Trying to find shipmates

chrishandel
29th August 2008, 20:09
Radio Officer who would like to catch up with anyone I sailed with:
British Grenadier 1972 - Skipper J R Scott
British Surveyor 1972-173 - Skipper J A Webster
British Statesman 1973 - Skipper A B C Brown / Seaman?
British Curlew 1974 - Skipper Stan Davies/ J Pinkney
British Hawthorn - Skipper R A Knight (only onboard for 1 month)
British Gannet 1974-1975 - Skipper C O Picken
British Promise - 1975 - Skipper J A P Farret
British Explorer - 1976 - Skipper R H Bell
British Pioneer - 1977 - 1980 - Skippers W Frost, H Brown, E Coates and others
British Poplar - 1980 - Skipper R waite
British Reliance - 1980 - Skipper J Wharrie
British Vine - 1981 - Skipper ?

DAVELECKIE
30th August 2008, 17:10
Chris
Sailed with you on the Pioneer.
Hope your keeping well.
Incidentally were you on the Pioneer when a ships side valve stub pipe fractured on our way up the West African coast and in spite of the engineers best efforts we had to head for Las Palmas for urgent repairs with ALL bilge pumps going non stop just to keep the bilges below the bottom plates in the engine room.
I paid off in Las Palmas with 3 or 4 others.

Dave Edworthy Leckie

Mick farmer
30th August 2008, 20:37
Chris

if you locate them I would like to know where

Cyril Picken Stan Davies and John Pinkney are I sailed with them all

Mick

Derek Roger
30th August 2008, 20:42
Welcome to the site Enjoy the trip . Regards Derek

R58484956
31st August 2008, 11:45
Greetings Chris and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

d.r.wing
31st August 2008, 19:13
Hi Chris, did you grow up in Lytham Close Reading, if so I remember telling you and other local youngsters about my life at sea. I have often wondered if those tales influenced the Chris I knew. Either way nice to see another BP man on board.
Regards.

Bruce Carson
31st August 2008, 20:14
Chris, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
With that list of ships, it's no surprise that the responses are already beginning to roll in.

Bruce

Steve Woodward
31st August 2008, 20:41
Chris,
Welcome to SN from Chatham, enjoy your time with us
Steve

chrishandel
3rd September 2008, 11:00
Hi Chris, did you grow up in Lytham Close Reading, if so I remember telling you and other local youngsters about my life at sea. I have often wondered if those tales influenced the Chris I knew. Either way nice to see another BP man on board.
Regards.

Yes, that's me. You must have lived at No. 9? Sorry to say, but I can't remember you talking about it, but that is old age for you!! Don't know if you remember my Dad (bert). He died 2 years ago

chrishandel
3rd September 2008, 11:01
Chris
Sailed with you on the Pioneer.
Hope your keeping well.
Incidentally were you on the Pioneer when a ships side valve stub pipe fractured on our way up the West African coast and in spite of the engineers best efforts we had to head for Las Palmas for urgent repairs with ALL bilge pumps going non stop just to keep the bilges below the bottom plates in the engine room.
I paid off in Las Palmas with 3 or 4 others.

Dave Edworthy Leckie

Dave

Good to hear from you. No I missed that episode. Were you there when we went out to Korea? 1st ever BP Tanker to go there?

gadgee
6th September 2008, 14:08
Capt. JAP Farret gets a mention above. Sailed with him on the Industry in late 1969 when I was 3/O. Big gangly chap with sideburns who would tell everyone about his French ancestors and that his name was (if I recall correctly after 39 years!) Jean Albert Pierre Farret pronounced Farray. Funny what comes back!!

DAVELECKIE
6th September 2008, 17:28
Capt. JAP Farret gets a mention above. Sailed with him on the Industry in late 1969. Big gangly chap with sideburns who would tell everyone about his French ancestors and that his name was (if I recall correctly after 39 years!) Jean Albert Pierre Farret pronounced Farray. Funny what comes back!!

Also sailed with Jack Farret on either the Pioneer or Renown, found him to be great "fun", always ready for a good "crack" in the officers bar. Anyone heard if he is still with us and where he resides?
Going back to the Pioneer Chris, I was not aboard for the trip to Korea, joined her in Skaramanga drydock, through the Suez canal on a couple of ballasted southbound voyages and around the cape loaded.

Dave

chrishandel
10th September 2008, 21:06
Also sailed with Jack Farret on either the Pioneer or Renown, found him to be great "fun", always ready for a good "crack" in the officers bar. Anyone heard if he is still with us and where he resides?
Going back to the Pioneer Chris, I was not aboard for the trip to Korea, joined her in Skaramanga drydock, through the Suez canal on a couple of ballasted southbound voyages and around the cape loaded.

Dave

I rejoined the Pioneer on 20/12/78 in Skaramanga. The old man was Doug ?? a real drinker! Were you there then? We sailed through the canal and Dougie anchored up in the Bitter Lakes overnight. Much telegraphy traffic from London as to why we had stopped

chrishandel
10th September 2008, 21:09
Capt. JAP Farret gets a mention above. Sailed with him on the Industry in late 1969. Big gangly chap with sideburns who would tell everyone about his French ancestors and that his name was (if I recall correctly after 39 years!) Jean Albert Pierre Farret pronounced Farray. Funny what comes back!!

Yes I remember deck cadets telling pilots etc that his name was Farret (with a hard T) only for him to say that it was Farray.

Nice bloke though

Geoff_E
10th September 2008, 21:54
Certainly remember John Pinkney, a lovely man. Sailed with him on the "Hazel"? when I was 2/0. Is he still with us? I hope so!

DAVELECKIE
11th September 2008, 21:18
I rejoined the Pioneer on 20/12/78 in Skaramanga. The old man was Doug ?? a real drinker! Were you there then? We sailed through the canal and Dougie anchored up in the Bitter Lakes overnight. Much telegraphy traffic from London as to why we had stopped

Chris
Thinking back we had quite a few main steam leaks on the boilers etc and had to carry out repairs not long after leaving Skaramanga.
I believe we did go through the canal.
The "old mans" name escapes me, but I think he left at Ras al Khaimah on arrival in the Gulf.

Dave

marie farret
15th September 2008, 22:15

Dave

Jean Albert Paul Farret is my father. He is still alive in his eighties. He lives in Sheffield with his second wife. His first wife (my mother) died over twentyfive years ago.

gadgee
15th September 2008, 23:38
Good to hear of your father Marie. At least I got most of his name correct even after 39 years! Now you mention it, I do recall his Sheffield links.

DAVELECKIE
16th September 2008, 20:46
Marie
Great to hear your Father is still with us.
Enjoyed sailing with him, had a great sense of humour!

Dave

Rob.Norrie
18th September 2008, 00:57
Must have sailed with you, on the Hawthorn, I always remembered Capt. Roger Knight, a very decent man I was Cat.Off in her. Done 2 years on her. Good ship. Good ports sometimes. Lot of names I mind and sailed with quite a few. John Wharrie, Br.Ranger I think. don,t have Dis.A book at moment.
He was very straight in this time, I think he changed a little when he was in his latter ships. sad to hear he died not so long ago, he had moved from Bishopton to N.E.Scotland.
Stan Davies/John Picken, a good pair liked them both.
few others.....also.
Good to read of these times and the days how, some ships were good and others well, not so good.
Regards, Rob.

chrishandel
25th September 2008, 15:44
I was only on her for a month. Joined in dry dock in Amsterdam. One of the River boats was in having her accomodation cut off to put a new boiler in after the first one had melted due to a lack of water!

We sailedd and got orders to go to Australia so I transferred off to the Gannet. Much more pleasant wandering around the med. Also went up to constanza in roumania

DAVELECKIE
25th September 2008, 21:04
I was only on her for a month. Joined in dry dock in Amsterdam. One of the River boats was in having her accomodation cut off to put a new boiler in after the first one had melted due to a lack of water!

We sailedd and got orders to go to Australia so I transferred off to the Gannet. Much more pleasant wandering around the med. Also went up to constanza in roumania

I was on the Hawthorn when we sailed to Australia, from the Gulf to Kwinana from memory.
Then spent 5 months sailing around Australia, New Zealand, Fiji etc etc.
Superb!! Our partys in Auckland, Napier were legendary!
Paid off in Port Moresby, flew home first class via Hong Kong.
Our plane had problems there and volunteers were asked for to stay in Hong Kong for 2 or 3 days, hotel paid for by British Airways.
From memory the 4 or 5 of us from BP had no hesitation in offering to wait a couple of days for a flight home.
In fact we even rang BP in London about our financial "plight" and they arranged for the agent in Hong Kong to come round to our hotel and issue us with some "financial help"!
Superb trip on an excellent vessel with a superb crew.
Sid Fewlass was Chief engineer and Willie Cosgrove 2nd Engineer, both from Hull.

Dave

mikeharrison
25th September 2008, 23:44
Sailed with JAP Farret on one of the R class (the Resolution I think) round to Panama to do the Valdez/Panama transhipment in Parita Bay. Jack called his night orders "billet doux".

I believe that Cyril Picken retired to Island Magee near Larne in Northern Ireland.

Regards, Mike

bert thompson
26th September 2008, 09:21
Reading these postings brings back memories. Sailed with Cyril Picken when he was 2nd. Mate on the Endeavour. Met him later when he was Master of Br ???on the Tyne. Expect he is well retired now.
Often wondered what became of Alan Henderson from Larne. He relieved Cyril as 2nd. Mate The others I remember were Ch. Mate Tosh Campbell, George Reeves and Bill Young (senior) Masters were Jeorgeson and J N Williams Happy days
Bert.

Electric Al
26th September 2008, 10:45
Dave
sailed on the Hawthorn just after you. Relieved a lad called Green I think his name was. On the same run around Aussie Fiji etc. It was Uncle Sid,s final trip. We had a very emotional leaving party for him. Bill is actually from South Shields, but born in London. Bill and I also flew home first class from Melbourne, excellent flight.

DAVELECKIE
26th September 2008, 21:21
Dave
sailed on the Hawthorn just after you. Relieved a lad called Green I think his name was. On the same run around Aussie Fiji etc. It was Uncle Sid,s final trip. We had a very emotional leaving party for him. Bill is actually from South Shields, but born in London. Bill and I also flew home first class from Melbourne, excellent flight.

A few years after the Hawthorn sailed with Willie Cosgrove again, possibly on a River boat and did a trip into Saltend? [Hull].
Willie and I went round to Sids house and we took him out for a few drinks.
Happy days!
Sid was as enthusiastic as ever and proudly showed us solar panels he had made and fitted to the roof of his house. This was in the early days of solar power but Sids engineering "expertise" was something to behold.
Would love to know if anyone on here has any info on these two characters.

Dave

Dave

JohnBP
26th September 2008, 21:24
Welcome sailed on the Curlew also

stan302
26th September 2008, 21:45
Sailed on the Promise with J A P Farret late 1975 as a first trip cadet transferred from the Centaur. Happy ship if I remember rightly but seemed to spend alot of time covered in green paint! Nice to hear J A P is still alive and well. As one of the first skippers I sailed under I have fond memories of him.

Electric Al
27th September 2008, 10:25
Bill lived in Harton Village in Shields for years, used to bump into him now and again. last I heard he had moved to chain block alley AKA Cleadon Village. I did a ship visit from the Tay to another river boat, off Lome I think and Bill was the C/E. Also did the 8 week instumentation course with him at Croydon ? we stayed at Blackheath.

DAVELECKIE
27th September 2008, 20:44
Bill lived in Harton Village in Shields for years, used to bump into him now and again. last I heard he had moved to chain block alley AKA Cleadon Village. I did a ship visit from the Tay to another river boat, off Lome I think and Bill was the C/E. Also did the 8 week instumentation course with him at Croydon ? we stayed at Blackheath.

The 8 week instrumentation was an excellent course and an even better social experience!
The breakfast at the hotel on Blackheath common was an experience not to be missed!!!! Ive never seen anything like it since, it seemed as though the whole of London was trying to get breakfast at the same time and the staff were totally overun, you never got what you ordered but it was such a laugh it was a waste of time complaining.
The mini bus driver was like Emmerson Fittipaldi and the trip to and from Sidcup was done in record time every day!

Dave

Jean.Farret
31st October 2008, 22:53
Delighted to see someone remembers an old sea dog after all these years, most impressed with your good memory, Paul .
Living in Sheffield alive and still kicking at 82. Swallowed the anchor Dec 1980 after almost 40 years with BP.
Last command was British Renown as transhipment master Panama.
I was delighted to find this forum which gives me a chance to talk with some of my old shipmates, I have many fond memories and would love to share them.
Very best wishes to all
Jean (pronounced 'John', I'm French you know :)! )

gadgee
1st November 2008, 00:15
Hello Jean good to have you as a member of Ships Nostalgia. Yes I sailed with you on the Industry. You were Master when I joined at Las Palmas in September 1969 but you were relieved by Francis(?) Lamb who was the C/O to start with, then got promoted sometime during the voyage. I paid off at Bandar Mashur in March 1970. I was Uncertificated 3/O.

chrishandel
1st November 2008, 21:46
Jean, nice to hear you are alive and well.

Whatever happened to F W Lamb? I remember him dancing (if you could call it that) in the officers bar with my wife until some ungodly hour and then being up and about for a 7 Bells breakfast. Constitution of an Ox

John Rogers
1st November 2008, 22:32
This thread has to be one of the best on the board,old shipmates finding each other along with family members,you just cant beat it.

John,as is John Not Jean as in French. Ha Ha.

jonsea
2nd November 2008, 00:21
I am very pleased to hear that JAP Farret is alive and well! Very nice to hear from you (Thumb)

I served under you as 3rd Mate on the Renown in '78 - '79

Jon

gadgee
2nd November 2008, 00:33
Chris
You mention Francis Lamb. You have stirred memories of me regularly sitting with him in his cabin after midnight having a night cap when he became master, and me only a lowly uncert third mate.

cheryl
1st September 2009, 21:57
I sailed with Captain Jack (Black Jack) Farret twice British Mallard and the British Pride, One of the best masters that I sailed with. Met up with him on a BP pensioners do a couple of years ago and had a great time recalling all the good times spent at sea. Alan

jmirvine
9th September 2009, 22:24
Radio Officer who would like to catch up with anyone I sailed with:
British Grenadier 1972 - Skipper J R Scott
British Surveyor 1972-173 - Skipper J A Webster
British Statesman 1973 - Skipper A B C Brown / Seaman?
British Curlew 1974 - Skipper Stan Davies/ J Pinkney
British Hawthorn - Skipper R A Knight (only onboard for 1 month)
British Gannet 1974-1975 - Skipper C O Picken
British Promise - 1975 - Skipper J A P Farret
British Explorer - 1976 - Skipper R H Bell
British Pioneer - 1977 - 1980 - Skippers W Frost, H Brown, E Coates and others
British Poplar - 1980 - Skipper R waite
British Reliance - 1980 - Skipper J Wharrie
British Vine - 1981 - Skipper ?

Joined the Curlew on 1st August 1973 in Saltend. Can't remember who the skipper was, but the Chief was completely stark-raving bonkers! George something, I think. He had tropical fish tanks in his cabin, and hated leckies. Kept on sacking them. Apparently, I was the 3rd leckie in 3 months. Him and I had a blazing row the day after I joined. I told him that the job would be done MY way or I would be off the next day in IOG. After that, I was his blue-eyed boy! Left on 5th Jan 74 in Grangemouth

Steve
15th June 2010, 09:50
The following message was sent to you via the Ships Nostalgia Contact Us form by Jean.Farret.

--------------------------------

I am writing as the son-in-law of the above member who has sadly died, could you please advise me as to your preferred way of updating the website to this effect?

Many thanks Andrew Green

gadgee
15th June 2010, 22:18
Sad news - seems like only yesterday that I sailed with Captain Farret on British Industry instead of 41 years ago! See posts #17 above from Marie Farret and #31 from Jean Farret himself in October 2008. Condolences to all his family. He must have been 84 years old.

stan302
21st June 2010, 12:27
Very sad news and my condolences to his family. As a young apprentice Captain Farret once sent me out on the bridge wing in thick fog as we approached the channel and told me to whistle up some wind to blow the fog away.

Georgeallan
9th August 2010, 02:50
Chris, I left the Grenadier in March '72 and J.R. was Master. I was 2/0 (first trip) and Ian Webber was 3/0. Can't remember too much about it now, but your name is very familiar.

George Allan