3 directors with their wives from Tilbury to Copenhagen and then on to Hamburg where they left us
Don't remember any names but we add an additional Chief Steward just to deal with catering. I've never eaten so well before nor since.
We had some silly load to discharge, 80 tons I think. Somehow we managed to stay about 3 days
Happy days!!!